Masterminded 362c 87 octane vs 94

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the cleanest burn'n stuff I think you ever saw Brian. Right here now, one auto parts store is a Stihl dealer and it's $6.30 per quart. I really don't like anything better as good as my saws run.

Did you ever grow any thing in the garden of your mind?

You can grow ideas....

........... in the garden of your mind.

Oh yeah did you ever look at cat's eyes in the dark and wonder what they were?

I'm guessing it was more heat than the oil could handle. That crap looks baked on to me. I'm most concerned by the apparent blowby that looks to have been going on. I'm shocked to see it down the side of the piston like that.

BTW, what was the reason to break it in before porting? Seems to me it'd be better the other way around.

I've seen a couple kart motors look like that after a race or two with castor/bean stuff. And that coating was still slick as snot. It's the 'plate' in techniplate. Of course, that may not be at all what's goin on there. I'm jis saying... ya know...

I'll give my final thoughts on this whole oil deal

The most residual oil left behind on engine internals, was definitely R50, with Motul 800 coming in a close #2. Mike however found that not to be the case in his situation. If I remember correctly, the AT saws seem to run quite lean? Wonder if that played a role in his findings.

H1R lubricated well, but I didn't care for the tuning issues, the smell didn't bother me.

K2 seems to have a good balance of lubricating properties, with little smell or smoke, seems to burns clean, tunes nicely, and is a bit less expensive.

If I were going to run something other than K2 it would likely be R50. Every engine I've been into, that was ran on R50, was dripping wet with oil.

I'll be sticking with the H1R for a while. It smells, but the internals look so good with it. Regarding the tuning issue, I never really had one. If I was switching oils with each tank it would be a PITA, but since I don't it isn't.
It was also asserted many pages ago that H1R wants more jet due to less of it burning. I doubt that this is the case. If half the H1R burned compared to K2 that would be a 1.5% difference in tune, which is pretty minor. I'd bet the "stickiness" (the K-man may have a big word for that:D) of the oil is affecting the flow thru the h-jet

I'll be sticking with the H1R for a while. It smells, but the internals look so good with it. Regarding the tuning issue, I never really had one. If I was switching oils with each tank it would be a PITA, but since I don't it isn't.
It was also asserted many pages ago that H1R wants more jet due to less of it burning. I doubt that this is the case. If half the H1R burned compared to K2 that would be a 1.5% difference in tune, which is pretty minor. I'd bet the "stickiness" (the K-man may have a big word for that:D) of the oil is affecting the flow thru the h-jet

On a ported 066 I had I was out around 1.5-1.75 turns with H1R. It wanted to run at 15.5k with it. It came from klotz tuned at 13.8k.

On a ported 066 I had I was out around 1.5-1.75 turns with H1R. It wanted to run at 15.5k with it. It came from klotz tuned at 13.8k.
Exactly. If it were a burning issue, there wouldn't be that much difference. There would only be a tuning issue if you were near the carbs limit, or were switching oils frequently

Exactly. If it were a burning issue, there wouldn't be that much difference. There would only be a tuning issue if you were near the carbs limit, or were switching oils frequently
I think that saw was at the limit of the jet in the carb really.

This thread has came along way from the mentality of all oil is good? We have narrowed it down to about 4 oils that probably are splitting hairs. The Klotz, Motul, H1R, are all high flashpoints compared to k2 being 1/2 the flashpoint? How is flashpoint affecting combustion?

To me that raises a few more questions ....

- Wouldn't it pour differently then ?
- If the high jet needs that much more with Bel Ray, there should be a noticeable difference in fuel viscosity, no ?
- If the "stickiness" is the culprit, why doesn't the low jet get affected ?

I am just trying to understand the fact that with the Bel Ray, carbon builds inside the muffler, doesn't form in the combustion chamber, high jet needs tuning rich ................... not contributing to the burn as much as other oils makes more sense to me, than gasoline having its viscosity altered by 1 part oil and 32 parts gas.

One last observation I must make, I have run 24:1 (and richer) with some other oils and when I did notice a slight change in viscosity, I needed to adjust both the high and low jets to get a good tune.

IDK, the stuff pours like molasses and is very hard to get out of whatever container ive used to measure it. Viscosity may be hard to measure, but the percentage difference in combusted oil, further divided by a 1:32 ratio is a very small number. I don't know the answer, so I can't do more than speculate

The principle can be observed in the "leaning" out of a tune which happens by going to more oil. It is usually said that this occurs due to the restriction of flow in the jet due to the higher oil percentage rather than the 1% change in the amount of gas in 1:32 vs 1:50

Latest posts

Back