Introducing the Stihl MS201TC - MTronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my usage the 201 wouldn't likely be cutting rounds that large unless I get a bucket or start climbing. Throttle response is MUCH more important to me for a light trim saw. I have plenty of larger options for the wood Brad was cutting. When I'm cutting apart a canopy that's 1/2-3/4 of a cord in and of itself, I want the lightest tool possible, with surgical accuracy and control and the balls to get it done. This looks like it. It may eventually get the Snelling-light treatment.

On another note, I wonder what each one ported would be like with the carbed 201t tuned for torque instead of speed.
Throttle response is better on the 201TC only before the 201T is modded. After mods, the 201T is just as responsive. Tuned for torque? A proper tune is a proper tune. This 201T was tuned in the cut with the bar nearly buried.

I understand how you tune Brad. What I was stipulating was for those who like to tune either really fat or really lean, I lean towards fat as they run a bit cooler and seem to have a bit less RPM unloaded but more loaded. I guess too much time in a 172, 182, Stearman PT-17 and V-tail Bonanza have me trusting in a fat tune. The mileage isn't as good but the engine tends to be a lot happier...

I understand how you tune Brad. What I was stipulating was for those who like to tune either really fat or really lean, I lean towards fat as they run a bit cooler and seem to have a bit less RPM unloaded but more loaded. I guess too much time in a 172, 182, Stearman PT-17 and V-tail Bonanza have me trusting in a fat tune. The mileage isn't as good but the engine tends to be a lot happier...
Yeah and to replace a jug on those is big bucks.

In my usage the 201 wouldn't likely be cutting rounds that large unless I get a bucket or start climbing. Throttle response is MUCH more important to me for a light trim saw. I have plenty of larger options for the wood Brad was cutting. When I'm cutting apart a canopy that's 1/2-3/4 of a cord in and of itself, I want the lightest tool possible, with surgical accuracy and control and the balls to get it done. This looks like it. It may eventually get the Snelling-light treatment.

On another note, I wonder what each one ported would be like with the carbed 201t tuned for torque instead of speed.
The 150t?

Just for the record, I have never toasted a saw with a tune. Tuning richer than necessary does nothing good for a saw. I understand tuning a little on the rich side for peace of mind in a work environment. I do it myself. However, that's not going to give a saw more torque. That's my only point.

Nicely put together Brad. Now I know not to run out and buy a tc. Ive been happy with the 201 with upgrades anyhow. Just hot starts can get annoying after a long day. Guess time will tell if the tc version has them also.

Just for the record, I have never toasted a saw with a tune. Tuning richer than necessary does nothing good for a saw. I understand tuning a little on the rich side for peace of mind in a work environment. I do it myself. However, that's not going to give a saw more torque. That's my only point.
I didn't say you had nor was I advocating for tuning it for a constant 4-stroke. I simply like mine to 4-stroke when unloaded and just clean up in the cut. Others mileage may vary.

I'm still a hard believer in 200ts

i like the 200t as well. have two but they started giving me issues and I don't have time to fix and the dealers around here suck big time for parts and service so I just bought two new 540s.

Nicely put together Brad. Now I know not to run out and buy a tc. Ive been happy with the 201 with upgrades anyhow. Just hot starts can get annoying after a long day. Guess time will tell if the tc version has them also.

I see you hav e an echo cs 355t how do you like it ?

Two things stood out the most. One, throttle response is lightning quick on the MS201TC right out of the box. It's not bad at all on the MS201T, but definitely not equal
That is a winning factor for me. A lot of my logging consists very much pruning, and that's exactly the kind of work where I feel that trottle response is important.

Its on its last leg. Been through two carbs, two coils, mulipe av mounts and now getting hard to start.

wow in what time frame? Some one said they were good but couldn't take hard use.....

First died right at a years use. This one has made it a year and a half.

how long are the stihl top handles making it? Sorry for all the questions i think the best thing you can do is ask the guy that's using them every Day and pounding them.....Thanks for the Input...I think it was Kenjax that said the cs 355t was good but not up to par for heavy use....

Longest lasting so far down here are in this order. 200t, 150t, t435, upgraded 201t. T435 will not idle correctly though. My other friends have t540's and 338's lasting over a year. I was not that lucky.

Just as a note brad, I was informed that the m-tronic and autotune systems are programmed to run slower for the first few hours of running (5-10) during the break-in period. The husky 560/562/ j'red 2260 is limited to 13.5krpm for run-in, but opens up to around 13.8 - 14.2krpm after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both saws will only improve with more run time. They're within 5% of each other in cut times. Both are great saws.
I believe that. They prolly still have lots of break inn time left on them. Once they strech out its prolly a whole different world of response and power rpm in cut

Back