Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6100 fuel consumption 395 g/kWh @ peak kW, 395 g/kWh@ peak Nm; 3.4 kW; 6.0 kg
562...............................410....................................420....................3.1.......5.8
362...............................471....................................481.....................3.5........6.0
362cm (elec carb).........460....................................513.....................3.5........6.0
I don't believe the 3.1kw figure for the 562 as it put cuts the 362c-m a friend has by a substantial amount.

Hmmm
ad605h_big.jpg
ab600h_big.jpg

ar410hr_big.jpg
an531h_big.jpg

Keep looking and you will find some other colors as well, then look in the trucks and tool rooms.

If I wanted a Senco I would have bought a Senco.

I own and have owned a lot of Dolmars, however everything newer than the 120/143/153 have all been Makitas. Everything after the 309s have been Makitas.
They were what was availible, the only new saw that I ever purchased for myself was a Makita 520, from an Orchard hardware.
Still do not own any Makita tools other than chainsaws and MPS, however I have used more Makitas than any other brand.

Forgot about the 9000s, them is kind of newer.

So what does this MPS stand for?

Multi Purpose Saw

Just to be real clear......
For all I know Makita could be changing it's spots to be red and black, which I could care less about. In the grand scheme of things that would make me laugh and possibly motivate me to call some folks that have had tool cabinets powder coated blue just to ask..."So, how you like them apples?". Might cost me a couple lunches,....totally worth it.

All I want out of life is more easily availible ,affordable saw variety, blue or red. Stihl and Husqvarna, gets boring.

Oh yeah, a freaking replacement for the 9010 would be nice.

Benny Walker is still mad about his old 7900 from 10 years ago leaking oil after he crashed it. He's had nothing better to do for the last 10 years than complain about it.
What parts do you need? I am quite sure me or Steve have it in stock. 2-3 days in the mail to get it to your door...
I don't understand why anyone is reacting to someones documentation that he has no idea whatsoever on how to use the internet or other channels to aquire spare parts...
Where the 6100 really jumps in weight is when its ready to cut. It holds more fluid than most saws do.
No need to mention that, bwalker is already exhausted when using his 562 because it is running too long...

I don't understand why anyone is reacting to someones documentation that he has no idea whatsoever on how to use the internet or other channels to aquire spare parts...

No need to mention that, bwalker is already exhausted when using his 562 because it is running too long...

The internet doesn't help much when there are no parts in the US..which was the case in my situation.

I doubt it. Makita is in Sears and Home Depot. The people that want a chain saw from a box store will either get a Husqvarna or Echo. People that are familiar with Makita for power tools will generally only use them for that. Same goes for chain saws, most will seek a Stihl or Husky, for line trimmers, another brand and so on. Whatever the brand is known for is what customers seek out. Makita OPE has been in box stores and independent dealerships and can't make a dent. They may as well get out of the OPE industry altogether.

I don't buy OPE very often, but I do take a look when I have the time; I do not recall seeing any Makita badged OPE recently or in the past.

What area are you in, and what Makita OPE products have you seen? For how long? I'm really curious to know.

I don't buy OPE very often, but I do take a look when I have the time; I do not recall seeing any Makita badged OPE recently or in the past.

What area are you in, and what Makita OPE products have you seen? For how long? I'm really curious to know.

I'm in California. I personally haven't seen any of their OPE except for the occasional chainsaw or cutoff saw. But every once in a while I'll get people call and come in asking me about Makita(Dolmar) blowers in particular because they're the only one as far as I know that makes a traditional 4-stroke with the sump. They tell me they've seen it at other small engine shops and ask my opinion on it. I have no opinion. Even had a Makita rep try to get me to take it on. I said no thanks. He asked what I would tell a customer that came in wanting a Makita product, I said I'd tell them to go online and search for a dealer. I think they've been appearing more and more and also disappearing in the last 8 years or so.

So current blue stock is being vended through Home Depot ship to home or ship to store only, not availible in stores.
And goooooodbyyyyye Makita.

Other online sources as well, just like before.

A few ProLine vendors left but none of the ones that I remember, hardware/lumber/construction supply. So that would pretty much explain why I see very little of it anymore.

Apparently Makita caught the Dolmar virus and decided it did not actually need to sell anything.

Makita/Dolmar is DEAD in California. You may as well carry Homelite, Poulan or Craftsman and you'll get better sales.

California is dominated by Echo overall in OPE. It's always interesting to come to this site and see people from all over the country talk about how Echo is a 3rd tier brand but in California, Texas, it's 1 or 2. Just shows how different each region/market is.

Which parts would that have been?

Handle bar, antivibe springs, and airbox housing. It's been awhile, so there may have been more.
The antivibe spring on the handle bar broke fairly often on the early 7900' and the wait was long to get them. Several week each time.
There is a good local dealer that I worked with who sold Sachs back in the day. He was so disgusted by the situation he dropped them.

Makita/Dolmar is DEAD in California. You may as well carry Homelite, Poulan or Craftsman and you'll get better sales.

California is dominated by Echo overall in OPE. It's always interesting to come to this site and see people from all over the country talk about how Echo is a 3rd tier brand but in California, Texas, it's 1 or 2. Just shows how different each region/market is.

From what I've seen around Houston (can't comment on all of Texas):

Pro use...
Trimmers and blowers--Echo rules. Do see some Husky & Stihl, but Echo mostly.
Chainsaws--Stihl for dedicated tree service companies, some Husky. Echo for the landscaping crews that do a little tree trimming, some Stihl.

Given the number of trimmers & blowers sold compared to the number chainsaws sold, Echo just might lead or be 2nd in sales in TX.

Back to Dolmar/Makita. Around here, about the only Makita OPE you'll see is cutoff saws, and I pretty sure those sales tie directly into Makita's presence in construction industry tools. In my mind I consider cutoff saws as a construction tool, with trimmers, blowers , & chainsaws serving an entirely industry.

From what I've seen around Houston (can't comment on all of Texas):

Pro use...
Trimmers and blowers--Echo rules. Do see some Husky & Stihl, but Echo mostly.
Chainsaws--Stihl for dedicated tree service companies, some Husky. Echo for the landscaping crews that do a little tree trimming, some Stihl.

Given the number of trimmers & blowers sold compared to the number chainsaws sold, Echo just might lead or be 2nd in sales in TX.

Back to Dolmar/Makita. Around here, about the only Makita OPE you'll see is cutoff saws, and I pretty sure those sales tie directly into Makita's presence in construction industry tools. In my mind I consider cutoff saws as a construction tool, with trimmers, blowers , & chainsaws serving an entirely industry.

Sounds about right. Except in California, it's all scattered. Because we have 2 local brands that are very popular amongst the commercial Latino landscapers. TMC and Astron whom both used to use Kawasaki engines. So for trimmers and blowers, you saw a mixed batch of Echo, TMC, Kawasaki, Stihl, Shindaiwa and the occasional Maruyama, Husqvarna.

Chainsaws are pretty much Stihl and some Huskies, but like your area, a lot of the smaller Latino landscapers like the small Echo top handles until they come see me.

I gather Echo is probably still no. 1 but Stihl has been getting more market share in the other areas now. Since the merge, Shindaiwa has been steadily dying off.

Thing with those Makita saws is you always see them around because of White caps or HD rentals, but nobody seems to service them. They always come to us and we used to service them but it became a hassle trying to order parts since we're not a dealer and also having to buy special tools to even troubleshoot them properly. We decided long ago to only service Stihl and Husky/Partner cut off saws.

Latest posts

Back