Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what other goodies do we have to look forward to? Makita took over the sales but did they rebrand them Makita with orange plastic or are they still Dolmar

The last I heard, you could still get them in Dolmar colors - but I haven't checked recently.

This thread has been interesting to follow but doesn't impact me in any way because I rarely if ever see either of those brands in this part of the country. The only Makita's I've seen is in the rental room of Home Depot. I've seen some of each at GTGs but just never encounter them otherwise. Jonsered was also extremely rare before TSC started carrying them. I almost never see .058 gauge chain either so I guess it depends on where in the world one lives.

Sachs sold their share of Dolmar to Makita in 1991. We will still have orange and black saws but we probably will see blue cordless tools along with trimmers, blowers, etc.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I don't have any insight into the corporate/marketing/dealership machinations of Dolmar. I am very lucky to have a great local dealer, who operates a very small, one-man saw shop. I bought a 510 from him several years ago, and it has been a perfect fit for my little firewood operation. Last year I ran into several larger trees, and as luck would have it, found a great deal on a new 6100. I expect to cut a long time into the future with these two saws. While I have complete faith in my local dealer, I've never needed a part except an extra bar for my 510. So, I am optimistic that if I ever need parts, my dealer will be able to get them.

As a little side story, I took my saws to my cabin in the mountains to cut firewood with some of the other guys this Spring. As usual, the rest of the tailgates were sporting Huskys and Stihls and one clever guy sitting at an open cabin window asked why I brought a saw from the "Dollar Store". Lots of great humor at the hunting cabin. Then we started saws. After an hour, someone noted the stack of cut wood around me, versus the other sawyers and saws. Next fuel refill, everyone was looking over the Dolmars, and wanting to "run one of them once".

I'm not in charge of marketing, and it is unlikely any of these guys will ever buy a Dolmar instead of another Husky or Stihl, but there won't be anymore jokes in the camp.
June Storm Stump-Log.JPG

Sachs sold their share of Dolmar to Makita in 1991. We will still have orange and black saws but we probably will see blue cordless tools along with trimmers, blowers, etc.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
I would like to see it all in Orange but I will welcome any chance to expand the lineup and gives customers more choices

I have seen and owned more modern Dolmar saws in blue than any other color. Blue parts were much easier to get as well, times changed and now days I do not see hardly any new Dolmars at all.

Makita has a strong following in the contractor world, lots of folks running blue everything ecxcept chainsaw and multi purpose saws. If those saws where readily availible like they used to be there would be more units being sold more units being serviced.

Let me put it this way, closest shop to the job gets the sale, everyday, all day.

Service is a little different, all about turn around. It is worth the drive if it puts the tool back in service fast and cost effectively.

Thought I would that I am not sure how much of a dent Echo has made in the sales 60cc and smaller saws in terms of Stihl and Husqvarna branded tools but I know they are killing Dolmars presence from what I see.

I don't have any insight into the corporate/marketing/dealership machinations of Dolmar. I am very lucky to have a great local dealer, who operates a very small, one-man saw shop. I bought a 510 from him several years ago, and it has been a perfect fit for my little firewood operation. Last year I ran into several larger trees, and as luck would have it, found a great deal on a new 6100. I expect to cut a long time into the future with these two saws. While I have complete faith in my local dealer, I've never needed a part except an extra bar for my 510. So, I am optimistic that if I ever need parts, my dealer will be able to get them.

As a little side story, I took my saws to my cabin in the mountains to cut firewood with some of the other guys this Spring. As usual, the rest of the tailgates were sporting Huskys and Stihls and one clever guy sitting at an open cabin window asked why I brought a saw from the "Dollar Store". Lots of great humor at the hunting cabin. Then we started saws. After an hour, someone noted the stack of cut wood around me, versus the other sawyers and saws. Next fuel refill, everyone was looking over the Dolmars, and wanting to "run one of them once".

I'm not in charge of marketing, and it is unlikely any of these guys will ever buy a Dolmar instead of another Husky or Stihl, but there won't be anymore jokes in the camp.
View attachment 433790
Pretty much the same story with my 421....for 42cc it flat out cuts with the CAT removed and a Stihl PS chain.

No one in/around Houston knows much about Dolmar, but as others have posted about the areas where they live, Makita power tools have a strong presence here.

Not really related, but...a pawn shop near me has a very clean Sachs-Dolmar 115 marked at $180.00. I drop in every couple of weeks to see if they've marked it down, or are willing to deal (so far no go). The chances of them selling a Sachs-Dolmar, of any size, is pretty slim. Maybe after it's collected 1/2 inch of dust...............

Interesting stuff. At the Boonville, NY Woodsmen's Field Days, Makita reps were assuring us that no major branding changes were coming, now Makita announced at last week's GIE-EXPO in Louisville, KY :
Makita, who has owned the Dolmar brand for many years, is officially shifting away from the popular brand name. From now on, Dolmar will be phasing out and everything will be marketed Makita
and
At a GIE+EXPO 2015 press conference on October 21, Makita USA highlighted two key product innovations for its broad lineup of handheld power equipment. The company also announced a major brand integration that's been underway since the beginning of the month.

Makita USA acquired Dolmar and began manufacturing Dolmar-branded equipment in 1991. Makita has now begun the process of transitioning off of the Dolmar brand.

From what i was told ...chainsaw will remain red but be branded Makita. Everything else...blowers, trimmers, cut off saws will be branded Makita and transition to the standard makita teal color.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/makita-4-stroke-outdoor-power-tools/19580/

suppose to be some announcements made at the TCI expo too but i cant find them listed as an exhibitor TCI expo is November 12-14

I stole this picture from the GIE+expo thread

makita saws.JPG

I am debating about going to the TCI expo...only a couple hours away but I absolutely hate Pittsburgh.

Now a days when I hear the name Makita I immediately think of Timber Joey and Portland Timbers soccer.
Hell of a game last night...on to round two...Go Timbers!!!

The real question in everyone's minds is how is distribution going to be handled? I know Midwest power was going to drop dolmar brand due to uncertainty in how stuff will shift. Also will makita saws be sold in box stores now? This will kill small engine shop sales if they do.

From what i was told ...chainsaw will remain red but be branded Makita. Everything else...blowers, trimmers, cut off saws will be branded Makita and transition to the standard makita teal color.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/makita-4-stroke-outdoor-power-tools/19580/

suppose to be some announcements made at the TCI expo too but i cant find them listed as an exhibitor TCI expo is November 12-14

I stole this picture from the GIE+expo thread

View attachment 457278

So how long do we have to snag a Red Dolmar?

Latest posts

Back