Hi, meet a female climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
.an a good feed ov pork pie un mushy peas .barm cake ,haddock an chips wi scraps..a couple pints tetleys bitter..by ek youll have a gooden tun books [a new climber]

So are you so hard up for help that you'll pay wages and meals?

I might come over for a while;) :D

I agree with Spyder that the the rolling-d might be problematic for some, especially you women AND MEN out there with boobs. Maybe a better option is a saddle or comparable saddle with a shorter bridge that doesn't go up so high.

attachment.php

love
nick

i'd use heavier rope/chord like Nick's for that trick not smaller chords for VT etc. IMLHO. Especially with some of the lower numbers quoted around here for that position in set up. A bent line is very different from a straight one, as it leverages the line.

Realizing extra loading of that line through leveraging at a flatter angle to the teepee the carabiner forms in it when loaded. Not as high up commanding a flatter angle, loading the lil'line, eye splices/knots and saddle connection more.

At 120 degrees angle the line is loaded so that each connecting leg to saddle (and thus those points on saddle) carries not half, but your full body weight. As the teepee rises, angle is less flat so each point carries less than your bodyweight/impact, at 0 degrees both ends carry 1/2 your bodyweight.

Going to the other side of 120degrees angle of the leveraged teepee in the bend of the line starts to load each end more than your bodyweight, so takes a stronger chord etc., and squeezes in on ya with that pressure too i would think. Flattening that teepee to 150 degrees and you have about 2x your bodywieght on each end of the chord/eyes/saddle, rising very sharply from there.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
So are you so hard up for help that you'll pay wages and meals?

I might come over for a while;) :D

Watch this, he is gonna teach another lesson in economics if he sets someone up on that deal again!;)
Peace,
Don't get any carpet burns on your knuckles please.
:alien:

Last edited:
Nick, don't you think that the fabric/fabric friction would wear the saddle faste then a metal link?

also makes it easier to swap out if on a link.

John, it's really not a high wear spot. The cord doesn't really rock back and forth. It tends to remain motionless while fully weighted. But you're right- a metal connector between would eliminate all doubt. One must keep an eye on it. I don't anticipate it will be all that bad. I don't like the metal links involved because my carabiners tend to get caught up in them. Sometimes I'd lean over not knowing that a carabiner is caught on a ring, then the ring would "pop" through the carabiner (righting itself). That "pop" would scare the crap outta me!

Ever since I went to the straight rope, it's been smooth sailing! The picture I just posted has a bridge of 3/8ths Yalex. On my saddle, I have 1/4" vectrus. I am going to replace it with the fatter yalex. (do you like how I buried the tails of the fisherperson's knots....so it's nice and clean!:) )

Yeah, if anyone is going to be putting their own bridges on their saddles (like if you are getting a butterfly)...do use a line that's at least 5000lb. As KC mentioned, this is not a place for friction hitch cord. That yalex is worth 6,000lbs at 3/8ths.

love
nick

Hmmmm, never really thought about it. I've tried out a few saddles here and there, and haven't found anything that suits me better...yet.

What are you getting at?

Maybe I'll retire it when that loop wears through:D

love
nick

Hi Slayer,
Just a reminder from someone that's got a few years on you....
You might not always ge able to handle that 066 in the tree....

But even then you'll be a good if not great climber... Getting more done with less energy is the way of the Tao...

God Bless and save me some deer liver this fall..

Thanks,
Daniel

Meet another?

Lauryn, if you haven't already, you might want to meet Melissa Lawler, who is the Production Fore...person for the Care of Trees office in Gaithersburg. She's been climbing for 7 or maybe even 8 years, and is active in the ISA competions. She's good people and lives pretty close to you in Potomac. Her email is [email protected]. Welcome and Good luck!

Hey TreeSpyder, here are the actual force calcs of the floading D setup. Remember that when you move the upward force from this shown center position from one side to the other it will effect the forces applied to the saddle by changing the angle of the floating D rope. Hope this helps and gives some insite into just how much force is seen by the saddle. (the file is a doc file)

Hey NickfromWI, I would really like to know how you buried the ends of the double fishermen's loop. Thanks.

Stephen

Originally posted by VTMechEng
Hey NickfromWI, I would really like to know how you buried the ends of the double fishermen's loop. Thanks.

Stephen

Is it just a bury splice? That would make sense. Just bury the tail.

Nick why didnt you just splice the eyes instead of the fishermans knot?

Let's keep this one on topic!

I used to work with a girl at the Care of Trees. She was pretty good. She climbed good sized trees (70-80') no problem!

love
nick

Lumberjack and VTME- New Bridge Thread

Welcome, Lauryn!!

Out here in Seattle, ITCC competitor Kathy Holzer owns her own one truck and crew outfit aptly called "Out on a Limb Tree Service" and she can...

...get out ona limb!

I've never worked with a female climber, but would love to. I've some female mt and rock climbing friends who are amazing. One thing women tend to do, being down in physical strength and brawn is to finesse and think their way through tasks.

We're halfway through a 4 large elm removal (DED killed, the first I've worked on out here) Major rain yesterday made the job a drag, but today there is 14 inches of fresh powder in the hills and still dumping, so I'm out the door to play. The trees can wait!. Yeehaww!!

Here's the old man relaxing...

...till touchdown:rolleyes: :blob2:

If I could have my way right now, I would have every tree climber on this forum bring their chippers and ground crew to the residential woodlot I just finished. The owner actually believed I was going to remove every twig and rotten goontree from the forest floor! Talk about unrealistic expectations.
Plus with the snow rotting and all, their little microcosm looks like a bad haircut. Good thing I have a 180 day permit, when everything greens up they will wonder what they were whinning about. The whinning increased by the power of ten when I placed the cheque in their hands for 32 nice stems off 17 acres. Oh well, I am sure they will love me when I finish the trails and it all greens up.
John

Welcome VTMech, quite a fiery lil'Lass ya got thar; holding her own here, already started a thread that is in top 10 for replys and views for any thread in the Climber's Forum since it started; only she did it in ~1 day, compared to some threads running a month or so! MB, ya might 've been a quick riser, but ya might have competition here!

VTMech, them numbers and symbols, get to lookin'Greek to me; so i cheat. Dave Spenscer of VerticalPro posted a sheet a while back at TB, been rewerked some; it shows 2 angles for lifting on a "2:1" to some, at different angles called a DWT'round these parts. For simpler stuff than that i just use the same spreadsheet, just reading "m"(weight), "A"(angle), and "t"(line tension) values. It too assumes pull from middle, i think same pattern as your calculation, but some discrepancy ~10degress per the loading value you quote. Same pattern and ~rise, none the less each good enough for guestimating.

The filter doesn't accept .xls extensions. So i just made it end in .txt and it goes, but you have to change it back to .xls manually; to read in Excel, then if you change the weight or angle values,the sheet calculates the permutations of the rest of the table, spread out in 10degree increments for easy comparison.

It is my observation that the percentage of the leveraged loading to the actual load is the same at any given degree; and there the pattern of loading is evident. Also, the more dynamic loading change per degree of change is greater nearer to flat. It takes 0-120 degrees to change the loading 50%, but only then 20 degrees more (120 to 140) to change the leveraged loading almost the same 50%! i think that bending the line 1 degree from flat to 179 degrees, gives mind blowing leverage, making sweating in a tight line fantastic!

Glad your here! My HTML changeover for Excel isn't werking, so i can't post a 'stagnant' sheet that you can't change the numbers on, but anyone could read.

Though with a text extension, this should open up to Internet language HTML for a sheet for anyone to see but not change.

The previous is the actual working calculator, if you change the extension to .xls, and open in Excel.

Latest posts

Back