Recommendations on a shmedium sized saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently own an Echo CS330-T and a Makita DCS6401. I use the echo for cuts where I need to climb and skirting conifers. The Makita is good for most everything else, but it’s a bit heavy for my 115lb wife. So I’m looking for something in between. Maybe a 421/4300???

My main considerations are weight for a saw ~40-50cc and not being made in china. I’m buying new, so please keep the suggestions to current saws.

Again, WEIGHT is my most important consideration.

Thanks!

Dolmar 421
Makita ea4300

Same saw.

Those who have them love them. Those who don’t , don’t know.

Oops! I guess it fails slightly in the power/weight ratio.

Which matters not at all when you actually run it and realize it is a lightweight, small bore saw that actually has torque.

I think the 421 isn’t a current model anymore..? The husky 545 and dol 421 are both 10.8# for the power head.

Am I better off pumping up the CS330-T and saving my money? Are there good mods that produce actual torque gains for these little dudes?

They still make the 421, but I think it's called a Makita EA4300. Also there's one for sale on AboristSite right now. Might not be a big deal, but they used to be made in Germany. Now it's China. I don't know where the one on OP E is made. Good price though. I have one and it's a great saw.

Echo CS-400. Muffler mod and retune and it will hold its own against anything close in size. Light, easy to handle and $300.

I love my EA4300. I'm running a 20 inch bar on it right now to relieve that bend over factor a little. The saw rocks with this set-up. I find myself grabbing this saw before most that I have.

Back