Looking at buying a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

znate80

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this site will doing research about saws. I will be looking to buy a saw soon but have no clue as to what size I should get. Let me start out by saying I currently cut about 8-10 cords of almond wood and oak wood a year. I am currently using my dad's Jonsered. I have no clue what model it is all I know is that is about 20yrs+ old and has cut hundreds of cords of wood and still runs like a champ. I really am thinking about sticking w/a JRED since it has been such a great saw. I know it currently has a 20in. bar on it but also have a 24in bar for it. That saw absolutely mows through the wood. I would entertain a Stihl also since I have a good close dealer. I also am on somewhat of a budget. I would love to keep it below $750 otd. but however I want this thing to last me a lifetime. I have been looking at the JRED 2159c. So fire away.

stihl ms 390 and muff mod it or get a ms 440 great saws for not to bad of price. A ms 290 for that matter is cheap and not bad, i love my 290 everyone hates them tho but after a year of hard use through eucs,and droped it out of the rock crawler and submerged it in a dried up muddy pond(wasn't running), I took it all apart and cleaned it all up and took the muffler off and no scoring at all.a new saw is goin to be slow till it breaks in but a full skip chain and a 20" bar on mine and it never let me down

With $750.00 you got a lot of options. The 7900 seems to be a good saw on the forum. Keep a eye out in the classifieds, with 750 you may get two saws in there. Use the search button and you will find out what are the preferred saws on the forum.

How big is the wood you generally cut? That will determine the right sized saw. There is little point in getting a big heavy saw if you rarely cut trees over 20" in diameter, see what I am saying? If you need the horsepower and like Jonsereds take a hard look at the 2171.

I haven't checked prices lately but for $750 you do have allot of options. I would go a little bigger and get the J-Red 2165 and be done with it. I think you'll have a little left over, so I'd use that for a log jack and a hookeroon to make life easier.

How big is the wood you generally cut? That will determine the right sized saw. There is little point in getting a big heavy saw if you rarely cut trees over 20" in diameter, see what I am saying? If you need the horsepower and like Jonsereds take a hard look at the 2171.

+1

If you are running 20- and 24-inch bars, that Jred probably is at least in the 60-65cc class and may be 70cc+. But really what matters in making a recommendation is the size of the wood you're going to be cutting. If you never cut anything over 16 inches in diameter, you'll get different recommendations than if you cut a lot of 24-inch stuff.

So give us just a little more info, and take a look at the Jred model number or find out from your Dad, and include that, too, and we can get you closer to where you need to go.

Your budget will get you there for sure, and with enough left over for personal protective equipment such as Kevlar chaps and ear/eye/head protection. :clap:

Okay my dad's JRED is the 630. The almond wood I cut at the biggest is about 20in. Sometimes I also cut oak wood which those trees can get well over 24in. I really want a saw that isn't going to bog down. I have talked to a dealer and he says the JRED 2152 or the 2159 would work. But I would really like many opinions.

If you are considering Stihl, buy the 362. The predecessor the 361 has done everything from being a light saber to curing cancer, just use the search function. The 362 is even improved over the 361, better air filtration, strato engine design, more torque and less fuel useage according to those that have them. IMHO the 361 is the perfect firewood saw, the 362 must be unbelievable.

If you are considering Stihl, buy the 362. The predecessor the 361 has done everything from being a light saber to curing cancer, just use the search function. The 362 is even improved over the 361, better air filtration, strato engine design, more torque and less fuel useage according to those that have them. IMHO the 361 is the perfect firewood saw, the 362 must be unbelievable.

I would agree with that.

In the 60cc saws Stihl runs the show IMO. I have a 361 and love the saw. It is the "do everything in one" saw. They will run comfortably with a 20 and pull a 24 in anything, just a little slower than a 70cc saw. I've been eyeballing a 361 that a local dealer still has left new for $600. I'm sure that the 362 is a good saw as well, albeit slightly heavier. If you are are a power junkie you probably could find a 70cc saw for around that price. The Jred 2171 and Dolmar 7900 are two that would be close to that price new.

I would skip past the 2152 and 2159 for sure to cut that size of wood. Although they will cut it, they may end up disappionting you power wise compared to the 630. 2165 would be a decent contender. JMO The 361 is'nt what it's all cracked up to be either. I owned one and was'nt impressed at all. The Stihl MS441 or 460 now there's some saws that will eat the wood you are describing.:chainsaw:

There is a very nice/as new Stihl MS440 in the ads here for sale. Probably the closest saw to what you are running if using a 24". I really enjoy mine. Thought about buying the one here just because.

It already has the dual exhaust port installed.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with the 361 or 362. Both are perfect for all around cutting. very light for the power also. I would'nt think you would need anything bigger than that. And the 390-391 is too heavy and lacks the power of the 362. I know it's not much of a weight or power difference, but every little bit counts at the end of the day.

stihl saw

I agree with diesel 3408 I own a 390,440, 660 the 390 with a 18" bar will cut , by the sounds of it, the wood you need to cut . I my self cut about 30-40 cord per year, the 390 is by far the first saw I reach for. Hope this helps you out.

I have a 360, 361, 460, and have had a 170, and a 310, and a 372xp, My preference of the saws I have run, and what the crew says is 460, 360, 361, 372, 310, 170 you should be able to understand why the 310 and 170 are at the bottom, the main reason the 372 is so low on the list is I couldnt find a bar that would hold up for more than 3 weeks, when my stihl bars last 4 or more months. I personally like the 361 better then the 360 but the guys like the 360 better.

So My situation has changed a little bit. I just was given a MAC 700 pro w/24in bar. and a 16in craftsman. Neither one had been started in about 7yrs. Well w/a little sea foam and clean up the both started right up and running perfect. So now that I have the MAC for the bigger stuff I am really looking at something a little lighter w/maybe a 18-20in bar. So what are the good mid-size saws out there?

So My situation has changed a little bit. I just was given a MAC 700 pro w/24in bar. and a 16in craftsman. Neither one had been started in about 7yrs. Well w/a little sea foam and clean up the both started right up and running perfect. So now that I have the MAC for the bigger stuff I am really looking at something a little lighter w/maybe a 18-20in bar. So what are the good mid-size saws out there?

I typed your location into the Dolmar Dealer finder and it looks to be a few in your area. Click link below. http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/contact/dealer_locator/usa_dealers.html
If your looking for a lightweight saw take a look at the Dolmar 5105
or if a local dealer still has a 5100. They are basically the same saw the 5105 is just the updated latest greatest version. Good luck in your search. And welcome to AS.

Latest posts

Back