Hi, meet a female climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish there were more women in tree work, I'd gladly hire one. I don't see size as a big issue, yes you need to be strong to take down a big tree with a big saw, but I bet after a short while a 110lbs person could do it (after they have developed those saw & climbing muscles).
I was working in a new neighborhood under developement --taking down 3 live oaks killed due to construction --Told the home owner to sue the developer... Across the street a ways a lot is being cleared all woman crew driving the big cats pushing over big pine trees, and driving big trucks hauling away the debris "Jills Trucking". Here I know of a woman owned and run tree service and another women owned and operated landscaping business, both are very polular and I hear both are always booked up about 1 month out year round.

I hope you will be in the business for the long haul, you seem very sharp and I'm sure you will be sucessful if you stick to it. Make a plan to be on you own within a set period of time don't get lost being an employee.

I spent some time in Williamsburg last year --and met your no hard hat friend. Except when I saw him on the job site he did have his hard hat on, and he does a good job of running tree crews --he does like those big saws! The Va area that I was in was ripe for a setting up a good tree biz, the yellow pages were only about 3 pages long in a fairly large town with a BUNCH of trees. Just ask the Slayer he knows VA tree work.
Welcome, and good luck!
Greg

I have at least a dozen hardhats and different styles of hearing protection in my garage. see picture. we were the only company during Isabel I saw
(out of a hundred) in full PPE, including red hard hats and reflective vests for the ground labor.

Lauren, I apologize if I offended you about your skills or gender, or temperment. I was defending myself, and you are more than welcome here as far as I am concerned.

JPS ran a tight ship, I appreciate his no nonsense approach to safety. a month of 70 ton crane work 10 -12 hours a day, 6 days a week. 4-6 laborers most days, and 4 climbers on 2 crews.

0 injuries on the ground.
1 minor cut in the air.

0 injuries on the ground.
thanks again John.

hi greg, how's it going?

:blob2:

attachment.php

Dave,
You put a lot of money in the pockets of that team.... You took care of those guys and that's commendable... Though I never saw your crew at work other than JPS taking the dead top out of a small holly with a pole saw, I can imagine it was fun to watch those men work....
PS greg... those three pages turned to almost nine real quick cause a lot of folks realized what a great place to live and work that was...

wimin

ive been told by my gaffer that he has only had one lassie ask for a job and that was ages ago, he said he would have taken her on if it wasnt for the fact folk would end up saying 'but they got to work with her yesterday'.......juvenile i agree but it was his call..... from what he told me it was a long time ago and she was a bonnie lassie

more power to women in this industry, and the sports i partake in. both are very male dominated

jamie

Hey Kathy!!

A big welcome to ya too!

I passed you on the fwy a while back...nice looking rig!

I'm off to ski deep powder today, but will soon post a thread on the huge DED elm removal we just finished, along the Snoqualmie River near Carnation.
Here's a teaser:

! more, awesome sunset light. We worked till after 7m pm last nite to get done...must have done 35-40 crane picks.

welcome lady

Welcome lady.
I wear the Master saddle. Like it just fine for them long removals especially.
You be safe up there.
Here are a few ropes youll be looking at buyin. I like the New England products. Its the Hi visable orange ones.1 is durn near 7 years old and look, its still working fine a little short thou:)
Heres the pic

Roger that John Paul. I hardly climb on it anymore. I do use it to rope small limbs.
Here is a pic of a buddy I've shown one knot to.
He has his own tree service now but has already in les than 1 year had two close calls.
I have outfitted him with the best gear I could find in hope that he will not end up as so many of my nearest tree buds have.
Heres his pic and his gear
What is wrong with this picture?

100% American?

Jeez

100% McDonalds....... :laugh:

Don't understand where these stereotypes of Americans come from.........:eek:

Back