How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... I still haven't fixed it, from the last time you borrowed it...

or

Do you have the money to replace it, if something happens? if they say no, then the discussion is over...

if they say yes, I tell them to use that money to go buy their own saw. :)

I just moved in to a new neighborhood. My neighbor asked me to borrow my saw Husky 268. Since there's always something wrong with it, I said why not! Figured its a good way to make friends with the neighbor. He then called me randomly a few days later and asked what kind of "supplies" he needs.

Me: Supplies?

Neighbor: You know, gas, fluids. I want to be prepared with everything I need.

Ummm, 50:1 gas/oil mixture, chain oil

Ok, I'll go ask for it at the hardware store.

Me Thinking: Is he really going to ask for premixed gas at a hardware store? Uh oh, I can't tell him he can't borrow it now! I was a bit worried since he obviously never used a chainsaw before (or any 2 cycle engine for that matter!). I talked to him later and explained it was dangerous and he had to be familiar with it. He then explained his brother is flying in who's familiar with it. I said ok, and handed it over along with premixed gas, chain oil, funnel, etc. For all I know it would have been filled with kerosene. Neighbor's still alive and even has all his fingers and toes.

In general, I'm a big advocate of borrowing tools. Unfortunetly, chainsaws are probably the more dangerous kinds and you can tell a newbie right away: full throttle when they're almost through the log and 1/2" from the dirt - oh and there goes the dirt :mad2:

Years ago I was working as a sub and was sent out to clear for a sandmound all the way out in the middle of Upper Nowhere Bucks County. The area for the mounds were marked and we were told not to disturb the ground WHATSOEVER. The Bawss just hired these 2 muscle headed juicers from Northeast Philly with tatoes on their necks. Well, at least i thought they had necks, it was hard to tell. They were in their early 20's, talked only bull####, didn't know nothing, couldn't accomplish anything without a fight or a tantrum. They would follow me around telling me about their expertise and how many little girls they could round up. I guess I was mildly ammused.
First thing after the bawss leaves the " little " one walks up and grabs my 026. I put up a small argument but I wasn't going to shoot the dumbass over this and that is what I would of had to do to stop him so off he goes into the bush leaving me with my smoke and coffee.
A few rpms later a tree crashes onto the sandmound and he limps out, jeans shreaded bleeding like a SOB from a cut just above his knee but not talking anymore bull####. I whip out my big Gerber, he thinks I am going to finish him off and is now getting a little nervous. I help him up on the tailgate and cut the rest of his pant leg off and break out first aid. Good thing he was so thick cause after cleaning him up the cut was only meat deep. I got it closed up with a few butterflies and covered it with a Kotex, put him in the passenger seat and just happened to have a lollipop which I gave him. He asked me why I was being so nice to him after he was such a #######, I explained the alternative and calmly asked him to just sit there and be cool. After that day I never saw him again.
His buddy, the real big one, stayed on for a few more days until he ran a tree truck into a Camaro while talking on his cell phone. He had challenged me also one morning in the yard over some fantasy his mind made up. I tried to secede, I even apoligized for something i didn't even do. I don't know what he was talking about but he wouldn't let it go and kept coming. I could see the crazy in his eyes. I think the guy was pretty dumb to, i mean who brings their fists to a chainsaw fight? Really, this guy comes up to me while I am putting a saw together on my tailgate. There's axes, chains, saws, ####ing 30/30 hanging right there. I am glad the steroids and his ego didn't completely take over his brain and he was able to make the good choice. Yes, i could have danced around this meathead and just let him beat himself up. No, I am not stupid enough to get into a fistfight with anybody, big or small, for any reason.
A few days later the stump grinder guy, your average normal person, shows me his big ass .44 revolver and told me Roid Boy made him uneasy enough to wonder the same things i did. The company was full of severe hardcases but we all got along and did our jobs, looked out for each other. Sometimes a groundy would freak out but that's to be expected. Mainly you can just cook em a hot dog and tell em its going to be allright. Those other two nuts thoguht were of a very different breed but in the end, well, it took a bit of work but they realized they weren't.

I did lend my 026 to the 28 year old landscraper kid around the corner just last week. He called me and said the chain froze up. I went over and saw no oil in it, only gas. He told me he did in fact put oil in it. I told him that I knew what I was getting into when I lent him the saw and no matter what he did to break it I wouldn't have been mad but since he lied to me about it our relationship was over and not to bother me anymore. Again, the kid's ego pushed him on so he starts getting loud, I don't know what he was saying, I was allready gone.

Last edited:
A trades person makes his living with his tools, the value of the tools is not the purchase price but the income they produce. the law recognises this if you steel tools the sentence is automatically doubles as you stole twice, you stole the value and you stole the ability to produce an income.

Twenty year rule

If I am still talking to you after knowing you for twenty years then a broken this or a what ever is probably not going to end the relationship. The reason I'm still talking to you after twenty years as this has not happened yet.

Respect

All my friends and family know not to ask to borrow tools.

They will ask if I can give 'em a hand with stuff, and if I feel that they wont trash something and I cannot help, I will then OFFER to let them borrow a tool.

That way if things come back messed up, it's my own damn fault.

The only Exception to the rule is my cousin. He can snag anything in the barn at any time he needs, as long as he let's me know.
He brings stuff back cleaner and working better, than when they were borrowed.
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's what my Dad taught me to do.

Anyone that doesn't work for me the answer is flat out NO. The guys that work for us and help with the wood business can ask to stay late on their own time and use my saws to cut up some firewood for their personal use, I even furnish the mix and bar oil. I tell them that is a priviledge of working with us and from day one if I catch them selling the wood, they are terminated on the spot. A couple saw on their lunch hour or we'll even stay an hour later if they all want to saw some for themselves after the bossman (my son) says their done for the day. It is a good morale booster and side benefit for the guys, some offer to pay for the mix or bar oil, it's a small price to pay for a having a loyal hard working guy. With any other person, the answer is no, I explain how much a new pro 460/660 cost, also we're in the business of making money with our saws, I'll often offer to cut a deal on whatever chainsaw work they need, unless it calls for a trainer arborist, we don't do tree trimming, removals anywhere near structures as we're not in that business, not insured for it, but refer them to a cousin who is. I'll let any of the guys who work for me use my 60 x 80 shop to work on their vehicles once, if tools aren't put up and consumables, like carborator cleaner, electric tape, etc is not replaced they know it is a one time deal, so far no issues. They all enjoy the priviledge, they know they have to shut down by 9pm, shop has it's own bathroom, I don't even go out and watch or help anymore, they just leave out the back entrance, it doesn't bother family that way.

The answer is always NO, if I don't know they are able to threat the saw properly. The only saw I would loan out anyway is the ol' 353 - nothing else.

If it ever comes to that, I'll say I just ran out of the stihl ultra and I don't use anything else. I have to buy a whole pack where I get it since they are not sold seperately and don't need to buy any until next month or year. Oh yeah I also ran out of STIHL bar oil that I will have to pick up while I'm there picking up the ultra, since it is alos all I use for bar oil.

If that then brings an offer to get all that stuff from the person wanting to borrow, I'll lend the 210C as the other saws are winterized regardless of what month it is.:hmm3grin2orange:

My liberal neighbor/friend wants to borrow a P60 with a 32" bar for his spoof christmas card this year of his 8 year old daughter pretending to cut a 6" christmas tree down with it. I'm having trouble saying yes to this even though he'll never start it. He's going to have to try use some fishing line to support it some. I just got done painting one and the other is in mint original condition. Last year his christmas card was the family and him walking into wallmart...HaHaHa. I missed the humor, but I'm sure his sweater vest wearing friends caught a good laugh.
I've got a few poulan micros I'll loan out but that's about it.

There's nothing to think up

A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!

Anyone who doesn't own their own chainsaw has NO business running one. And most of the people who buy one to "cut up a little wood in the yard" are still dangerous and shouldn't be using one, especially a medium powerful one like you got. IMO.

Ya, everyone started someplace, but without right there in your face guidance..nope, I wouldn't lend one out, onliest exception would be for someone I knew who had extensive knowledge, hands on, and their's was down for repairs or something like that, then, sure. And even then with a caveat "you break it, you own it"

Let them go rent one, let the rental agencies deal with the risk and insurance costs, etc.

Wayyy too much false Darwin award contenders macho in this world. ERs and morgues and boneyards are fulla the results.

And then ask yourself, can you afford a lawsuit? Good friend or not, they get hurt, his insurance company will take over and guarantee they will be looking at angles to transfer blame and cost. That dude's insurance company is not, and never will be, your "good friend". Guess where is the first direction they will look? "and did willingly provide an unsafe tool upon inspection improperly adjusted, with dangerous "professional grade" non safety chain on it, said tool to have been further noted as to have been "hot rodded" with an illegal muffler modification and engine work to make it more powerful than the manufacturer's offer or are willing to warranty themselves, and without offering training, guidance, supervision, or appropriate protective clothing. A pure case of negligence, resulting in serious injury and...." yada yada.

The potential is there sad to say, plus the reality of it happening.

I work with some guys on the farm here. Not a single one of them here right now I would lend a saw to. There was one I would, but he quit. He had extensive ground plus aerial work background, but none of the other guys I would trust with a saw, especially *my* saw. Boss wants to hand them a saw, swell, his lookout, but not mine.

Latest posts

Back