I think I've talked myself into a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the bucket full and if I did not have something on the back ... it gets a bit light in the ass end.. 35 HP

and I read somewhere that Kubota under rates their engines.. so they may have a bit more HP than posted

Last edited:
Looking back, yes, that is at the pivot. For comparison, I looked at the JD2305 and their bucket is rated for 562lbs at the pin.

I'm still waffling. It won't see any serious farm work. General garden chores will be what it does. It also has to be small and maneuverable enough to mow around trees and such in the yard, so upgrading to a real "tractor" vs an overgrown mower won't be ideal or affordable. I think it would be plenty of tractor for my wants. Problem is just that. They're wants, and I'm coherent enough to realize it. I also can't find the spec for it's rated towing capacity. That's something I'll have to ask.

The JD LT-180 I have now is eating it's transaxle and I'm either going to have to buy a new mower or put $800 in a 6 year old 2wd mower that isn't heavy duty enough for my lot. Too hilly. It'll just eat another transaxle given a few years.

I've got 2 more Kubota dealers within driving distance, I'll get quotes from them and see what they can do. This one quoted me $15,100 out the door, after tax. That's a hard chunk to swallow for a mower with a bucket.

Ian

$15,100?? I paid that for my L3430... and its a grand L ... its loaded.. it lacks a cab... but thats it...

I'm still waffling. It won't see any serious farm work. General garden chores will be what it does. It also has to be small and maneuverable enough to mow around trees and such in the yard, so upgrading to a real "tractor" vs an overgrown mower won't be ideal or affordable. I think it would be plenty of tractor for my wants. Problem is just that. They're wants, and I'm coherent enough to realize it. I also can't find the spec for it's rated towing capacity. That's something I'll have to ask.

Ian

C'mon people! Listen to Mr Haywood here. He is not looking for an Ag-industrial tractor. If he understands the limits of the tool, and it fits the job, then it is the right tool. I can't see anyone who would EVER be cross-shopping BX's and L-series tractors. L's are 3x the size of BX's, fer cryin' out loud!

Buy as much Hp and as big of a tractor as you can afford is often good advice, but not when you are looking to mow a half acre (or whatever he's got) plus get some extra utility out of having a bucket for the first time.

And I get it - I wish my L3130 had a bigger engine as I have used the heck out of it this summer and ran up against the power limits, but I bought used, and you always have to make compromises when you buy used. If someone told me I should buy an M as the L's are too small I would laugh at them. It would be way too big for my needs...just like here. He doesn't need a big tractor so stop trying to push him into Strip Mining-sized things for working in the yard! Sheesh! Worse than the 100cc guys over in Chainsaw ;)

C'mon people! Listen to Mr Haywood here. He is not looking for an Ag-industrial tractor. If he understands the limits of the tool, and it fits the job, then it is the right tool. I can't see anyone who would EVER be cross-shopping BX's and L-series tractors. L's are 3x the size of BX's, fer cryin' out loud!

Buy as much Hp and as big of a tractor as you can afford is often good advice, but not when you are looking to mow a half acre (or whatever he's got) plus get some extra utility out of having a bucket for the first time.

And I get it - I wish my L3130 had a bigger engine as I have used the heck out of it this summer and ran up against the power limits, but I bought used, and you always have to make compromises when you buy used. If someone told me I should buy an M as the L's are too small I would laugh at them. It would be way too big for my needs...just like here. He doesn't need a big tractor so stop trying to push him into Strip Mining-sized things for working in the yard! Sheesh! Worse than the 100cc guys over in Chainsaw ;)

There ya go, talkin sense again.

:laugh:

If it weren't for the palleted firewood demand, our eight acres would be well cared for by half the unit we now have.

If I had the shopping dollar right now, it would be the smallest or nearly so, 4x4 tractor with loader and either belly mount(expensive) or drag mower to handle all our needs. Cleaning up the 4acres of woods, maintaining the mowable areas, tilling/plowing the two large gardens(1/3ac total), or keeping the 400' of gravel driveway graded.

Rent what you need, buy what you want. Yes, its a slogan, but does contain merit.

Plenty of used 4x4 or even 2x4 20something HP tractors with loaders out there, just be patient.

Have fun shopping, and yes, you must provide photos after delivery or it only exists in your mind.

It is hard to justify the cost of the new compacts. However, with a width limitation of 48"-50" MAX and a need to pull, push and mow hill beyond the capabilities of the current generation of mass marketed lawn tractors there does not seem to be many other options.

4x4 and a 500# loader would be nice as well.

I just cannot get past the $$$ most days.

My choices were Kubota, New Holland, Cub, Brownie and a couple others.

Nobody got my $$$ yet. Good luck.

Ok, forks on that light weight bucket are probably a nogo. How about a carryall on the 3 point. Maybe a half pallet stacked 4' tall wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility? Could fill the bucket for counterweight.

Ian

sha....ya could hire me for 5 years ( well, at least for a few weeks anyway )
to do your work for $15k! By then your Kubota will be obsolete and worn out anyway.

Just think how many migrant workers you could hire for $15,000.

Or, if you can provide, say, a cherry pie every once in a while to the local warden, there's always prison labor. Sure, the quality control may suffer a bit with these last two options....

I know, I know, he wants to do his own work, be in control of the situation.

FWIW, I have a close friend with a John Deere similar to the Kubota you are looking at. I was admiring it the other day and he told me that if he had to do it over again, he would've gone with a 35hp tractor over the 25hp. His biggest complaint was that the tractor wasn't heavy enough for the loader. It wasn't heavy enough to lift a significant loose load (think gravel) nor was it heavy enough to push into any kind of pile.

As far as the mowing goes, I don't know what the mid mount deck costs, but A zero turn mower is probably one of the best decisions I ever made. I have mowed many an acre with tractors both big and small. I can tell you that the zero turn wins hands down. I cut my mowing time from 4 hrs with a tractor to 1 hour with the zero turn. I can fancy stripe and double cut the lawn in 1.5 hrs. I went from a 60" deck on a tractor to a 48" on the ZTR. If the bulk of the use that your tractor will see is mowing, buy a ZTR.

My plan was to buy a used 35-40 hp 2WD tractor with a loader for playing and the new ZTR for mowing. I haven't gotten to the tractor yet, but the ZTR was the best investment ever. It pays me 2-3 hrs of free time every week from april-november.

If I were you I stay away from the MMM. The glory of the 3PH is the easy on/off of the equipment.

3137981761_70e173ae8e.jpg

MMM can turn out to be such a goat screw that folks leave them on...

...then go into the woods with them and damage them. Or they must be so careful off the lawn that meaningful production is stifled.

I would suggest that you spend a little time on the Kubota Owning Operating forum at TractorByNet.com. There are a whole lot of guys who own the B series machines and love them. I have a Kubota M7040HD, obviously a little bigger than what you are looking at, and do all of the maintenance work myself. The two online parts suppliers I use for parts are Coleman Equipment Corp and Messick's. Both have good service and fair prices.

Haywire go to either www.fastline.com or www.tractorhouse.com and search for the tractor you desire. This will give you an idea of whats out there new or used. As for me I got an older (1977) Yanmar 240d. It is 4wd with a loader but has manual tranny and no power steering. It was in my price range and sure saves my back.

I have the fix for you. Buy a new ZTR. I have a 43hp John deere diesel tractor. It has 3 point and pto. I'll make you a good deal on that. Watch for a loader and your set for a lot less money. Problem solved when will you be here to get it?:biggrinbounce2:

Scott

You guys are killing me! LOL

I've been over on TBN reading, and found a couple minor problems with the 2660. The plastic cooling fan for the tranny is dangerously exposed without the MMM installed. I did read that they did a mid-production change that incorporated a shield to solve the problem, but if a stick pops up and breaks the fan, you have to pull the engine to replace it. Apparently the drive shaft between the engine and tranny is fixed, non-telescopic so you can't pull it out without removing the engine.

I also read something about a support for the air filter that is too light and breaks from vibration if you run at half throttle a lot.

The reviews over there are almost entirely 4-5 star. Those that have them just love them to death.

Looked at the commercial Kubota ZTR mowers, and they're $10-12k. Might as well add 3 more to it and get some utility too.

Ian

Last edited:
Just an option. maybe you could rent a bx and an L series for a day and see which you like. We have a BX22. great little tractor. Front loader best invesment for the money. HOWEVER, the are extremely light in the rear end without the backhoe. DEFINITELY put weights or calcium in the rear tires. The are EXTREMELY tippy with a load in the bucket. Also, the hydraulic hoses on the loader are junk. around 700 hrs, We have had to replace every single hose, one after another. Not saying this wouldn't happen with any other brand. But you won't go wrong buying a little bigger. Just depends on how much room you got to run it.
Yes, the transmission cooling fins on ours are trashed.

a low end L series is not that big and is built better than the bx series and will have a better resale value plus you will find a boat load of other uses you haven't even thought of yet

sha....ya could hire me for 5 years ( well, at least for a few weeks anyway )
to do your work for $15k! By then your Kubota will be obsolete and worn out anyway.

Just think how many migrant workers you could hire for $15,000.

Or, if you can provide, say, a cherry pie every once in a while to the local warden, there's always prison labor. Sure, the quality control may suffer a bit with these last two options....

I know, I know, he wants to do his own work, be in control of the situation.

BULL SPIT!!!
I have 3 Kubota tractors... and they are used in less than ideal conditions... also I know some commercial custom hire people that use Kubotas 6 days a week.. and they are in chicken houses.. ( a really bad enviroment for tractors) and they are over 5 years old and some even over 10 years.. and STILL going strong...
also hiring migrant ( read illegals) is one thing wrong today .. yes they will work but you are enabling them to stay and continue to bring more of them here

If you've never used a loader you need to be very careful. No tractor comes stock for loader use. They just don't have enough weight. I have a 72 HP farntrac 80, tires loaded and it'll lift 2,600 pounds on the forks. I use it to unload pallets of nitrogen for my hay fields and pastures. I have to be careful and go slow even on flat ground. Most of the time I hook a rotary cutter or a commercial rotary tiller on the 3 pt. to add another 1,500 lbs. so it'll be stable. I've loaded logs and I've had one rear wheel come off the ground. Go slow and react fast if things start to go wrong. If you read a lot on TBN you'll always see and read about guys laying those compact tractors over. Never lift anything any higher than it needs to be lifted. Just because you can lift something doesn't mean you can move with it.

I've seen to many midmount loaders on tractors that the transmission housing breaks. I wouldn't own a mid mount. My farmtrac has 5/8" steel that goes from the front end all the way to the rear axle. I don't worry about the tractor breaking in half.

Once you own a loader tractor you'll wonder how you made it without it. They are handy and save a lot of time. Just be careful.

Latest posts

Back