Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet when I check the Dolmar and Stihl Canada websites I see that the 6100 is 3.4kW versus the 362 at 3.5kW.
Wow! 0.1kw less and whole 200g more as well (you know, like a small box of berries).
But what you don't mention is the 6100 is almost the same at 2/3 the price.

Anyway, I get it... you don't like Dolmar... still doesn't make it a bad product, and definitely not a boat anchor.
The saw becomes a boat anchor when you can't keep it going due to parts availability..
What are you guys paying for 6100's?

What parts do you need? I am quite sure me or Steve have it in stock. 2-3 days in the mail to get it to your door....or you can go to you local stihl dealer...order the part.wait 3 days..drive back to your local dealer again to pick it up. Some of us take the Dolmar..err i guess Makita brand very seriously and provide better service and parts than your average Stihl or Husky dealer.
I have no reason to doubt your commitment to service. I HAVE just never seen a Dolmar dealer like yourself and not from lack of looking.

That's also a selling point for a lot of people. Smooth av, and a long runtime without worrying about the air filter can get a lot of work done fast without getting tired.
I highly doubt it will stay running as long as a 562 or that the filtration is any better.
I wish my 562 woukd run out of gas some times it's so miserly.

I highly doubt it will stay running as long as a 562 or that the filtration is any better.
I wish my 562 woukd run out of gas some times it's so miserly.
6100 will run lots longer than a 2260/562. I had my MMWS 6100 for almost 2 yrs putting a couple gallon of fuel thru it a month. Never cleaned the filter till i decided to sell it.

AS 045.jpg

I paid $490 out the door for mine. The dealer here is one of the good old timers. I always enjoy stopping by and shooting the breeze with him, its always an hour or more it seems. Plus I think he was in an especially good mood that day when he told me the price and bought it.
I also bought a 421 the same day while I was there for $275.

Why Husqvarna hasn't caught on to the better filtration is beyond me. Hell my 2260 came with the black 80m filter[emoji15] but the flocked filters i bought work pretty good but get tapped out every tank or so.

Nut shell- Dolmar doesn't sell well anywhere. Won't change with Makita rebrand.
There is probably cost savings in their new makita rebranding. Dolmar's aren't exactly the hot saw brand anyone wants so what does it hurt to consolidate under one brand and color scheme that will probably sell the same. Less colors, less parts, possibly better distribution (yet to be seen), and any cost savings can be thrown back into marketing. Seems like a typical corporate consolidation move.

Don't get me wrong I don't support this move but I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened sooner. The original merge was like 1991-1992? I'm thinking 23 years is a long time for a corporation to phase out a brand. Just 2 cents from the outside looking in...

The saw becomes a boat anchor when you can't keep it going due to parts availability..
$420 with 24" bar 3 chains, six pack of oil, and sn awesome ball cap. And he took an old worn-out 029 off my hands.

Dolmar PS-6400 built 2001., purchased 2006., fully factory OEM, factory OEM bar also still in use, never been dismantled.
Replaced rim sprockets & chains, cleaned stock felt air filter every now and then, poured bar oil and fuel mix into the saw to run her, never sat dry.
Pulled plug a few times, never replaced it though.

Sachs-Dolmar 105 built in the 80's, purchased 1988., been abused by me till 2006., ran till October last year without ever having been torn apart.
Replaced air filter, spark plug, spur sprocket, bar, chain.
Has been ran on any oil available for bar lube, and questionable fuel mixes too (engine oil instead of 2-Stroke oil).
Only damage ever - clutch weight breakage due to a worn out clutch drum.
Clutch weight will be donated from a carcas, a new clutch drum might get ordered from EBay.

Both saws never got their carbs rebuilt, or rubber parts replaced.

Quality built saws don't need parts. :)

Dolmar PS-6400 built 2001., purchased 2006., fully factory OEM, factory OEM bar also still in use, never been dismantled.
Replaced rim sprockets & chains, cleaned stock felt air filter every now and then, poured bar oil and fuel mix into the saw to run her, never sat dry.
Pulled plug a few times, never replaced it though.

Sachs-Dolmar 105 built in the 80's, purchased 1988., been abused by me till 2006., ran till October last year without ever having been torn apart.
Replaced air filter, spark plug, spur sprocket, bar, chain.
Has been ran on any oil available for bar lube, and questionable fuel mixes too (engine oil instead of 2-Stroke oil).
Only damage ever - clutch weight breakage due to a worn out clutch drum.
Clutch weight will be donated from a carcas, a new clutch drum might get ordered from EBay.

Both saws never got their carbs rebuilt, or rubber parts replaced.

Quality built saws don't need parts. :)
They do when they are ran on a daily basis..... and if you ran a saw for 8 years with out issue, you didn't run it that much.
A logger typically will get 1 or 2 seasons out of a falling saw around here.

6100 fuel consumption 395 g/kWh @ peak kW, 395 g/kWh@ peak Nm; 3.4 kW; 6.0 kg
562...............................410....................................420....................3.1.......5.8
362...............................471....................................481.....................3.5........6.0
362cm (elec carb).........460....................................513.....................3.5........6.0

Back