New 550xp or really nice looking used 562xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut over 10 cords of oak a year for 9 years with a old 346xp (45cc). A pro 50cc is a great firewood saw if your wood is mostly under 20". But if you are used to a larger saw and are heavy handed you may not like the smaller saw. Keep the rpm up, let the little beast cut and it'll usually cut faster than a larger saw.

A 555 with a 390xp would be a heck of a combo. For some reason that 555 speaks to me and I know a 390xp has gotta be a pig....never ran either myself though:mad:

I decided to get the 555. The extra bit of power will be nice with a 20" 3/8 chain. The dealer in Lincoln that offered me the 550xp for $559 had one 390 left. This was the first time I hade ever seen one in person. As soon as I picked it up I knew this is what I want for a felling saw. It had a 28" bar, and was perfectly balanced. I hung it on my index finger, the nose dropped about 2" and just sat there. I have looked at a 441 and 460, and they felt really front heavy.

Here's the question I don't think I've seen asked: what size largest/smallest wood you will be cutting. How much is average and will those that are significantly larger? How much limbing and what will the size of those limbs be? The wood I cut has lots of small limbs, too small to burn but need to come off. If you will be cutting mostly 10-15" with the occasional larger tree, then the 550 would be my first choice. If the average is 15-20", then the 562 makes sense.

Warranty? What the heck is that? The only saw I have ever had to use that on is a auto tune 562 and that is now voided so it can be fixed right. So in effect the warranty is/was worthless. And that has been more or less 30+ saws in the last 30 years. If the saw gets used you will know within the first few minutes if you need a warranty. CJ

Went to husky dealer in town to get a loop of Oregon chain, I haven't been over to their shop in awhile, and wanted to see how their prices looked. I handled a 562 and a 550 again, last time was a couple years ago. I tell ya what I would jump on a 562 if the price was right. I haven't ran either mind you, but if you can swing the price I don't see a whole lot of weight/handling difference in the two, they're both good. 555 would be ideal IMO if looking to save about $100...i'm used to the heavier stihls though. Funny though the chainsaw guy there said he's had only one 562 come back since the updated ones have been out. He said the saw had 160 hrs on it and it wore out a p&c....??? Now I'm newer to the chainsaw game but I have read pro saws of husky or stihl can expect around 2000 hours give or take with proper care...maybe I'm way off but I hope the guy meant 1600 hrs if the above statement is true. Spike60 or anyone else wanna set me straight...??

A 555 with a 390xp would be a heck of a combo. For some reason that 555 speaks to me and I know a 390xp has gotta be a pig....never ran either myself though:mad:

390 a pig? No not really. It is one of the best felling saws I have ran for large trees other than a 395 and it does not wear you out like the 395 does. If there is not a concern about popping a tree I will use my 372 for felling in most cases anyway. CJ

390 a pig? No not really. It is one of the best felling saws I have ran for large trees other than a 395 and it does not wear you out like the 395 does. If there is not a concern about popping a tree I will use my 372 for felling in most cases anyway. CJ
Sorry wrong term...should of said "beast" in other words a powerful saw...:) Don't got the lingo down I guess:laugh:

I think he meant that as a compliment. I'll cut up and burn pretty much anything that I come across. Stuff as small as 2" goes in my stove. I figure it's better to get some heat out of it than to leave it on the ground to rot. So limbing is sort of a moot point since I utilize so much of the tree. About 20 yrs ago a logger bought most of the oak out of the pasture, so I have at least a dozen tops and stumps to cut up. I've been putting them off till now. I worked on one a month ago. That's some tough stuff after setting so many years.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I think he meant that as a compliment. I'll cut up and burn pretty much anything that I come across. Stuff as small as 2" goes in my stove. I figure it's better to get some heat out of it than to leave it on the ground to rot. So limbing is sort of a moot point since I utilize so much of the tree. About 20 yrs ago a logger bought most of the oak out of the pasture, so I have at least a dozen tops and stumps to cut up. I've been putting them off till now. I worked on one a month ago. That's some tough stuff after setting so many years.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I'll tell ya something, I would rather have 2 372's than a combo of a small saw and a big one. I know this is contrary to what most recommend but I go by the timber I am cutting as far as saw size. Like Murph said [in not so many words] you need to size the saw to the wood. I have never dropped a tree then grabbed a smaller saw to limb with, the tree got processed with whatever saw was in my hands. If you are fit, [assuming by your sig, Farmboy that you are] the 372 is a great saw for 20" and down timber. Reliable as can be and will run longer bars decent. Myself and my buddies crew have had enough problems with the 562 that I can't recommend them until Husky figures them out. I had figured on a second 562 by now but I think I will pick up another 372 in the G model before they are gone. CJ

I'll tell ya something, I would rather have 2 372's than a combo of a small saw and a big one. I know this is contrary to what most recommend but I go by the timber I am cutting as far as saw size. Like Murph said [in not so many words] you need to size the saw to the wood. I have never dropped a tree then grabbed a smaller saw to limb with, the tree got processed with whatever saw was in my hands. If you are fit, [assuming by your sig, Farmboy that you are] the 372 is a great saw for 20" and down timber. Reliable as can be and will run longer bars decent. Myself and my buddies crew have had enough problems with the 562 that I can't recommend them until Husky figures them out. I had figured on a second 562 by now but I think I will pick up another 372 in the G model before they are gone. CJ
Good point. Since you mentioned 372's I will say that the dealer kinda hinted around that the 562 could out cut one in certain situations(which in my eyes happens a lot in small stuff with a good 50cc saw) I have ran a 372 and its nice one. Bigger overall size for sure than a 562 though...hate to hear you had problems with the 62, doesn't sound like you're the only one I'm afraid.

Good point. Since you mentioned 372's I will say that the dealer kinda hinted around that the 562 could out cut one in certain situations(which in my eyes happens a lot in small stuff with a good 50cc saw) I have ran a 372 and its nice one. Bigger overall size for sure than a 562 though...hate to hear you had problems with the 62, doesn't sound like you're the only one I'm afraid.
I really like the 562, as far as out cutting the 372, I would say in smaller softwoods it would but not a huge difference. It handles a little bit better, not as heavy and revs a little better. Mine was a absolute mizer with fuel. but the issues got worse the newer the saws are. Out a 5 saws [mine included] the first one was great. 2 of the last ones we got have running issues and mine got bad with the cold. Like I have said before mine has 1 more chance with Master Mind. I would love to keep the saw but I don't deal with issues like that. They just go away. CJ

Back