non ethonol gas and storing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
this is just an FYI, and I bet you thought I was going to ask a question:),,, I haven't run any of my saws since feb. except for my limbing saw,, I just went out and started them up just to warm them up good and make sure everything is still set when I put them up,,, 3-4 pulls and they came to life and no adjustments where needed,, warmed them up to running temp,,shut them off and put them back into their hard cases,,, I been using 90 octane non ethanol fuel for about a year now in ALL my 2 strokers,,, guess it paid off,, when i was using ethanol gas i would drain the tank and idle dry if I knew they would be sitting on the shelf for a long time but not any more,,,,any who,, figured this info MIGHT help some of the newbies

Ya, mine lasts a long time too. I purposely left some for more than a year in a saw, started right up fine. That was 93 octane using echo oil.

Likewise here. I've been using Mobil 91 octane & BP 90 octane, both E-free, with Stihl Ultra @ 50:1. I usually start & warm up saws about every 6-8 wks. when they are not being used just to keep the internals lubed. The Mobil 91 mix has been stored for a year, at times, with no change in performance that I can detect. It may be OK beyond a year, but I put it in something besides my saws if it is that old. I have noticed that a slight tweak to the tune has been necessary, occasionally, if the mix has been stored in the saw beyond 9 mos.

Yuppers. Mine sit all winter with a warm up start here and there. Gas cans too. Come spring fire everything up and go where I left off. Premium nonethenol gas and Stihl HP Ultra.

All my mine are run dry in late Spring except my limber and fence row saw. Refill in early fall with Stihl hp 91 E-free.

Since E10 I only use 100LL AV gas and mixed it stores > 1 year. I use 1-gal coleman white gas cans for storage.

Recently a station ~ 20 miles away started carrying non E10 93 so I may try that for a comparison. The airport is only 3 miles away.

Since E10 I only use 100LL AV gas and mixed it stores > 1 year. I use 1-gal coleman white gas cans for storage.

Recently a station ~ 20 miles away started carrying non E10 93 so I may try that for a comparison. The airport is only 3 miles away.
I wouldn't even fool with the other gas, you'll only be dissappionted. The 100LL is the best choice by far. All of my equipment drinks 100LL except the lawn mower, but the last tank at the end of the season is 100LL. Never a problem.

There isn't any non ethanol near me so I just run some 40:1 tru fuel when ever I let them sit for a while, actually just ran out this morning and picked some up and ran it through my saws.

I use E10 exclusively as that's all that's available around here. Many of the herd sit for months with the fuel and I don't have any problems with starting, deteriorating lines, or carbs either. I do use Stihl Ultra and I firmly believe it is the reason for my lack of problems.

I used E10 up until I purchased the 441. My Echo blower I just got back from the dealer after dropping it off for carb adjustment said it was mostly due to the screen getting clogged by E10....and they adjusted the carb.

My biggest beef with all this "use non-ethanol" crap is that if it's not covered under warranty, then why the hell say in the manual that it's okay to use E10?!

Anyway, now that I have a place within 5 miles to buy non-ethanol (91 octane), I guess I have no more excuses for not buying it. But still...it's the principle that counts.

I used E10 up until I purchased the 441. My Echo blower I just got back from the dealer after dropping it off for carb adjustment said it was mostly due to the screen getting clogged by E10....and they adjusted the carb.

My biggest beef with all this "use non-ethanol" crap is that if it's not covered under warranty, then why the hell say in the manual that it's okay to use E10?!

Anyway, now that I have a place within 5 miles to buy non-ethanol (91 octane), I guess I have no more excuses for not buying it. But still...it's the principle that counts.

Well, think about it, they really have no choice. 99% of the pumps out there, all they have is e10. They can try and make the materials withstand it better, but...if it isn't fresh and stored incorrectly, etc, the owner yanking on a tank of sludge is gonna get what he paid for, sludge.

The saws will run fine on e10, it is when it sits and phase separates, then it is trying to run on like 50% water/ 50% alcohol, which will be first sucked up the tube from the bottom.

I know my local shop starting saving all the fuel from the tanks to show the owners if they want to complain about repairs that are related to improper fuel. They said dudes were just constantly arguing with them and that worked. It's in the manuals, on company websites, etc fresh only, not old, and stored properly. A month or three or six old, in some old can without a cap, fulla water moisture, and guys wonder why their gear doesn't start or why it toasted. Got their sludge in a glass jar, you can show them. Pull the sludge straight outta their saw/trimmer/mower, pretty obvious why it is not so hot especially for casual infrequent users and guys who are just cheapskates and buy the cheapest stuff they can find.

And even if the pump says e10, various independent tests around, some reported here, can show as high as e20 from the pump!

Latest posts

Back