Just got an email... some cool pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father's Father started logging Redwoods in the late 1920s, he worked for a man that was his future FIL. That guy owned a couple 100 acres of Redwoods up the Van Duzen River. He had it logged to finance a dairy on the flats near Hydesville. The land bordered Pacific Lumber lands, so he contracted with PL to do the work and the logs went to Scotia by rail. The dairy did well until the Depression really took hold, he switched to making cheese, that was taken down the Eel River by raft, then to San Francisco by steamer.
My Grandfather saw that there was little money in logging, unless you owned the timber, so he went into the mill at Scotia. The amount of waste appalled him, he figured out how to increase the efficiency of the way logs were run through the headrigs. After ten years of fine tuning how lumber was sawn and handled, he was made Production Superintendent and continued to streamline mill operations. He eliminated some seriously hazardous jobs, such as barking, by having massive machinery do that type of work. The hydraulic debarker was one of those things, it saved life and limb, and sped up production. My Grandfather was considered a total bastard at work, an iron hand in a chain-mail glove.

Dang! Ive cut a few decent sized trees with my brother and my old two man saw and its not easy work. I dunno how they moved that huge saw... musta used grease or something lol. Very cool and thanks for sharing.

Incomprehensible to imagine pumping on that crosscut saw. They were all very thin, probably not an ounce of fat on any of them. Truly very hard labor in those days, huge respect for those guys.

state of the art.

Human greed will hardly let us see trees like that again. Mostly only what is protected. Like where I live at there are many clear cuts. The only thing that seems to grow back is redbrush. I support logging and respect the people who due so. I dont like it to that extreme of clearcutting. I cut trees to clear for a Flagstone quarry I work at yes. But I leave as many trees as I can that are not needed to go I remain very selective.

such wisdom coming from the east again.lmao. in fact, I think those misery whips are considered state of the art for farmers and amish alike. ever consider relocating from the big timber of pennsylvania to educate us dummies in the west?.

It makes a guy really appreciate a 6+ cube saw. I bet them fellas in the pics were tough as nails. :msp_smile:

on a show they said they averaged 5'6" and were wirey. like a colony of ants going at it. they took an old whiskey bottle, put a hook on it ,filled it with turpentine and hung it on the bark to have handy to lube the bar/cut sap.

attachment.php

Last edited:
wow! awesome pictures! those guys had to be pretty strong to get them saws movin. the 3rd photo down...the tall tree just to the left.... up the tree a bit... the branches make it look like someones peekin around at em

I think I see what you're seeing, its almost as if there is a giant face there looking down... pretty cool observation!

Must have been one hell of a felling wedge and hammer to get those things to drop where you wanted em.

Some of the pics almost look like the have to be fake, like the one with the train because your mind just can't quite wrap around a tree being that big.

Looking at those monsters, you know what I'd like to see? I've been a carpenter for a long time, and I cherish wood and its grain. I'd like to see how they milled a hugemongous redwood like that, and what type of lumber it yielded, and the grain of that lumber.

I expect my drool would short circuit my keyboard. :heart:

OG Redwood can have a very fine grain and the size means you can have a very large board with little variation and no flaws. I won't torture you with pics of my lumber pile.

Looking at those monsters, you know what I'd like to see? I've been a carpenter for a long time, and I cherish wood and its grain. I'd like to see how they milled a hugemongous redwood like that, and what type of lumber it yielded, and the grain of that lumber.

I expect my drool would short circuit my keyboard. :heart:

Splitting lumber with black powder - YouTube

actually, i came across a video, but not from that era, of course. they were milling some pretty hugs logs with a bandsaw mill, right around the 8 minute mark.

Giant Redwood Trees Being Cut Down! - YouTube

Latest posts

Back