So, what's your day job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I miss my 300# son. He flat whips out the tires. He did his first set of semi tires when he was 14. Tractor and trailer all in one day, by hand. I know tire guys that are way faster than that, but 18 tires in 9 hours is a feat for a 14 y.o.
That's something. I've seen people do it the old school way. Looks terrible. I've only done mower tires by and and my Harley tires. I've seen two of my buddies at my local tire shop take 2.5 hours to put a 11r22 tire on a 22.5 wheel. Lmao! They wondered why the bead wouldn't seat!!! That scenario ended with taking a sawzaw to a brand new tire to get it back off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I locate and protect long haul fiber optics. If I screw up, you wouldn't be able to post comments on this site, look something up on Google, or have air traffic control or national defense. A cut of our lines costs around a million dollars a minute. FYI, you don't have enough insurance coverage. Call 811 before you dig!
story,,truth.. guy in c rapids ia, was a plumber.. he called the locate boys,,and they said,,they were done, he asked them again,,you sure?? they said yup!! he went about his digging, for a new sewer line,,for new house. fiber optic,,about two inch dia,,got cut right in half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he seen it, when part of the line come up. wasn't his fault,,but he shut the loader off,,got in his truck and left,,and closed his business.....I know the guy,,that used to work for the same cable co,,and he told me what happened,,and our internet was down for a three day period!!!!!!!

As you might guess, I'm pretty jaded on the whole truck mechanic thing. I actually made it almost 26 years in that line of work. Honestly, most people don't make it much past diesel school. I've raised my family on it, I can fix most anything. If you become good at it, you'll always have a job. I've never been laid off a day in my life. You can't just think you're good at fixing stuff. You need good reading, writing, communication and computer skills. You have to enjoy continually learning new things. After school, the initiative to learn is mostly all up to you. You don't start out making much money, but you will need to build up maybe a 10 to 15 thousand dollar set of tools. If you don't start out at a good place to work, you can get stuck doing grunt work and never getting the chance to progress in the field. As I said, transportation companies don't have to pay overtime, trucks are mostly back at the shop on nights and weekends, so that's when you'll likely end up working. If you work at a dealership or independent repair shop, the competition in certain areas can be brutal. Labor rates for repairing your ATV, boat motor, or snowmobile by usually some young punk kid is over $100 an hour. People think you screwing them for charging even near that much for working on their $120,000 truck. If you work for an actual trucking company, YOU WILL BE AN UNWANTED NECESSITY. Also, it's hard, dirty, dangerous work. At 46 years old, I wanted to make a change before I was too old to get hired for anything else. I do probably have a little higher standard of living than someone with no skills making the same amount of money. I spend much less on vehicles and all kinds of repairs than most other people. Also, I was lucky, I worked Monday through Friday day shift, for the last 21 years.

The first rule in being good at something is...YOU GOTTA WANNA. To make it in the truck repair industry long term, you gotta wanna...real bad.

P.S. Don't take my negativity too seriously, work is work, we've been doing it ever since the fall of Adam and Eve. We're meant to work. Work is it's own reward. It's just nice to be appreciated a little.

Good luck.
damn fine post,Festus,,and the whole truth!!!!!!!!!!!

Firefighter/EMT, ambulance EMT, get out doing wildfires in the summer, woodcutting in the summer also, mechanic by interest and schooling, can do or operate most anything mechanical or construction related.... hmm, dirt track racer, mountain biker, Soldier in Army National Guard.... yah, Jack of all trades!

Duane
you know the old saying, bout a jack of all trades??? :D:D

i'm a generator mechanic, work on everything that produces power.. seen some crazy shrt that keeps me scratching my head thinking hows this not on fire?
same thing being a car mechanic,,you wonder how,,they aint killed themselves yet,,with what they drove into the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like my partner said,,,just when I thought id seen it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's something. I've seen people do it the old school way. Looks terrible. I've only done mower tires by and and my Harley tires. I've seen two of my buddies at my local tire shop take 2.5 hours to put a 11r22 tire on a 22.5 wheel. Lmao! They wondered why the bead wouldn't seat!!! That scenario ended with taking a sawzaw to a brand new tire to get it back off!

Two bars and lots of lube. He can start with a 22.5 on the floor, dismount and mount a new tire, in under 4 minutes. That's actually pretty slow. I watched one of the tire guys I use do two tires in under three minutes. It's actually really simple, WAY easier than a Harley tire. Getting the tires off of the trailer and putting them back on is the hard part most of the time.

That's why I miss my 300# son. He flat whips out the tires. He did his first set of semi tires when he was 14. Tractor and trailer all in one day, by hand. I know tire guys that are way faster than that, but 18 tires in 9 hours is a feat for a 14 y.o.

Try one of these. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...Steel-Aluminum-tire-font-b-changer-b-font.jpg this is what we used to dismount tires at the shop i worked for. no work and only takes 30 seconds to dismount a tire

story,,truth.. guy in c rapids ia, was a plumber.. he called the locate boys,,and they said,,they were done, he asked them again,,you sure?? they said yup!! he went about his digging, for a new sewer line,,for new house. fiber optic,,about two inch dia,,got cut right in half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he seen it, when part of the line come up. wasn't his fault,,but he shut the loader off,,got in his truck and left,,and closed his business.....I know the guy,,that used to work for the same cable co,,and he told me what happened,,and our internet was down for a three day period!!!!!!!

We have an 18inch buffer zone........so I can be off by that much. Very little excuse for much more than 3-4 inches off side to side. Depth is a different story. Our equipment isn't as accurate at that.
If we don't mark it, you are without blame. Most utility locators have a mix of gas, electric, water.......... and for several different companies. I locate 2 large fibers, for the same company and that is it. If we were to get cut, a repair team would be flown in on a helicopter, and they would have armed security.

Damn lady, don't you understand that no matter what our goverment does for them they are always gonna want to kill us because we don't bow down to allah. K or be K'd.

Damn lady, don't you understand that no matter what our goverment does for them they are always gonna want to kill us because we don't bow down to allah. K or be K'd.
Definitely kill them all, but there are a couple hundred threads devoted to that in the political forum. I was really enjoying getting to know my chainsaw friends better. I hope the thread returns to its initial intent

Sorry fellas, I just get tired of its dumb comments all the time, I feel she tries to stir the pot all the time, and I guess I'm the dumbass cause I always fall for it.

I dunno how you do that day in and day out, but send a few my way haha! I just dropped $2000 on 4 recaps and 2 steers
i need the drive tires replaced on a old ford F600 it has those 3 piece rim with 9.00-20 tires.
you can replace mine for me :)

Back