Making some 044, 064, 066 Dogs. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nate,

which grade of Domex ?

Wasn't familiar with Domex, in the quick look I had they look similar to two of the grades of Bisaloy that GB were using for their bars here.

You can PM me if you don't want it to be public, or just tell me to eff off as it's none of my business, just be gentle if/when you do so you don't hurt my feelings :D

Hey, pizz off ya wanker! :msp_scared:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Not entirely sure which one Mate? I could certainly find out for ya.

I wanted something like their Hardox or Weldox, but obviously thinner. Their Domex is the only thing that fits the bill.

I ordered a section of 3 mm for another project, and even with relief cuts in it -- I couldn't bend it manually without heat.

I wanted 2,5mm for these dogs, but they only go as thin as 3 mm.

Edit: Okay, just called my supplier and they couldn't tell me what grade it was? They could have dug for me, but they're busy already this morning, and I didn't want to be too much of a bother. He said he thought it was the 100 -- which of course -- I can't find on their website.

Last edited:
Okay, Gregg is giving me a deal at $7.25 a kit for the rollers. Sounds reasonable to me, and I want 4 myself.

Gotta make it 10 or more for that price -- so I think we're close? :msp_thumbup:

im going to scan the 461 dog along side the aftermarket 440 and 460 see if we can come up with a 4 point outer finally ,been busy here

While we're here and you have your verniers out, what's the width between the dogs please ?

Jut wondering if the roller will fit between some Dolkita 64/73/7901 spikes, or I have to machine some up.

The Dolly catcher is pretty much disposble, they get mangled well, but it is light :D

since the inner's are all the same i should be able to bolt the inner 4 point on my 461 ,then print a scanned copy of prototype,and bolt the paper one on to see how the points end up aligning before production ones are cut

i sent 2 emails ,one scanned dogs and one of photos for roller alignment with caliper measurements

you may need a stock inner for measurements ,the aftermarket are longer than the factory ones ,if i need to i can pop the inner off my 461 ,just let me know

Last edited:
While we're here and you have your verniers out, what's the width between the dogs please ?

Jut wondering if the roller will fit between some Dolkita 64/73/7901 spikes, or I have to machine some up.

The Dolly catcher is pretty much disposable, they get mangled well, but it is light :D

I get 36 mm Rick (inside, inside) measurement between dogs for roller length. There's at least a little adjustment there because of the Nyloc nut on the outside. That would only buy you some on the dog thickness though.

since the inner's are all the same i should be able to bolt the inner 4 point on my 461 ,then print a scanned copy of prototype,and bolt the paper one on to see how the points end up aligning before production ones are cut

i sent 2 emails ,one scanned dogs and one of photos for roller alignment with caliper measurements

you may need a stock inner for measurements ,the aftermarket are longer than the factory ones ,if i need to i can pop the inner off my 461 ,just let me know

Got the email. . . I'll start working on it.

BTW, as it's inline with a current project -- here's some Husqvarna L65 dogs. The 65 had provision for an inner dog, and bosses that could be drilled out for the clutch cover. Although, the inner dog was by far the most common -- from pictures I've seen.

The left in the picture is a factory jobby, and a 4-point I came up with on the right side. My version is a bit larger as well.

attachment.php

Okay, first test email sent. I've been printing them off and gluing the templates to thin cardboard (like cereal boxes, or poster board) then cutting them out. It mimics a dog better, and gives a guy some stiffness to mark on.

This first try might need adjustment. :dunno:

Thinking of ordering these dogs and the catchers Monday or Tuesday of this upcoming week.

I'll be PMing everyone who is on the list for a final okay before ordering.

Also, sometimes the laser is booked up for a stretch of time, so I hope we can hit a good pocket on it.

Okay, first test email sent. I've been printing them off and gluing the templates to thin cardboard (like cereal boxes, or poster board) then cutting them out. It mimics a dog better, and gives a guy some stiffness to mark on.

This first try might need adjustment. :dunno:

i should have this mocked up when my guy gets back from lunch ,had a busy morning

Hope this does it!!

Check that the teeth align in the front (coplanar) -- and if the mounts are good, it's good 2 go!

Back