Newbie - Need help with choosing a ChainSaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaarneson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for something to take camping to cut up fallen trees and such. I don't need anything new. My budget is between 150-250. So Far I have looked into:

Echo 370 and 400
Husqvarna 445 and 435

Please any advise on a good machine would be great.

Thanks

Most modern manufactures make a decent chainsaw but you are kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel at your pricing level. For less money and weight, consider a quality axe and a good hand saw. For the axe, I would shoot for a Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay. I never go far afield without one on my hip. For the handsaw, get a good quality bow saw with a replaceable blade. Combo should handle anything you come across for camping. No mix or oil required.

For the price and warranty I would get it. I just purchased this same model saw.This would be a god camping companion but I would loose the 18 bar and replace it with a 16.Great anti vibe,good gas economy, and plenty of testosterone for a smaller cubic inch saw.If you get it I would take it to someone that has a special carburetor adjusting tool to rich en it up. I have reason to suspect this is why it has been reconditioned, Ken

I have a Jonsered 2141, think its now the 2240. I have a 16'' bar, plenty of power for most anything. I think I'd want to buy new, not reconditioned for a saw, full warranty is good. In my opinion for a smaller saw like the 445 I'd rather have a 16'' bar, I'm definetly far from an expert compared to most people here, but I believe with smaller saws its better to have a smaller bar, can still cut through stuff bigger than it, but doesn't overwhelm the smaller cc's.

. . . but I believe with smaller saws its better to have a smaller bar, can still cut through stuff bigger than it, but doesn't overwhelm the smaller cc's.

Right on. You can cut a LOT of bigger wood with a smaller saw if you have patience, and a shorter bar. :)

The Husqvarna 435 and 445 are both very good saws. A good friend of mine has the 435. While not very powerful, it is very light. I have used it several times while helping him clear land for his new barn and think it would be a very good camping saw.

If you are just looking for something to use only for camping I would hit some local yard sales and auctions on the weekends. You could pick up a fairly nice home owner style saw in good running condition for $50 and some times less. If you want to go new though I would say the 435 or 445 would suite your needs just fine.

Thanks Guys

Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

Centaur
I was thinking of getting an Axe as well. Those look like really nice axes....do you have one of them? If so, which one. I was thinking of getting the one sided full size axe....not sure if I should get the 2.5 or 3.5 head though.

I have an opportunity for a used Hasqvarna 350 locally....are these good saws? If I go to look at it what should I look for to make sure it is OK.

Thanks

I have an opportunity for a used Hasqvarna 350 locally....are these good saws? If I go to look at it what should I look for to make sure it is OK.

Thanks

The 350 has some issues IMHO, for me to buy a used 350 it would have to be really cheap, because the very first thing I would do would be to tear it down and reseal the crankcase and change the intake boot clamp.

They are great running saws, just need a bit of tweaking.

A 353, from an Arborist Site member, no way could you go wrong. Just my 2 cents...

The 350 has some issues IMHO, for me to buy a used 350 it would have to be really cheap, because the very first thing I would do would be to tear it down and reseal the crankcase and change the intake boot clamp.

They are great running saws, just need a bit of tweaking.

A 353, from an Arborist Site member, no way could you go wrong. Just my 2 cents...

The 353 is owned by an Arborist Site member but was never used or worked on. He got it in a bulk sale/trade.

The 350 is going for 140.00.

I just want some thing that is easy and dependable.

Back