So, what's your day job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many here know, I'm a Stihl dealer. I do about 30% of our repairs at this moment. My Stihl department is a small portion of a multi-faceted business that includes hardware, building materials, lumber, tool and small heavy equipment rental. We also truck all of our own freight from 100 miles away. My week is trucking at least two days a week in the winter, and four days in the summer, repair saws at night, manage the business in the hours in between. I also do a lot of the repairs on everything else with an engine around our place. In all of this I make sure that I spend plenty of time with my wife and kids. It's challenging and I love every single minute of it. I spend entirely too much time here :(

What business is that? Bailey's rental?

As many here know, I'm a Stihl dealer. I do about 30% of our repairs at this moment. My Stihl department is a small portion of a multi-faceted business that includes hardware, building materials, lumber, tool and small heavy equipment rental. We also truck all of our own freight from 100 miles away. My week is trucking at least two days a week in the winter, and four days in the summer, repair saws at night, manage the business in the hours in between. I also do a lot of the repairs on everything else with an engine around our place. In all of this I make sure that I spend plenty of time with my wife and kids. It's challenging and I love every single minute of it. I spend entirely too much time here :(

I was a diesel/truck mechanic for 25 years, but this last September I left that occupation to work on forklifts for a large warehousing company. Technically, I'm in fleet maintenance, so I still work on a truck now and then. Things had gotten sour with the ownership at my old company and overall, the transportation industry is pretty raw. It's hard to find a day job in trucking, and a lot of companies do not pay overtime over 40 hours. The stress level is waaayyyy down at my new job, and I don't have to spend all day outside getting trucks running when it's below zero out. It was hard to give up 4 weeks vacation, and to start over being the new guy with lots of new stuff to learn.

Was a dud tester for looney toones ("...and just think, in thirty years I can retire!), finally made it out of that job and they made me a plumbing heating & cooling contractor turned facilities manager for a small bio lab that engineers better performing hammers for the dud testers who haven't made it out yet. Yup, giving back to the community...

Good stuff.

Self-employed, semi-retired carpenter, cabinet and furniture maker. Prime interest is restoring old houses and furniture. I cut and split standing dead trees to heat my house and woodworking shop. Do some tree work from time to time. Have been a Museum Curator, worked as a conservator and exhibit designer in archaeology, worked in the Millwork shop at Colonial Williamsburg, was curator at a small museum.

Latest posts

Back