Ported 50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
there has been alot of questions/debate on here lately about the best 50cc saw to modify, or just in general... i found this great video from mastermind on youtube, so i thought i would share. it puts a competition winning stihl ms261, vs a husqvarna 550xp, vs a jonsered 2153. all saws have a woods port and are running the same chain.
Stihl MS261 VS Husqvarna 550XP VS Jonsered 2153 - YouTube

there has been alot of questions/debate on here lately about the best 50cc saw to modify, or just in general... i found this great video from mastermind on youtube, so i thought i would share. it puts a competition winning stihl ms261, vs a husqvarna 550xp, vs a jonsered 2153. all saws have a woods port and are running the same chain.
Stihl MS261 VS Husqvarna 550XP VS Jonsered 2153 - YouTube

Good video

I would like to see a similar one done with the saws at stock. It would help saw buyers who will keep saws stock (which believe or not many people do) decide on their purchase.

I don't remember ever seeing a 346XP built off. I'm setting with a new 346XP wondering where to send it.

I assure you that 2153 is an unbelievable saw.:msp_wink: As you can see in my sig- I have first hand experience with it. It has gotten even better with the fuel I've pushed thru it. Randy said it was the best 346/2153 he had ever done. And yes the 261 in that video won first in a build off only cementing the supremacy of that 2153. I believe Randy also noted that the 550 was one of his first and he left alot on the table with that one. There is great porting potential in a 550 irregardless what has been rumored about them only needing a muffler mod.:dizzy:

I assure you that 2153 is an unbelievable saw.:msp_wink: As you can see in my sig- I have first hand experience with it. It has gotten even better with the fuel I've pushed thru it. Randy said it was the best 346/2153 he had ever done. And yes the 261 in that video won first in a build off only cementing the supremacy of that 2153. I believe Randy also noted that the 550 was one of his first and he left alot on the table with that one. There is great porting potential in a 550 irregardless what has been rumored about them only needing a muffler mod.:dizzy:

When was there a 261 build off? I must have missed it.

After reading here on AS what the saw builder's have said about MS 261

Like one builder said of the MS 261...."a modded 261 is king in my book"

dont know if it was a 261 build off but this is straight from the comments below the video.... and similar remarks have been made referencing this in other threads.:rock:

mastermind7864 2 weeks ago
It was.........and that 261 won the 3 cube work saw build off in VA.......

Several builders agree that the 261 ported makes a very useable saw, great torque and forgiving powerband. If you look at speed, weight, handling the odds shift to the 346 and variants. If you dont mind the weight and are looking for torque in the cut than the 261 gets the nod. For me, 50cc is strictly for fast limbing. If I want to make larger diameter cuts or want more azz in the cut, I'll pull one of the 359s. I'm clearing a wooded lot on the weekends and I have felled most of it with the 359s. I dropped several larger trees with the 288 and bucked them up with 2171 and 120si.

These were all done with 2153 and 359. This size is the only reason I have the 359s with 18''bars. I dont have access to a tractor, so I loaded these by hand by myself a couple Saturdays ago. After doing it this way and bucking them up on the trailer, I decided to buck them up on the ground and just pitch the cuts on the trailer next time. Put me some 4' walls on the trailer since then.

I have ported 346's by three of the best on here. You could throw a hankerchief over them in terms of performance and it would cover them all. A ported 346 is all anyone needs in wood smaller than 16". You might loose a second or two to a ported 60 or 70cc saw in wood that size, but the comfort and tossability of a 50cc saw (read 346/550) means my larger ported saws largely sit.

The thing I believe will give the 550 a chance to be stronger than a 346 is the longer stroke. I know guys are learning more about these saws and are miles ahead of where they were when this video was made. Lot's of potential laying around in that platform. I'm not sure why the 5100's or 5105's don't get any love. They're a damn fine saw.

Long live the 346:rock:

Long live the 261:rock:

Long live the 550:rock:

Actually, the little 260 you did for me runs really well. I've got your ported 261, ported 260 and a MM modded 550XP and it would be hard to decide. Depends on what you like. Just sold a ported 346XP (don't miss it) and have a stock 346XP that maybe somebody could show me what's so great about them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back