Should I get White's Boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What, no love for Nick's? Shame. I have an old set of Buffalos, too, which have lasted me through several seasons of forestry work as calks, and I just had 'em resoled with Vibram when I got White's calks this winter. Nick's for the fireline, Buffalos for dry days, White's for wet days. Happy feet. Got an old set of Hoffman's in reserve if I forget anything. They're 18 kinds of worn-out but comfy as hell.

Wouldn't touch Georgia, Red Wings, etc if you paid me to.

Sure. Nick's are great boots. I say that never having owned a pair but a buddy of mine loves his and I can't really tell the difference from White's. My first pair of good boots were Wesco (from Bailey's back around 1985) but the Wesco dealer ruined them when he resoled them. My second pair of Wescos were non-replaceable corks but they fell apart after something spilled on the tongue. I have worn White's since 1987 and never looked back though I now need a new pair of corks and it is a toss up between having a pair of White's resoled or buy Vybergs from Madsen's.

What, no love for Nick's? Shame. I have an old set of Buffalos, too, which have lasted me through several seasons of forestry work as calks, and I just had 'em resoled with Vibram when I got White's calks this winter. Nick's for the fireline, Buffalos for dry days, White's for wet days. Happy feet. Got an old set of Hoffman's in reserve if I forget anything. They're 18 kinds of worn-out but comfy as hell.

Wouldn't touch Georgia, Red Wings, etc if you paid me to.

I have some Nick's Vibram sole boots. They are comfortable and well made but the sole is a little thin for anything but good ground or running equipment.

Anyone ever herd of Buffalo boots?

There is a store here in La Grande that has a huge selection of boots. They carry whites along with Hawthorns. I wanna get me some pacs, but I want them custom I think.

Anyway, they have old signs for Buffalo boots as well as a few pairs of used Buffalos, the used ones looked to be some good boots from what I could tell...

There is a store here in La Grande that has a huge selection of boots. They carry whites along with Hawthorns. I wanna get me some pacs, but I want them custom I think.

Anyway, they have old signs for Buffalo boots as well as a few pairs of used Buffalos, the used ones looked to be some good boots from what I could tell...

They used to be great boots from what I have seen and heard, but I have never owned any. I have heard that they have changed ownership and are not what they once were. But this is all second hand info so verify it some where else first.

They used to be popular. I haven't heard of them for some time. They were said to take a while to break in.

Speaking of, I'm hoping the snow level doesn't drop again like they are predicting so I can wear my hop and skip in the woods Kuliens. I actually found myself jogging between boundary trees when I got into a unit that was not so vine mapley and huckleberry brushy. Then it got steep...always something. :)

I'm damn sure gonna get some white's or wescos or even vibergs.

these wolverinewhatevers stretch bad. Hell I almost rolled my ankle the other day on the trail. Piss poor leather. More like pleather I think. (plastic and leather)

I'd wear my hoffman corks for my snagfalling but the ground is extremely rocky. The corks would be wore plumb off in a week.

Haha, yeah every farmer around here thinks chipawhatevers are the best thing ever. They don't believe that buying a better more expensive boot is justifiable. I haven't slapped on a pair of White's yet, but I do know that my Viberg boots are the most compfterable boots I've ever worn.

Me too!:cheers:

I'd like to find a pair of boots that lasted me 20 years. But if I bought them today I'd have to work 'til I was 83 just to wear them out.;)

You're right about spending the bucks for good boots, though. It's worth it. Nothing worse than boots that tear up your feet.

Absolutely agree. I bought a pair of half & half's once, (leather uppers & rubber bottoms). Where the leather joined the rubber was right at my achilles. Made absolute hamburger out of my feet. Not a good scene.

Got a pair of Buffalos on my feet right now. Had 'em forever. Started life as calks, got Vibram soles now. Nice boots, tough and comfy. No Kevlar stitching, though, so no good for fireline.

I think Buffalos are or at least used to be a brand White's owned for their off shore made cheapo boots.

Mine are stamped "Buffalo Boot Co Since 1906 Spokane, WA".

Last edited:
thanks for all your helpful replies.

yeah i am convinced it is worth it, and its finally time.

talked to whites and i am now looking to get a pair of 10" smoke jumpers with lineman shank, regular sole and climbers patch, a little bit wide so i can wear insoles, and i am 80% towards getting a steel toe.

they said the triple thick sole can be a little stiff for anything but climbing and i only weigh 155. i also have to get a 1/2" full sole lift in one boot to make up for difference in leg length, so i don't want the sole thickness to get ridiculous.

these sound like they will be more bang for the buck than any of the georgialinachippawhatevers i have owned or heard about.

Last edited:
worth every penny!! and rebuildable at the cost of any dept. store boot. i am not an expert on the subject but i have never liked the idea of steel toes-being around heavy eq. the toe wouldn't really save as much as cut off whatever is inside and not allow the boot to come off (my imagination). but you know what they say about opinions...

thanks for all your helpful replies.

yeah i am convinced it is worth it, and its finally time.

talked to whites and i am now looking to get a pair of 10" smoke jumpers with lineman shank, regular sole and climbers patch, a little bit wide so i can wear insoles, and i am 80% towards getting a steel toe.

they said the triple thick sole can be a little stiff for anything but climbing and i only weigh 155. i also have to get a 1/2" full sole lift in one boot to make up for difference in leg length, so i don't want the sole thickness to get ridiculous.

these sound like they will be more bang for the buck than any of the georgialinachippawhatevers i have owned or heard about.

They are not even it the same category.
Get a set of Spenco day packer insoles.

worth every penny!! and rebuildable at the cost of any dept. store boot. i am not an expert on the subject but i have never liked the idea of steel toes-being around heavy eq. the toe wouldn't really save as much as cut off whatever is inside and not allow the boot to come off (my imagination). but you know what they say about opinions...

I always felt the same way. If you cant keep your tootsies out of harms way, you should probably not be near possible danger..

Whites lifetime depends on how they are used. I got a season and a half out of mine while marking timber. Then they needed rebuilding. I didn't abuse them, we covered ground, up and down, up and down all day-May till the snow got too deep. Maybe they improved them, but I sure couldn't get 20 years out of a pair doing that kind of work. The high arches are something to consider. I liked them. Other people are bothered by them. For me they were very comfortable, and good for my feet--I have high arched feet.

The bad? Maybe they've changed, but I couldn't keep my feet dry when the ground was wet. I tried every grease and oil on them. Other people said that they were not made for wet weather. This was in the 1980s. They also bothered my heel tendon when not walking--riding to the work site. Our boss made us wear boots in the rig.

Wescos? The side blew out from working on steep ground and my foot would roll. Owie.

Redwings? Hurt my feet. I think they had NO arch support for my weird feet.

Then I've had a variety of fru fru hiking boots I wore when working during the exile years--flat ground out of the PNW. They don't last.

Whites would be my choice IF I were in a drier climate. But I work in the wet so I wear the local custom made boot.

Whites Warranty is only for a year on all their boots now. They had to change their warranty. When I was wildland firefighting in the Southwest I would blow out a pair of boots every six months and wear out a brand new Stihl every 12 months, changing the bar every three months. Anyway, I would deffinately go with a 16" tall pair of double shank Wesco's. Don't get me wrong, Whites are very nice. However, Whites don't have as many options a climber requires. I know Wesco makes a pair of 16" boots with double shanks. I am currently in the market for a pair myself. If you got the funds you might want to get the rough side out on the toe and heal as well. They are going to get scuffed up to high heaven anyway. They will look better for a while. Wesco also offers kevlar tripple stitching as well. There's your answer:

WESCO Highliners Made in USA

• Double Shank
    16" or taller
    Kevlar Thread
    Rough-out Toe
    Rough-out Heel

There you go, they will cost you around $500 but, should last you a few years. Believe me, if I could, I would. You can always get a pair of kevlay laces after a month or two. If you work in a rural area yo might want to invest in a pair.

Latest posts

Back