New 550xp or really nice looking used 562xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmrboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I asked about a 50-60cc saw last weekend. Got what sounded like some good advice. But after more reading, and watching youtube, I decided I wanted to look at a 550xp. A new 562 was out of my price range. Looked at a new 562xp at the dealer closest to me, I really liked it, and pretty much decided I wanted the 550. Went to another dealer and found a 550xp and fell in love with it. He said I could have it for $559, which I thought was a pretty decent price. But, I found on ebay a 562xp that looks really nice with a buy it now of $565. Looks like (on my phone) it has a new bar and chain. The compression shows 155-160# (again, on my phone). I plan on getting a 390xp by fall, and have a 42cc McColluch for little stuff. Trying to decide the new 550 with a warranty or the bigger 562 for basically the same money and no warranty. I am leaning towards the 562xp.

Here's the link to the 562.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/321376782085?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Btw, the auction ends Sat. (Tomorrow) at noon. I'll be offline for a few hrs, any advice is appreciated.

I'd go the with the 550XP and canned fuel or oil mix to double the warranty. Since you are getting a 390.

If you weren't getting the 390XP I'd go the 562.

Of course if you get the 562XP you may never buy the 390 LOL.

Forget the eBay 562xp; 160 hrs actual runtime is a lot and who knows whether it was properly broken in or why the saw is for sale now. If it's one of the few 562's with carb issues, you won't be pleased. The new 550xp is what you want; also get the premix to extend the warranty and start your relationship with the local dealer.

I'd just save up for a new 562XP and be done with it. You won't need any other saws for most normal applications. I just bought mine last week. It replaced a stolen 357XP which I thought was a fantastic saw. This one is in a different league. I got it with an 18" bar with the intention of getting a 24" bar for the occasional big stuff. The saw will pull it no problem. The saw is plenty light with an 18 on it. Yes, it's more money now, but it will save you in the long haul.

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
HVe you thought about asking Terry what a new Jonsered 2260 (562) or 2253 (550) would cost..

I got a Black Friday special on a 2253, and it was a great del. I'm sure his everyday price isn't far from that.

Worth a shot. But do to his situation with his wide, you may want to give him a little extra time to reply. But a new saw at great price, is something he is good at delivering.

HVe you thought about asking Terry what a new Jonsered 2260 (562) or 2253 (550) would cost..

I got a Black Friday special on a 2253, and it was a great del. I'm sure his everyday price isn't far from that.

Worth a shot. But do to his situation with his wide, you may want to give him a little extra time to reply. But a new saw at great price, is something he is good at delivering.

He can get ya a nice deal on husky too, hes a dealer for them now as well. Id like to buy a saw from him someday!

Thanks for all the input, really appreciate it. Got the truck parked for the weekend, pigs are happy in the shed, had supper and a beer, time to relax a little. I've been running a saw since I was in my early teens, but they were just something we used to clear pasture fences after a storm. I started heating with wood 3 years ago, now I am look at saws completely different. I am finding it quite interesting...and confusing right now since there are so many on the market. It's just another learning curve. After a little more study, I've narrowed it down to the 550xp or 555. I like that husky orange. That used 562 is just too much of a gamble. I need to find the differences between the xp and non-xp saws. I doubt it will make much, if any difference for my uses-clearing fences and around fields, and cutting firewood. Since I'll be getting a big saw to replace my pm700 that died a few months ago, I am thinking the 550 should be enough. I was really surprised by how well balanced and easy handling it is. From what I saw on youtube, the 550xp is a little deceiving. It performs better than one would think of a saw so small. But, I am still studying. They are both about the same price.

I am new here, I was lurking for only a couple weeks before registering last week, so I don't know anyone yet. I am starting to recognize a few names, but that's about it. So, who is Terry? I've seen him mentioned in other threads about the guy to buy a saw from. Thanks again everybody.

If you can afford it, go with a 60cc, you won't regret it and in a few years you won't even remember what you paid for while glad you did spend the extra cash.

There is a reason you like the way the 550xp handles. Best 50cc made now that it replaced the 346xp. Since you are planning to get a larger saw later, I'd get the 550xp now. The 555 would be great for a one saw plan, but I like power and usually go for the XP equivalent.

Here is Terry's site; http://www.wickedworksaw.com/

Spike60 is also a great guy to deal with, as is TK...

There is a reason you like the way the 550xp handles. Best 50cc made now that it replaced the 346xp. Since you are planning to get a larger saw later, I'd get the 550xp now. The 555 would be great for a one saw plan, but I like power and usually go for the XP equivalent.

Here is Terry's site; http://www.wickedworksaw.com/

Spike60 is also a great guy to deal with, as is TK...

I visited his site last week. I'll see if I can get ahold of him. My closest dealer, a True Value hardware, has a small display of Husky and Echo, which included 2 562's. He didn't even know what a 550xp or 545 is. Then he quoted me $599 on the 550 and then he asked what the dealer in Lincoln wanted for it. I told him $579, and they are cheaper yet on the web, he told me to buy it from somebody else because he wasn't going to drop the price any. That's the way to keep the customers coming back. After that, I feel no need to try and support him. He does provide good service though in the shop.

I visited his site last week. I'll see if I can get ahold of him. My closest dealer, a True Value hardware, has a small display of Husky and Echo, which included 2 562's. He didn't even know what a 550xp or 545 is. Then he quoted me $599 on the 550 and then he asked what the dealer in Lincoln wanted for it. I told him $579, and they are cheaper yet on the web, he told me to buy it from somebody else because he wasn't going to drop the price any. That's the way to keep the customers coming back. After that, I feel no need to try and support him. He does provide good service though in the shop.
You will like the price from any of the dealers here.

I had a 346XP (550XP) a while back. Very nice saw for what it was designed for. It is light and makes for a great professional level limbing saw. It revs to the moon. The only issue I had with mine is lack of grunt when laying into bigger wood. It fell off the power band easy. This is where a 60cc saw makes a difference. Peak HP levels only tell part of the story. With torque values, there is no replacement for displacement. The 555 would be an excellent choice.

Trying to decide if the 3/4hp and torque advantage of the 555 is worth carrying the extra 2 1/2#. That's what it boils down to.

Back