Hi, meet a female climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be the legend for the different points on the previous stagnant sheet, as it didn't load with the work around enabling posting through the filter here.
attachment.php

good lord, what a lot of attention a female climber gets all of a sudden. hey lauren, welcome. if i could figure out how to edit my username you'd know i am a female climber as well. and thanks
RB for the mention. my name is kathy holzer, and i've been climbing for 10 yrs or so. just for the record, the biggest tree i've ever pruned was a 175' Doug fir, and the biggest removal i've been the climber on was another doug fir that only got to about 130' before i showed up. i was the climber, it was raining and blowing 30mph and me and three guys on the ground had it down and chipped by lunch. i'm 5'9" 160 and can out-climb most of the guys i know. don't let them get to you lauren, it's all possible if you decide it is.
i just bought the glide and used it for the first time today. verdict isn't in yet - lots of tweaking to do. i climbed for years on a weaver sliding d and actually wore it last week. still the most comfortable ???? saddle of the 5 or 6 i own, but it's HEAVY.

Originally posted by treegeek
good lord, what a lot of attention a female climber gets all of a sudden. hey lauren, welcome. if i could figure out how to edit my username you'd know i am a female climber as well. and thanks
RB for the mention. my name is kathy holzer, and i've been climbing for 10 yrs or so. just for the record, the biggest tree i've ever pruned was a 175' Doug fir, and the biggest removal i've been the climber on was another doug fir that only got to about 130' before i showed up. i was the climber, it was raining and blowing 30mph and me and three guys on the ground had it down and chipped by lunch. i'm 5'9" 160 and can out-climb most of the guys i know. don't let them get to you lauren, it's all possible if you decide it is.
i just bought the glide and used it for the first time today. verdict isn't in yet - lots of tweaking to do. i climbed for years on a weaver sliding d and actually wore it last week. still the most comfortable ???? saddle of the 5 or 6 i own, but it's HEAVY.

Welcome to AS....

2 gals in one week... things are lookin up!!

I tried the glide, and it seemed mighty bulky, with alot of adjustment tho... Make sure you keep the buckle's dogs free to move and engage fully!

Have you tried the ness work saddle, I love mine, and it is simpler, and cheaper than the glide. However it lacks the floating D.

that looks like my old new tribe saddle - same thing? i sold it to one of my ground guys- i didn't like it all that well, except for the weight :)

Originally posted by treegeek
that looks like my old new tribe saddle - same thing? i sold it to one of my ground guys- i didn't like it all that well, except for the weight :)

Did yours look like this?
workfront.jpg
workback.jpg

Do you perfer the floating D?

Carl,
Does that center D on the New Tribe saddle slide for greater mobility, or does it stay put? I'm thinking about either their new pro work saddle or the smokejumper (I kind of like all those extra loops on the legstraps) for my next saddle.

Rumi--I'm sure Carl with give a reply here in a bit, but 'til then...

The center D does not slide much at all.

I like the looks of the pro model, too. It's very much like the customized work saddle that I had New Tribe build for me. You could do a lot worse for a lot more money if you went with either of those saddles.

Ditto, what Burnham said. The linkage to the waist belt (the delta link) keeps the center D from actually sliding far but the whole set up allows for good mobility. I think it is a great compromise-more "firmness" than a standard floating D but much better pivoting capability than a 4 D set up.:cool:

Originally posted by rumination
Carl,
Does that center D on the New Tribe saddle slide for greater mobility, or does it stay put? I'm thinking about either their new pro work saddle or the smokejumper (I kind of like all those extra loops on the legstraps) for my next saddle.

Dont know why is didnt see this last night... was on here till 12 or so.

To answer, no it stays put. There is a floating D, but that is on the leg straps (one reason why this saddle is so comfy IMO).

However it isnt hard to twist around (your waist) in the belt part of the saddle, as the floating D on the leg straps moves with you, and still supports you.

It suits me for an all around great saddle, and you can sleep in, trust me:).

Just incase you forgot about it, or have never seen it, this was my first "saddle".

It is great for repellin if its all you got, but not much else. It would be considered a floating D.

attachment.php

Oh... Those are Sherrills newest chainsaw pants!!

floating D calcs

I can tell you that my numbers are correct and it is the correct way to calculate the forces applied to the saddle connection points. This is the kind of stuff I did for 4 years of college and for the professional engineering exam. If you have any questions regarding the method feel free to send me a private message and we can talk about the calcs. I am reposting the word file with a few corrections to help aid in explanation. Sorry for the confusion and I know it is really geeky (I am an engineer) but this kind of stuff can save your life. Always multiply your force numbers by AT LEAST a 3.5 factor of safety because the force of your body is much larger while ascending and moving around the tree.

Outstanding, and ya know i will!

Like i said, i claim not such an expertise at that depth of crunching, just chart reading, pattern finding perhaps.

To me examing the exact numbers is for finding the pattern, so that when guestimating in the field, judging whether you are in the red, yellow or green zone of leveraging/loading to help aid in better decisions IMLHO. Both calculations show the same pattern of progression nearly, so close, but only one can be right of course.

Thanx,
-KC

loads

If any of you ever want how something is calculated just let me know. If I don't know (which will probably be more often than not) I will say so but will help when I can. For the most part I can figure out forces/loading, moments, torques, etc. These include both static and dynamic situations. Also, anything relating to leverage or mechanical advantages. Man I hope I didn't regret this :D .

Hmmmmmmmmm poor VTMech; no body warned him..........:eek:

Just for fun, if you care to; what kind of leverage multiplier do you see placed at each anchor on a tight line that you bend in the middle, but only can manage 1, then 2 degrees from flat (sweating in/pretightening line) for that bend. What if beyond using the leveraging for pretightening, we suddenly, sharply bent the line for more support swooping over antanae etc., any real help as line is loaded and then bent?

i have just a few links of Dr. Pete Donzelli's left after disk crash, only these work presently:

Understanding Mechanical Advantage

Ropes and Knots for Rigging .

Dynamic Forces in Rigging

That, and "The Art and Science of Practical Rigging" of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back