Masterminded 362c 87 octane vs 94

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My head is hurting from this thinking!! Lol. So far I think viscosity index in choosing oil for our application would be a factor for determining protection level. Its the rating given to oils to resist change in viscosity(thickness) of a given oil at temperature. I also think the higher flashpoint oils impede ignition and will result in an uncomplete burn and waste of oil out the exhaust. Looking at the specs of the oils the maxima k2 seems to be more in line of max protection in viscosity index # and lower flashpoints that are more in line of the operating temps in our saw that will ignite more readily for a more complete burn and still have max viscosity protection. My 2 cents only

Just mixed 2 gallons
8e4a2a3y.jpg

I believe oils are different in makeup and some are better than others but if no one really cares to discuss octanes or oil lets just not worry about it , shut the thread down and move on

Oh hell no.......

I've learned more about fuels and oils over the last few days than I need to know about oil and fuels.

Ive read alil on the flashpoint this morning and it can be a 2 edged sword it appears. Higher flashpoints in 2t oils resist igniting as easily as a lower flashpoint and if operating application doesnt call for higher temps then a higher flashpoint oil is actually less efficient at burning the oil off kinda like octane effects how a fuel burns and whether u burn it completely or just wasting it out the exhaust. Same with oil, using a higher flashpoint oil if not needed is hurting performance instead of helping. The k2 flashpoint is probably a better choice from that information in a saws application than a oil at 2x the flashpoint

Good stuff again.........but I thought you were done with this. :laugh:

Randy if you want some motul I can send you a pint or so to try.

No Mike......but thanks. I'm gonna try this K2.

My head is hurting from this thinking!! Lol. So far I think viscosity index in choosing oil for our application would be a factor for determining protection level. Its the rating given to oils to resist change in viscosity(thickness) of a given oil at temperature. I also think the higher flashpoint oils impede ignition and will result in an uncomplete burn and waste of oil out the exhaust. Looking at the specs of the oils the maxima k2 seems to be more in line of max protection in viscosity index # and lower flashpoints that are more in line of the operating temps in our saw that will ignite more readily for a more complete burn and still have max viscosity protection. My 2 cents only
If the inside of your muffler isn't covered with oil and you're not fouling your plug you're good. I don't think I'm losing power with Motul compared to Stihl Ultra. I'm gaining! lol
Guess this will be another test. Stihl Ultra vs Motul 800 off-road at 32:1. I bet there will be NO difference in cutting speed.
The factory 2-cycle oil, like Stihl Ultra, is designed for FACTORY saws. Lab testing on stihl ultra oil are on STOCK SAWs. Specialized oils, like Motul 800, are tested on modified/specialized engines. Most of us aren't running factory saws. My rpms on my factory saw were set at 12480 and the compression was probably on or around 150psi. My rpms are now 13800 and my compression is 200+. A modified engine needs a specialized oil just like modified motocross engines need it. Factory engines....factory oil. Specialized/modified engines....specilaized/modified oil. Just like an octane test I did...and what this thread was originally about. Factory saws...factory average octane. Specialized saws....specialized fuel.

If the inside of your muffler isn't covered with oil and you're not fouling your plug you're good. I don't think I'm losing power with Motul compared to Stihl Ultra. I'm gaining! lol
Guess this will be another test. Stihl Ultra vs Motul 800 off-road at 32:1. I bet there will be NO difference.
The factory 2-cycle oil, like Stihl Ultra, is designed for FACTORY saws. Lab testing on stihl ultra oil are on STOCK SAWs. Specialized oils, like Motul 800, are tested on modified/specialized engines. Most of us aren't running factory saws. My rpms on my factory saw were set at 12480 and the compression was probably on or about 150psi. My rpms are now 13800 and my compression is 200+. A modified engine needs a specialized oil just like modified motocross engines need it. Factory engines....factory oil. Specialized/modified engines....specilaized/modified oil. Just like an octane I did...and this thread was originally about. Factory saws...factory average octane. Specialized saws....specialized fuel.
Just because it has a higher flashpoint or cost more doesnt mean its gonna perform or protect any better for our particular application. The K2 specs line up more for saws

I believe oils are different in makeup and some are better than others but if no one really cares to discuss octanes or oil lets just not worry about it , shut the thread down and move on

No way man, I have very much enjoyed this thread. One great thing about a topic in forum, no likey no clickey.

Just because it has a higher flashpoint or cost more doesnt mean its gonna perform or protect any better for our particular application. The K2 specs line up more for saws
YOu saw the inside of my engine after running Motul 800 off-road. Proof is in the pudding.

YOu saw the inside of my engine after running Motul 800 off-road. Proof is in the pudding.[/QUOTE
no doubt the h1r and motul burns extremely clean butbId be willing to bet the k2 will protect just as good in our saws, just as clean, and will burn more efficiently

YOu may NEVER get the answer or test results for the "perfect" or "best" 2-cycle oil. Use a proven oil, like these experienced AS members are saying (K2 - Motul - H1R), and be happy. You'll never find "the best". They're ALL extremely good oils.

The closest thing we have to a consumer report for oils are experienced AS members results and determining the oils JASO rating.

So.

Ron.......you are sold on Motul 800 Off Road.

Keith is sold on K2. As is Mike.

I've been using H1R for a couple of years and never thought about a reason to switch.

Now after looking at flash points, thinking about the need to re-tune, and the way the smell bothers some people. I'm gonna try K2.

I do believe that this Belray bothers Jon's sinuses.

So.

Ron.......you are sold on Motul 800 Off Road.

Keith is sold on K2. As is Mike.

I've been using H1R for a couple of years and never thought about a reason to switch.

Now after looking at flash points, thinking about the need to re-tune, and the way the smell bothers some people. I'm gonna try K2.

I do believe that this Belray bothers Jon's sinuses.
After seeing k2 flashpoint and motul 2x flashpoint I knew Maxima wasnt making half as a good a oil. I read half the night on flashpoints and the higher flashpoint will protect better in extreme conditions but will imped combuation efficiency in our application. Thats my take

Does castor smell different than ester ? i have an old jug of 927 still from the 250r ,the 927 is what my engine builder had me run in the water cooled 2 stroke ,will the cator work in air cooled ok ?

K2 specs say it will protect as good according to viscosity index #s and will ignite more readily and efficiently according to specs for our application

Well I don't want to interrupt a day of work for him.

Good Post Mike, Sounds like you know me!!!!!

So.

I do believe that this Belray bothers Jon's sinuses

You know Randall as I have become to know you better over the last few yr.s That is not surprising that you look after Jon the way you do!!! Just dont let him put any of that K2 mix in the NOS Homie!!!!! he has setting on display!!!!:ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back