Purchasing first saw, please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the most knowledgeable person here by any means, but since you're asking for an opinion I suddenly feel qualified!

I would try to look for a used/older saw, I'm partial to Stihl, and have an 011, 012, and 026. Any of those would work well for you, and although there's plastic on them, they aren't half bad. I used my 012 last winter to cut a couple cords of mixed wood, mostly 14" stuff, and it worked like a charm.

Basically, if you can find a used saw that runs, I'd say get that. Brad's saw is probably a good bet also, seems a fair number of people believe in it.

Not sure if you have a Solo dealer around you, but they make some good lightweight saws that are pro-consumer quality (637 and 643 anyway).

To the people recommending the 3800 - what is the recommend woodsize for a ported 3800? I'm trying to get everything straight since last week I heard 6-8" is the appropriate size for an 026. ;)

Bob's 50's wouldn't be a bad choice at all imo.

To the people recommending the 3800 - what is the recommend woodsize for a ported 3800? I'm trying to get everything straight since last week I heard 6-8" is the appropriate size for an 026. ;)

Bob's 50's wouldn't be a bad choice at all imo.

Depends who you ask. Some on here would say nothing more than 3" limbs lol. I'd say a ported 3800 should be good for regular sawing of 8-10" trunks, and up to 14" or so if you don't mind going a little slower.

I agree...I was just making a point that sometimes the overanalyzation of enthusiasts can blur perceptions of other non enthusiast readers on the forum.

It is true people here tend to think everyone needs a 70cc saw or larger. Last year was my first year using a chainsaw I bucked up about 9 cord, some logs 20" diameter, with an MS250. It worked great and I had no complaints. Then my FIL let me use a 670 super for a day, and then I started coming on this site, and now I usually only use the MS250 for stuff 6" or under

I have two husky 242g one is waiting for a new Piston and maybe a new cylinder, but the other one is a runner actually becoming on of my favorites. It's fast, light and screams:)
It's prolly the saw that see the most use now because I find it so easy too take it with me.
If you find one used in good condition I would recommend it for you.

Regards

John

I was using my gz4000 this morning to cut some cookies off of a oak blowdown. This saw is the saw that replaced the 3800. The oak is 10" in diameter where I was cutting and it works very well. I even did several cuts where I bored into the tree and it definitely does the job very well. I have also used this saw to take down some oak, some hickory, and some pine in the 10 to 12" diameter range. I hope this info will be useful in your decision. By the way, my saw is strictly a stock saw.

I have no problem shipping my 3800 to Canada if you're interested. The price does include shipping, even to you in Canada. This saw came from Canada and here it might be going back, lol. I hadn't read this thread and had no idea I had so many salesmen at work for me!:)

Brad, if that saw is not gone by the end of the month let me know and I'll take it. Hopefully, Cannuck Jay will pick it up cause I think he would do well with it.

I liked my little 170 for its lightweight and ability to cut alot of what I ran into when I started out. It's easier to carry something like that with you when you are just out walking around with no cutting in mind.

The husky and the jonsered that you mentioned are the same saw just different color and a strait handlebar vs a angled one.

I am a husky guy but I would not recommend either of them. They are basically a re badged poulan and are the lowest quality saws in the husky/jonsered line up.

In the husky line up for saws that size I would look at the 435. Around here they run about 20 bucks more and are a much better saw.

I would also recommend that you look into brads saw in the trading post and buy it over all the other saws that you have listed. That is a steal of a deal and if I had the extra coin right now I would be all over it.

Latest posts

Back