Ok, you be the judge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amusing all this. I have a smattering of 2-stroke brands here, and they all get the same gas/oil. Super (no ethanol) gas and 45:1 Castrol 2T oil. I use that stuff, becasue it is available for cheap at auto parts stores, comes in quarts, and it is rated FB. Even Echo only has FC rated oil now... along with a lot of others. I no longer use Stihl or Husky oil, 'casue they do not certify them to any standard. So there is no knowing what's in there.

I also add gas stabilizer, but we use all these tools so aften there is no reason to. I have a Homelite blower that I bought 20 years ago and stored (empty; light oil coating in the cylinder) for 15 years, and after all that time it fired right up. The Stihl FS85 weedeater tends to sit for months, and runs fine on old or new stabilized gas. The Echo chainsaw is the same. That thing should have died 4 years ago. But it is still going.

All this being said, this looks like a straight gas issue. We have a 290 that is the little brother to the 310. It gets abused, and Stihl runs like a top. I have bought many a 2-stroke engine part on Ebay that were scored. You should see the motor on the 250 I just got. Deeply etched... I will have to post some pix here. O/w it is a $300 near new saw. The seller admitted it was straight gas in the tank. Too easy to mess up mixing gas, and kids and wives mess things up. I have 2 one gallon containers here that are the ONLY ones that are used to fill all the 2-smokes with. I mix them myself. We have like 5 types of gas here on the farm.

Hey, maybe he ran it on diesel? :buttkick:

Up here Stihl oil is Castrol.I would have assumed it was the same down there.I always use stabilizer for the mower,weedwacker etc over the winter and they always start first or second pull in the spring.I never trusted the "stabilizer in the oil" thing.I'm not sure why.
I think though the question remains-did the guy do anything wrong?Did he actually have the Stihl oil in it?Is the stabilizer nfg?Things you need to know to come to the proper conclusion that you likely will never find out.Imo,if it was a car at the shop where I work-The company eats the parts,the shop eats the labour-and you hope you keep an honest customer and not one who's laughing his a$$ off because he pulled one on you as he walks away-and there are lots of those out there as well.

Up here Stihl oil is Castrol.I would have assumed it was the same down there.I always use stabilizer for the mower,weedwacker etc over the winter and they always start first or second pull in the spring.I never trusted the "stabilizer in the oil" thing.I'm not sure why.

I am sure that someone other than Stihl makes their oil... amusing if it is Castrol. Cheaper at the auto store than at the Stihl shop. $4 a quart.

Well, OK, maybe just a firm handshake.

No, I don't think a little kiss on the cheek is in order.

How much discount?

Well, I don't care if it's 100%, no kiss.

Back room? No way.

I've heard about that.

You've got what in there?

Folgers and an 880?

Tell me more. I mean, ah, no way.

Well, OK maybe just a little peek.

I'll be dayuuuuuuum. You got me. You're reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good.

Joat

Glad you came by Joat. There's a bank across the street if you need gas money to make it home, thanks for the business ole feller. BTW, the tires on your car look alittle low, maybe you should leave some of that stuff ya bought here. Make another trip and come back and pick up the rest of it, I'll be re-stocked by then too,LOL

No JASO, API or ISO ratings on the labels.

hmmm... Sometimes you have to look on the back of the bottle...:buttkick:

Ultra : "Jasco-FB and API TC/TC+ Cerifications"
Super: "ISO-L-EGD and Jasco FD; Meets or exceeds API TC"

Can't tell you about Dino - don't have any around..

hmmm... Sometimes you have to look on the back of the bottle...:buttkick:

Ultra : "Jasco-FB and API TC/TC+ Cerifications"
Super: "ISO-L-EGD and Jasco FD; Meets or exceeds API TC"

Can't tell you about Dino - don't have any around..

Ahhhhhh... the good stuff. The local village Stihl dealer here does not sell the better Stihl stuff. Or maybe he does, but it is not on the counter. Stihl Ultra has the same cert. as Castrol 2T. Super sounds more better... FD. Typical for synthetics.

Was at the big Husky store in Eugene yesterday, I looked high and low on their oil bottles and there was no std information on them to be seen. Same with the orange cap standard Stihl stuff.

Ahhhhhh... the good stuff. The local village Stihl dealer here does not sell the better Stihl stuff. Or maybe he does, but it is not on the counter. Stihl Ultra has the same cert. as Castrol 2T. Super sounds more better... FD. Typical for synthetics.

Was at the big Husky store in Eugene yesterday, I looked high and low on their oil bottles and there was no std information on them to be seen. Same with the orange cap standard Stihl stuff.

The Stihl orange is all TC. I'll try to find a bottle in the dumpster...

Glad you came by Joat. There's a bank across the street if you need gas money to make it home, thanks for the business ole feller. BTW, the tires on your car look alittle low, maybe you should leave some of that stuff ya bought here. Make another trip and come back and pick up the rest of it, I'll be re-stocked by then too,LOL

10-4 Tommie ole buddy. What happens in Leesburg stays in Leesburg! Right?

Former miserable pr**ck, but now a nice ole man,

Joat

The Super is a semi-synthetic - a blend. The Ultra is the full syn. The rating is only what it was tested to. Ultra (according to Stihl) has other properties and they are attemting to get a new expanded classification extablished.

I thought we already had you run off! What are you doing sniffing back around here? :greenchainsaw:

I thought we already had you run off! What are you doing sniffing back around here? :greenchainsaw:

Thats a good question, even more so realizing your still in here, hell had I known that I wouldn't have given you the pleasure of my presence,LOL

I popped in cause Joat put up a post I couldn't resist. Someone had to turn him into a nice ole man and who better than me to do it.

(Yup Joat what goes on in Leesburg stays in Leesburg, no fear. I did call ya wife and tell her you needed lunch money for the rest of the week, she asked why, I cleverly told her you went shopping for her,hehe)

Red is that you that wrote this???????

Have you been pulling our leg all this time?????????

If so, good one............

yup, it's all me.

i wrote a how to on doing a tear down/build up on a Mac 110 last year and had people PMing me telling me I should have credited the Author.. no one beleived I worte it myself.:censored: :censored:

It sounds like you respect your customer and his habits. Communicate with them and make it right as best as possible. It looks like a good oppurtinty to R&D with a customer. I am a return customer when dealers treat meet fair and honestly, even when I'm at fault.

one can learn alot when one listens:givebeer:

Hey Fish...please explain "milk jug effect". Thanks.

Here in hillbilly country, many people will use almost any container for a
gas can, sometimes their container will be partially dissolved by the fuel
and the plastic/gas mixture will cook inside the saw and destroy the saw totally,bearings cystallize, etc.

Back