NEED YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE PLEASE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends (me too when I'm with them) have already started teaching girls, ages 3 and 4 some woodscraft. We've started with asking "Which way to the house? Or car." when out in the woods around here. They're getting it. We also give them tips and help them walk on logs, which are sometimes easier to walk on than the ground. We hope that this will prevent them from getting lost in the woods. Their grandma jokes about getting them real chainsaws.

My kids (13-20yo) are all advanced in Martial Arts. We are also farmers and don't have a TV. They are also state champion swimmers. Two of them are lifeguards.
apparently you missed the "useful and productive" part...
unless of course they find themselves needing to fight and/or out swim a mean turtle :ices_rofl:
also never met a farmer (including my parents) that didnt let/make the kids help/run the equipment

If she cuts or injures herself, can you live with that?
i would be devastated,thats why i ask for info here,but she can get hurt riding a four wheeler, doing gymnastics,fishing,hunting,climbing trees,mowing,cooking,heck just about anything can happen..i havent made the decision yet. thank you for your thoughts on this matter!

i would be devastated,thats why i ask for info here,but she can get hurt riding a four wheeler, doing gymnastics,fishing,hunting,climbing trees,mowing,cooking,heck just about anything can happen..i havent made the decision yet. thank you for your thoughts on this matter!

You're right, kids are going to be kids and at some point and time probably hurt themselves. The difference I see hear is that you are introducing your daughter to the potential danger. Helping Dad stack wood seems a better way to enjoy quality time with each other. IMO.

You're right, kids are going to be kids and at some point and time probably hurt themselves. The difference I see hear is that you are introducing your daughter to the potential danger. Helping Dad stack wood seems a better way to enjoy quality time with each other. IMO.
yes i understand and value you feedback...thankyou

nathon918, what are your kids good at?
im 25 got no kids yet... but me
my parents let me do/ run just about anything i was comfortable with. alot of my friends parents didnt agree with them, but i see just about any kid my age now, still living with/relying on their parents, cant do a damn thing for themselves.
i moved out at 17 bought my first house at 21
i can and have run just about any piece of logging/farm equipmet out there, im a damn good fabricator,i can run any manual machining center, i can rebuild engines/most things mechanical, framing/construction (been working construction on the side since i was 12 ), woodworking, i know quite alot about power transmission components, water pumps, vacuum pumps/blowers, plumbing, electrical (low voltage-480v 3 phase), you name it ive probably done it.
i had a boss one time ask me if i knew what something was (lacing press for flat belting) one time, as you dont see it often these days, he asked thinking i had no idea, but he didnt know i grew up around an 1800's frick mill and everything was run on leather flat belt...
personally i think thats pretty damn good for a sophmore dropout (i got my GED) because i hated school, and im only 25 still learing everyday!

Let the girl run a saw. It will be a good confidence builder. One of the guys suggested putting limbs in a sawbuck. I think that's a good way to start. Cut the easy stuff first.

Teach her all you can before she ever picks up the saw. Make sure her stance is good and that she knows how to keep her body clear of kick-back. Watch her like a hawk. Little kids tend to have a short attention span and if you see her drifting call it a day.

My daughter was about that age when she first ran a saw. I started her out on an 032 with a 16" bar. She did just fine.

Let the girl run a saw. It will be a good confidence builder. One of the guys suggested putting limbs in a sawbuck. I think that's a good way to start. Cut the easy stuff first.

Teach her all you can before she ever picks up the saw. Make sure her stance is good and that she knows how to keep her body clear of kick-back. Watch her like a hawk. Little kids tend to have a short attention span and if you see her drifting call it a day.

My daughter was about that age when she first ran a saw. I started her out on an 032 with a 16" bar. She did just fine.
thank you,very good to hear! i really grateful for your comments! and good ideas

I read the entire thread and I enjoyed most of it. However, I believe everone here at AS should be free to ask any question(s) regarding chainsaws, firewood, wood burning and anything related to these topics without being subjected to redicule and insulting remarks. I think a very reasonable question was presented by the original poster and he/she should have been provided with a civil and polite response. If a person does not like the question, then do not respond, it's as simple as that. I am not a professional arborist nor do I pretend to be one. I have been a member of this site for a few years, and I have learned a great deal from some very knowledgable and decent individuals. As such, please keep in mind that this site is for everyone, and remember that if your cannot help someone at least do not hurt them. Good night to everyone and peace be with all of you.

Only you can decide that. I personally could not let my girls do that at 11. Most other things yes, but I would be scared to death of them possibly getting a hideous, deforming injury. Don't want to mention the obvious. Not that there not capable, just a risk to reward thing. chauvinistic, selfish, maybe. But that's just me, odds are your daughter will do just fine. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back