How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have many wanting the chainsaws, But they came out of the woodwork when i bought a pole saw.

That is exactly my problem, EVERYBODY wants to borrow a pole saw. I have an old MS250 beater saw I sometimes loan out, but nothing else.

Its like when someone ask you to borrow money. If you can afford to give it to them and never see it again go right ahead. If not use some good common sense and say, " No" ! Hell No!! Don't ever ask me another dum ass question like, ''Can I borrow your chain Saw".

I admit, these days i will hand it over in a heart beat just for the entertaiment value.

" Oh, you want this? Help yourself, I'll just watch."

"Can I borrow your saw?" I would rather be strapped to a post and repeatedly kicked in the parts than lend out my saw or my power tools. Not so stingy when it comes to a hammer or screwdriver.:buttkick:

If they need to "borrow" a chainsaw then they are not the right person in the first place. Untrained hands dont belong on chainsaws and skilled professionals just dont ask. Turn the question around. Have you ever asked to borrow a chainsaw?:chainsaw:

I put it very simply...

NO.

There are no explainations needed, they asked, I replied.

I don't explain myself to my wife of 32 years, I certainly will not explain myself to anyone else.

I have had too many tools not be returned, or returned broken..I actually had a 30$ lock cut by a person I was building a house for... he returned a lock to me alright. A $2.50 combination lock.

I told him to keep it, then added the $30 onto his bill.

I since have had a strict policy of absolutely no loaning tools to anyone. Funny enough, I never have to replace any tools anymore.

That is exactly my problem, EVERYBODY wants to borrow a pole saw. I have an old MS250 beater saw I sometimes loan out, but nothing else.

The 250 is my loaner . I also have the same problem with the pole saw. There is another tree company that I climb for and I consider him a friend as well he is always wanting to use my pole saw. He always asks how much it cost and says that he needs to buy one but I know he never will as long as I keep letting him use mine. I try not to make friends with people who don't have chainsaws, non chainsaw owners seem strange and untrustworthy to me.​

Impolite

I agree it's impolite to ask to borrow a piece of equipment. There are very few positive outcomes in this situation. Being that they have to ask to borrow your equipment could mean many different things the most important they have no clue what they are doing or very little experience because if they had experience, would they really need to borrow anything?

Another thing, level of use, little project; go help your buddy and knock it out real quick (Scale: Never give away more than 2 hours of work, unless its family or very close friends. Equipment cost too much, risk, and you could use those hours on a profit making job or having a beer).

If its a big job, they should be advised that it's out of their skill level, buy their own saw as the work would require it, or go rent because you don't want your equipment going through that much use/abuse without you being the one doing it.

The easy answer is no. People sometimes need to be encouraged that if they need to borrow something, more times than not they are bitting off more than they can chew and you don't want your equipment being the victim of that neglect or enabling somebody to potentially hurt themselves.

My two cents, also note I said equipment not just a chainsaw and that I'm all for helping your neighbor and assisting whenever and wherever you can.

"Can I borrow your saw?" I would rather be strapped to a post and repeatedly kicked in the parts than lend out my saw or my power tools. Not so stingy when it comes to a hammer or screwdriver.:buttkick:

Oh, I would never let anybody touch a screwdriver, first thing they are going to do is use it as a prybar.:dizzy:

I'm happy to do the work for friends, but I refuse to accept the liability of having someone else use my saw. Rental centers are insured for that sort of thing. Sure, a guy who won't spend $40 on a rental is unlikely to cough up the cost of repairs if he damages your saw, but that's peanuts compared to what it could cost if he could get a jury to believe that it's YOUR fault he cut himself. Sometimes it turns out you don't know people like you thought you did.

Jack

I'm happy to do the work for friends, but I refuse to accept the liability of having someone else use my saw. Rental centers are insured for that sort of thing. Sure, a guy who won't spend $40 on a rental is unlikely to cough up the cost of repairs if he damages your saw, but that's peanuts compared to what it could cost if he could get a jury to believe that it's YOUR fault he cut himself. Sometimes it turns out you don't know people like you thought you did.

Jack

:agree2: this is unrelated, but it proves this point about people somewhat. not too long ago i was at a job at a guy's house who was injured taking a core sample at a school (he sued the school even though it was his loose-fitting jacket that got caught in his own drill :bang:). we were talking and i told him about how i got in an atv wreck at my best friend's house and ended up with 2 compound fractures in my leg. his first reaction was "well, how much money did you get from him?" i wanted to say "none! he's my friend. it wasn't his fault, you frickin' jack@$$!"...people will find a way to sue you for anything. i'm an independent insurance adjuster and deal with liability a lot. DON'T chance it

Any time anyone ask me to borrow any of my tools I state "If you do not own one than you do not know how to use it and both of us can not afford to buy a replacement" and I will if in the right mood offer to help

I got asked today...

My reply was "When do you want me to swing by and cut that up for you?".

It seemed like the proper thing to do considering there were tender young ears around, but the little voice in the back of my head was screaming obscenitys. :D

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

I used this one on my younger brother: after he asked if he could borrow one of my saws, I waved him in close like I had a secret. I then told him in a low voice that my saws were modified and very unsafe, and since I did not want to be the cause of his demise, I would not be loaning saws to him or anyone else. Worked like magic and no hard feelings.

I have a simple list,And mind you show it to prospective borrowers.

Lend stuff out to. NO ONE Won't lend stuff out to. EVERYONE

That seem,s to solve the problem,also have it posted in my tool shack,
which I also like to call the Love shack.:love1:

Latest posts

Back