Need help with 372XP Please :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrafire2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just bucking wood with the 372xp for about 15 minutes when the chain got pinched towards the end of the cut. The saw stalled immediately, when I tried to start it I could not pull the cord, I was sure the piston had seized. I removed the muffler and plug but could not see much, the rings where in the way.

Suddenly I saw oil with metal shavings dipping of the clutch cover, I started to disassemble the sprocket ring and the clutch cover when suddenly it started to spin. I then checked the piston and did not see any scoring. I think the crank just case blew, but why? I am just puzzled :confused:

What could have happened? How do I remove the clutch? I am trying to go further in, do I need the special tool?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like your chain just derailed and got in between the rim and case, that would make everything come to a halt and cause metal shavings...

How old is the saw?...How many hours on the rim sprocket?...My guess is it just spun in the rim and locked it up...

"Suddenly I saw oil with metal shavings dipping of the clutch cover"

I don't really understand what you are talking about at all really, sorry!

If the "shavings" really are metal, they probably are Mag from the case or from the clutch cover, then I guess the story is about a derailed chain or a worn out rim - but you should have notised that something was wrong at an earlier stage.....

Also, it takes some "effort" to overlook a worn out rim on a saw with an inboard clutch, like the 372xp - unless you have no clue to what to look for???

Last edited:
Clutch spring/springs broke and took out the oil pump lines....

Pictures on the way. I removed the clutch cover and it looks like part of the clutch broke and got coat in the crank case. After removing the loose parts it looks like the crankcase is tight and spins freely. Where did all the oil come from?

Pictures please, they speak a thousand words....

Pictures on the way. I removed the clutch cover and it looks like part of the clutch broke and got coat in the crank case. After removing the loose parts it looks like the crankcase is tight and spins freely. Where did all the oil come from?

Please slow down and pay attention to the words you are using....you are making it very dificult to understand whats going on....

Yes! Exactly see pictures below.

Clutch spring/springs broke and took out the oil pump lines....

Not best picture sorry,
attachment.php

SawTroll, no sign at all! It was running smooth up to that moment.

I don't really understand what you are talking about at all rally, sorry!

If the "shavings" really are metal, they probably are Mag from the case or from the clutch cover, then I guess the story is about a derailed chain - but you should have notised that something was wrong at an earlier stage.....

I don't really understand what you are talking about at all really, sorry!

If the "shavings" really are metal, they probably are Mag from the case or from the clutch cover, then I guess the story is about a derailed chain or a worn out rim - but you should have notised that something was wrong at an earlier stage.....

Also, it takes some "effort" to overlook a worn out rim on a saw with an outboard clutch, like the 372xp - unless you have no clue???

my 372 has an inboard clutch.....:hmm3grin2orange:

my 372 has an inboard clutch.....:hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks, of course I meant to say inboard, it is a bit harder with the outboards, but not that much harder!

From the pic I have seen here by now, it looks like the rim was worn out, and then some, as it looks like it is completely gone, like they do when used for a way too long time! :jawdrop:

Classic exemple of "operator error", that has nothing to do with the saw brand or model!

Last edited:
Thanks, of course I meant to say inboard, it is a bit harder with the outboards, but not that much harder!

Yeah i know, that why I posted the big orange smiley...:hmm3grin2orange:

The sprocket rim is good and the chain was on it fine when I removed it. Something must have happened inside the clutch.

How do I remove the clutch? Do I need to replace the oil pump or can I rebuild it?

Thanks

The sprocket rim is good and the chain was on it fine when I removed it. Something must have happened inside the clutch.

How do I remove the clutch? Do I need to replace the oil pump or can I rebuild it?

Thanks

piston stop (Ilike the plastic stihl ones or a length of pull cord)

and clutch removal tool...

Dont forget to order the new clucth spring'S...yes get 3 and replace them all...

you wont know if you need to replace the pump until its out...

Drain the bar oil now...also your gonna wanna clean all that crap out of there starting now...

The clutch spring won't do it, the spring holder is broken, I need to replace the whole clutch assembly I think?

Yes when I saw the oil the first thing I did was to drain the bar oil.

I do not understand your first line? Now I do, I need to "jam" the piston so I can loosen the clutch... Thanks.

piston stop (Ilike the plastic stihl ones or a length of pull cord)

and clutch removal tool...

Dont forget to order the new clucth spring'S...yes get 3 and replace them all...

you wont know if you need to replace the pump until its out...

Drain the bar oil now...also your gonna wanna clean all that crap out of there starting now...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back