more power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danielmccurdy, I am in the same boat as you, I also have a 455 Rancher and have been thinking about a muffler mod.

Has anyone on this board opened up a 455 Rancher muffler to confirm "The muffler is hollow inside" as danielmccurdy was told.

MY 455 rancher does not have a bracket on the muffler, is there another easly was to add the spark screen without Welding it on? :help:

On my 455 the spark screen is on the top of the muffler under the chainbrake handle, should the hole/holes be in the front or on top (on top I am afraid it will get to hot and melt the pastic on the saw).

It is a crimpled closed muffer is there an easy we to open those type up?

If I add a few small holes to the front of the muffler do I still need a spark screen say 1/4" holes?

Freakingstang said:
Don't assume that.

I have bought and sold a lot of 55's and 55 Ranchers on ebay in the past. Just because it has a decomp, doesn't mean it is a closed port 45mm cylinder.

In fact, most of the regular 55's I ran into made after 93 or so had decomps with some being 45mm and some being 46mm, both open port. I have not found a 55 labeled saw with a 45mm closed port jug on it yet.

The main difference I have found between the regular 55 air injection and the 55 rancher was that the 55 had the decomp and .325 chain, while the rancher did not have the decomp and came with 3/8 chain.

Of coarse, there could have been a 55 rancher sold at a dealer and the customer wanted .325 chain or vise versa.

The only 45mm closed port jugs i have found info on is the earliest EPA versions of the Husky 51, only made for a couple years. And of coarse the 50 special. After that they were open port and still labeled as EPA. Funny, as the non epa early models were open port. Maybe Saw Troll can search some IPLS for the 51 and find a difference in the first year or two 51 models....

It is dizzying the array of combinations this group of saws had, So I have no doubt that my info is in error. Trying to make sense of this series is like trying to figure women out. :cry: :confused: I have looked at a lot of this series piston and cylinders, the only ones I ever found were from non rancher 55's with the decomp and they were closed ported with a skirted piston. I have looked at two of them and they both have it so I own two of them but have not started the project yet. I have some plans in my mind but haven't kicked it off yet. I just need some 26 hour days or maybe a 8 day week, they seem hard to find.

Back