My Boob Job 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi dieseldodge, I'm not knowledgeable enough yet on the workings of the various way that the ports are layed out and how best to know the max we can take off any port and come up with the best figures.
However, it seems that Stihl pro models have the porting set about as good as you can get. This is why I went so conservatively.
Too answer your question to the best of my ability, I will say that I removed 5 mm off the 385 ex, Ken Dunn moved 2 mm off the 372 ex, while DC didn't take any off the 372, but rather widened the port instead, Dozer Dan took 4.7 mm off the 346 exhaust. So I guess 2mm off the 044 exhaust shouldn't really hurt, but let us know how you make out though.
Thanks,
John

Simonizer said:
Just hackin' on ya buddy. I'm at about 475 now. Are you using new carbides? This makes a huge difference. New high quality carbides leave an excellent finish. If you don't have one already, buy a front-exhausting die-grinder and put 25 drops of ATF before doing each port, it mists out and lubricates the carbide preventing it from clogging up with aluminum. A bright light is also imperative, if you have it at the right angle, you see every pass you make and can adjust speed and force to keep things symmetrical and avoid those annoying bumps you get while roughing out the dimensions. Have fun. PS. Eric told me you're a good guy.:cheers:

Those are some good tips Simon. Good tools always make the job easier and more professional.
I saw that first hand at WJ's when Dave ported the 999.
Eric has all the latest tools from Foredom including the 90 degree attachment.

John

I will say that I removed 5 mm off the 385 ex, Ken Dunn moved 2 mm off the 372 ex, while DC didn't take any off the 372, but rather widened the port instead, Dozer Dan took 4.7 mm off the 346 exhaust. So I guess 2mm off the 044 exhaust shouldn't really hurt, but let us know how you make out though.

John, just trying to figure out the math here, to come up with the number of mm to remove do you use the square root of the model number or the displacement?

You mention some husky cases, then extrapolate to a completely different stihl saw???

Nice photos though, might want to take some of those nasty burs of the exhaust opening just to make sure the don't work there way back to the piston.

From a Cull to a King

Hi Brian, I think it goes without saying I wasn't trying to portray a work of art, but rather a boob job that runs inspite of itself. It was my first saw and I think it will run with the 372's It reminds me of Chris Ciccora's 024 stroker.;)
The pictures are blown up about 10x so the rough parts look even rougher.:blob2:
Anyway, here's a vid I took today of it cutting. It looks like it's about 2.25 in 10" basswood.
Brian, we should plan a boob job GTG.
John

Think we need to be careful to point out the ways to screw up a boob job too, will make the jorney less painful for all us saw mod pups.

Taking ports up 5 mm sounds drastic for just a hack and slash mod aimed at getting the most gain to the least work, that would take the opening to 90 after TDC or less. sounds like torque would suffer a lot, might not be the best thing for a guy with a round work chain cutting hardwood.

Not saying it wont work taking the exhaust up that much, but can't see it working for most circumstances. Without doing other work compression would start to get pretty low too.

Wow John, nice pics. That piston was in the saw I ran? wow. What got me most about that saw was the way it looked vs the way it ran. Sorry if I am the reason you got all the Pm's. Thanks for posting up the pics, even if it was your first boob job. Takes more of a man to admit to the mistakes, than not to. At least your first mod ran...I went a little overboard on that little dolmar that still doesn't run lol. :cheers:

-Steve

Some one asked about carbide bits for a dremel. The next time you go to your dentist ask him for his old dental burs. They are probably to small to use on porting an engine but they come in handy around a shop. Tom

A picture of one of your barrels should help us there. Hahahahahaha!

I don't see how it would.

The easy part is grinding at the jug, making it pretty is mostly to placate the perfectionist in us all. But it is coming up with the numbers that will produce the most power and fastest cuts that is the tough part.

The right figures lie between too much duration and not enough. with alot of other variables thrown in. The fun part is always the learning and being there for the first time and looking back and saying, "I've been there before." ( I think Hipocrities said that, or maybe it was Darwin or Darin :bowdown: )
If it were an exact science the fun would be taken out of it.

John

I would argue that it is an exact sicence as are all such systems, just we don't as humans understand it all.

But your very right John in saying that it puts the fun in it to try to figure these things out and reflect on progression.

Your statement is a bit of a paradox....

being there for the first time and looking back and saying, "I've been there before."

timberwolf said:
But your very right John in saying that it puts the fun in it to try to figure these things out and reflect on progression.

Your statement is a bit of a paradox....

Someone else said it, I'm not sure who , or even if I quoted the quote correctly, but I read it somewhere and will find out.

Oh! I see, trying to derail the thread from boob jobs to philosophy.:rock:

Anyway fellas, I opened up that stock 066 that ran so well and made a few changes like the squish and generaly cleaning up any casting marks etc.
Will let you know how it runs.
John

You were the one quoting philosophy.

My 066 boob job worked out well enough, put some pressure on some of the others, I may have had a bit beter chain setup, but I was slower in the change overs. Also pulled the saw apart since for a little tweaking. Picked up another bit will see how it does next time.

066 is a stong saw to start, but it can be made to cut faster, I took the exhaust up a hair and widened the port out as much as the skirt would allow, reajusted the squish down to just over 20 thou and it made a big difference.

timberwolf said:
You were the one quoting philosophy.

My 066 boob job worked out well enough, put some pressure on some of the others, I may have had a bit beter chain setup, but I was slower in the change overs. Also pulled the saw apart since for a little tweaking. Picked up another bit will see how it does next time.

066 is a stong saw to start, but it can be made to cut faster, I took the exhaust up a hair and widened the port out as much as the skirt would allow, reajusted the squish down to just over 20 thou and it made a big difference.

Just goes to show you.....anybody can build a worksaw! Hahahahahahaha!

Hey Brian, you should have listened to Frankie, now you foooooooked your saw by widening the ports so much, now you can go back and put some bondo in there and start over.:rockn:
As you know, I already had a good running stock 066 and after a prep and a polish here's what I came up with. It was a 72lp straight off the grinder
Brian, you should adhere to sawbuilders axiom #1: If some is good, more is not better.
Hahaha

Anyway you bunch of culls, here's my 066.
John

Then anyone could build a race saw too, would they automatically be in the running, not likely.

As with race saws there is a lot of distance between a winner and some of the boat anchors that have been seen. A race saw does not win no mater how fast if you can't get it started.

Same goes for a work saw there are good mods and bad, not just that easy to come up with a good mod that gives gains without sacraficing too much in other areas.

I have no regrets on my 066, I though out what I wanted, and the saw is right where I expected it to be.

Saw builder's Axiom #2 If it runs well something must be right.

The converse of the military axiom #425262-745656-8676-2.

Fred

Latest posts

Back