My new toy- ms362cm 18b/c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I joined the 362c club Mike! lol! I.was back and forth handling the 261 and the 362 at the shop but didnt feel a big difference between the 2 so went with the one with more juice under the hood. Balances and feels great in the hand

I just got both and I'm very glad that I did! We'll have to start our own little post area...

Well so far im enjoying my 362c more than I.did my 261. Way more torque and handles and balances just as well to me. I hit a darn wire running the length of that tree in the video and toasted the Oregon lgx chain! I would say dont try and use the 261 for too big a tree and its awesome also. Also theres some great gains on the 261 to mm, set squish at .019 , and advance timing 8° and it will have around 190psi and gobs more torque.If the 261 is carb u will need to alsi trim the h tab off carb

After cutting thoso few cuts in the video , my chain look like hamburger meat!!! But on the serious side weedkilla , I went to look for a 562xp and if it felt good in the hand I woulda bought it. Next on my list will be a 241c with 14" bar or a similar husqvarna autotune with 14" bar? Bar lengths that r tip heavy on any saw Im not a fan of at all. The 362 balances well with an 18b/c. My 441c felt heavy with a 20 Stihl bar but is lighter and balances perfect with a 24" lightweight Sugihara bar. Im a big fan of Sugihara bars and can be gotten from Weedeaterman.com here on AS. Just ordered a Sugihara lightweight 18" for my362c

Not sure there is a small saw that competes with a 241. They really are special.
They seem like someone made a miniature 441, it never seems that fast but it cuts wood way bigger than it has any right to and feels torquey and forgiving. They sip fuel and go forever on a tank. At the end of the day I think it puts more wood on the ground for the amount of effort required than any saw I've used. They almost seem boring to use - but it sure puts a smile on your face at the end of the day when you see how much work you have done. Not a saw you can judge on specifications, or using it for 10 minutes.
A husky 550/346 is faster, but the little stihl is easier to use and it's still cutting when the husky is filling up with fuel.

I'm not buying into any debate 562 vs 362. Both great saws, personal preference covers the differences.

I'm not buying into any debate 562 vs 362. Both great saws, personal preference covers the differences.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. As everyone knows I'm glad to see the 362 C-M get the respect it deserves, but I never knocked to 562 XP. I believed from the start that the two saws were so close it came down to personal preference. It is good to have two saws of that caliber from the major makers and I think that is the "sweet spot" for an all around saw.

Nice info regarding the 241, that little saw seems intriguing.

Well so far im enjoying my 362c more than I.did my 261. Way more torque and handles and balances just as well to me. I hit a darn wire running the length of that tree in the video and toasted the Oregon lgx chain! I would say dont try and use the 261 for too big a tree and its awesome also. Also theres some great gains on the 261 to mm, set squish at .019 , and advance timing 8° and it will have around 190psi and gobs more torque.If the 261 is carb u will need to alsi trim the h tab off carb

Nope, gotta 261C. No carb adjustments for me. I'll let the M-tronic handle that.

I haven't seen many, but I don't know of any with HEAPS of hours on them.
The oldest I'd seen had been in a chainsaw school for 8 months and the trainer reckoned it had about 150-200 tanks through it. I reckon if it still seems brand new with a different person using it every day and a couple of hundred tanks then it would probably still be fine at 1000 tanks with one user!
I spent 3 days on it and was VERY impressed with the 241.
I've been waiting nearly a year now (I wanted a couple the day the course finished), and I still haven't seen the 241cmq or the husky 543. If the q version is released (in either Aus or USA) then I will get some, for what we do an "always on when you aren't cutting" chain brake makes a lot of sense. Doesn't matter how many times I growl, all of us have been guilty of not engaging the chain brake while stumbling through the scrub.
If there is no q version (outside of Germany) between now and whenever the saw porters work out the husky 543 then I will have to choose between them. I feel like I already know the answer without even trying the 543........

I have never used a 543 but what surprised me is that it does not have Auto Tune. With all the raves about Auto Tune & M-Tronic, I can not see myself buying a saw in the future that does not have it. They (Auto & M) also seem to make a saw perform "better than it's size", which would seem very important on a small saw.

I have never used a 543 but what surprised me is that it does not have Auto Tune. With all the raves about Auto Tune & M-Tronic, I can not see myself buying a saw in the future that does not have it. They (Auto & M) also seem to make a saw perform "better than it's size", which would seem very important on a small saw.

Yes and no.

Autotune/Mtronic is good, but a competent operator with a screwdriver comes close. These are early generations of this technology and we will see some big improvements as each new generation of saws appear.
Rev-boost is a great feature for example, a dynamic ignition advance.

When fuel and ignition maps include an airflow meter and some sort of load sensor then there will be no chance for the guy with the screwdriver to be anywhere near the at/mt saws. Using lean out tests as the top of the hierarchy for decisions, with tps and rev inputs is a clever, but fairly coarse way of measuring load, but without an airflow meter it's still a bit like a 3 legged dog.
Still, they've managed to run a 2-stroke saw essentially closed loop at full throttle. That's pretty good going.

I just think it's like a late 70's fuel injection setup on a car. Good, probably even a little better than what came before it, but the big gains are 10 years away.
My guess is that strato engines don't make sense with O2 sensors and map or maf sensors. Maybe this is the basic layout we will see for fuel control for a long time.
Surely husky is working on a version with a temperature probe - perfect hot starts anyone?

I believe the M-Tonic claims to have that. The control says "start", not choke, and the literature says the air fuel mix is adjusted based on temp, etc.

I don't claim to have a full understanding of the mechanics of it, but whatever they did, it works.

Does anyone here who has the 362cm also run the 034super or 036 for comparison? My local dealer had a sale on 362cm so i bought one by impulse, hasn't been fueled yet, i am real excited to fuel it and test it out, on the other hand i was unimpressed by the 241, looked well build but honestly my old 026 or husq 350 seemed to be more fun. Maybe i just am old school and can't accept the newer looking saws. I suspect the 362 is more 'snappy' but the old 034s, though not snappy, really cuts well in 18" oak, maybe heavier flywheel? At the moment, my options are gas up the 362cm and cut for a while or sell it never fueled.

Does anyone here who has the 362cm also run the 034super or 036 for comparison? My local dealer had a sale on 362cm so i bought one by impulse, hasn't been fueled yet, i am real excited to fuel it and test it out, on the other hand i was unimpressed by the 241, looked well build but honestly my old 026 or husq 350 seemed to be more fun. Maybe i just am old school and can't accept the newer looking saws. I suspect the 362 is more 'snappy' but the old 034s, though not snappy, really cuts well in 18" oak, maybe heavier flywheel? At the moment, my options are gas up the 362cm and cut for a while or sell it never fueled.

My 036 is one of my favorite saws. But it's currently in Tennessee. I'm still on tank #2 with my 362C. But it runs pretty good :)

Pretty sure the 362C runs better, but now that the 036 is getting a woods port?? The 036 may still take the cake :rock:

20140110_135430.jpg

Ported I would bet the 036 may be stronger, but not stock. Your saw looks like a beauty, and that holder looks pretty nifty!

She is pretty clean. Still has the sticker on the front case. Got it from an old man at work about 3 years ago now. It was my 1st Stihl. I had 3 Husq at the time. That saw started my love affair with Stihl.

Back