MS 500i Backorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 32" B&C so it is set at max with the stop pin depressed. I wish there were more, but it flings oil okay, so it is lacking, but it's enough.
I started breaking in mine yesterday, warm up / cool down / maybe 1/2 hour actual cutting with the 25" b/c on saw. It does spray oil on paper, but I did advance the adjuster just till I hit the stop pin, maybe it was a 1/16 " , give or take away?
I've read somewhere here if it's too high, you'll run out of oil before fuel? Ever happen to you?
On my 361, with adjuster at wide open, when the fuel is empty, the oil probably is @ 1/2 tank or so.
So I'm off to run it again now. So far, so good, it throws chips quite a distance.
Have you done any mods to the air filter or AV system with West Coast products?
Thanks

I started breaking in mine yesterday, warm up / cool down / maybe 1/2 hour actual cutting with the 25" b/c on saw. It does spray oil on paper, but I did advance the adjuster just till I hit the stop pin, maybe it was a 1/16 " , give or take away?
I've read somewhere here if it's too high, you'll run out of oil before fuel? Ever happen to you?
On my 361, with adjuster at wide open, when the fuel is empty, the oil probably is @ 1/2 tank or so.
So I'm off to run it again now. So far, so good, it throws chips quite a distance.
Thanks
I just run the oiler on max, I still have some oil left in the tank after I run out of fuel. IDK if the 500i is like previous Stihls, with different oilers between the 1/2 and 3/4 wrap models. For what it's worth, my 500i is the wrap model. I don't know if it's the same with your 361, but I've swapped the guts out of oilers from different saws...my 400 is running the HO 461 oiler guts. That saw will go 1:1 on oil/gas if it's turned up...not a big deal for people running smaller bars, but mine runs a 28" usually and sometimes even a 32".

I'm running the WCS suspension on my 500i. My 500i runs a 32" Stihl LW mostly and the saw was like a wet noodle with that combination...much better with the stiffer AV. I recently bought a Max-flow for it too...I've run max-flows on most of my non-air injected Stihls(044,066,880,etc,) and can't say enough good things about them.

Other mods were the WCS 3-point dogs. I really want the clutch cover, but I don't want to pay that much for a clutch cover...the stock cover really sucks.

Thanks

I've never run a saw out of oil. That's the beauty of the flippy caps, easy and fast to check the oil when refueling. No need to modify the saw. I learned a long time ago, the very best mod you can do is maintenance. Keep your saw clean and your chain sharp, and it will perform.

I just run the oiler on max, I still have some oil left in the tank after I run out of fuel. IDK if the 500i is like previous Stihls, with different oilers betw
I just run the oiler on max, I still have some oil left in the tank after I run out of fuel. IDK if the 500i is like previous Stihls, with different oilers between the 1/2 and 3/4 wrap models. For what it's worth, my 500i is the wrap model. I don't know if it's the same with your 361, but I've swapped the guts out of oilers from different saws...my 400 is running the HO 461 oiler guts. That saw will go 1:1 on oil/gas if it's turned up...not a big deal for people running smaller bars, but mine runs a 28" usually and sometimes even a 32".

I'm running the WCS suspension on my 500i. My 500i runs a 32" Stihl LW mostly and the saw was like a wet noodle with that combination...much better with the stiffer AV. I recently bought a Max-flow for it too...I've run max-flows on most of my non-air injected Stihls(044,066,880,etc,) and can't say enough good things about them.

Other mods were the WCS 3-point dogs. I really want the clutch cover, but I don't want to pay that much for a clutch cover...the stock cover really sucks.
Non wrap handle here.
What's the attraction / functional difference with the billet WCS cover? I have noticed, this saw really throws the chips, like about 10'.
Plenty of fines too. I put the Stihl OEM foam-ish cover on the stock air filter.
I know I'm still new to this saw, but the AV system does seem to have a bit of flex at the 25" light bar.
I always fill both oil /fuel in the 361 and now 500i. I didn't want to go too heavy just yet and run the oil reservoir empty

As Montana stated, I usually run stock too in regards to engine running performance

Thanks guys for your insight

Non wrap handle here.
What's the attraction / functional difference with the billet WCS cover? I have noticed, this saw really throws the chips, like about 10'.
Plenty of fines too. I put the Stihl OEM foam-ish cover on the stock air filter.
I know I'm still new to this saw, but the AV system does seem to have a bit of flex at the 25" light bar.
I always fill both oil /fuel in the 361 and now 500i. I didn't want to go too heavy just yet and run the oil reservoir empty

As Montana stated, I usually run stock too in regards to engine running performance

Thanks guys for your insight
The attraction with the billet WCS cover, is that it directs the chips/dust away from the operator and is also less likely to clog up with chips. Stihl used to provide deeper and wider covers on the wrap-handle saws, but not anymore in the case of the 462/500.

My big problem with the stock Stihl filter, isn't so much that it doesn't filter out fine enough particulates, it's that the filter clogs up too easily. Once it clogs up, the saw is still pulling a vacuum on the filter, so it starts pulling fines in from around the seals. I tap it out a couple times a day if I'm running a stock filter, but even then it seems to start to clog up unless I'm able to blow it out with compressed air. The Max-flow doesn't necessarily do just a better job of filtering out particulates, it's just that it has more surface area and can go longer between cleanings. I do think an oiled foam filter also has a better chance of catching particulates.

If you don't mind the flex, just run the stock AV. For my intended use, the stock AV was a no-go...it was too sloppy when I was falling trees with a longer bar. The WCS suspension kit fixed that. For a firewood saw, it's probably not a big deal.

I'm not saying that ported saws are better than stock saws or vice versa. I'm a fan of modding my saws, I enjoy the process of it and just prefer running a modded saw. One of the first things I did to my 500i, was build my own dual-port style muffler cover. If you don't mind the noise, these saws really benefit from a freer flowing exhaust. I will tear mine down at some point in the near future and do some machine and porting work to it.

I was just thinking about it today, when I was cutting some oak firewood with my 400 w/28" bar. I did some work to the cylinder of that saw and now have a <16lb saw that can scream with a 28" bar buried in hardwood. If it was stock, I'd have to step up to the 500i to get that level of performance. Again, I wouldn't say that stock or modded are better/worse than each other. I'm just compelled to tinker on almost everything.

Latest posts

Back