Stihl 290 a good choice for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heavy and underpowered are terms that are subjective though
if someone is used to using a 10 year old crapsman and then buys a brand new ms290, they will be amazed !

to some people corvettes are junk, after all, its no ferrari or porsche , but damn.. its still a vette!!! maybe not the best comparison but..

IMO, would be an excellent choice for you. Cant go wrong with it. Someone made a very good point in saying it aint stihls number one seller for n:blob2:o reason!

From what you're describing, your needs in a saw were very much like my own...before CAD settled in :p

When I went looking at a new saw (its the ONLY time ive ever bought a new saw!) I wanted something in the 50cc class, but did not want to spend much over $450 (this is in Canada).

I had narrowed down my choice to the 290 and the husky 455...then someone told me about a Dolmar 510 (very similar class - about $100 cheaper). After doing a fair bit of research I decided to go with the step up from the 510 - the dolmar 5100 - which was (at that time anyway) roughly the same price as the 290 and 455 - but a professional grade saw.

I dont regret it one bit.

That said, i do also agree with others that I dont think you'd go wrong buying a 290...its probably not the best value for money out there, but it will get the job done.

The homeowner who cuts a few cords of firewood a year does not necessary need a "PRO" saw. Before CAD set in, I had the MS 310 and really liked working with the saw. I had tried several others, a MAC 610, Pulan/ Craftsman X3 and decided to try a Stihl. It just works. Now you can't expect a 290/310/390 to act like a 066 or 880. You can't put a 24 or even 20 inch bar and chain and expect it to putt it like a much larger saw - it will not do it. But with a 18 inch bar and SHARP chain the saw will cut anything you want to cut with it. I have cut 30 inch oak with mine. Slow? Yes. But it gets through it. You would have to do the same with the 260 - and get to spend an extra $200 for the privilege.

I would suggest a modded muffler for your saw. It will breath more air and run a higher RPM - but will need to be tuned for the mod.

When CAD kicks in, then a PRO saw with many many cc's like a 066/660 and 880 will be something to allow you to work on those larger projects and have a good bit of fun while doing it.

Many here could be thought of as PRO saw snobs - the only good saw is a pro saw. For a pro, who makes his living with a saw, quite right. But for most of us, before CAD, the 290/310/390 family work just fine, do the job they were bought to do and last, if taken care of.

Hal

If you are cutting on a farm/ranch, use your tax exempt status and buy an MS362. Or buy a the classic 50cc & 70cc combo (Husqvarna NE346XP & 372XP) one saw at a time. Fer cryin' aut laud!
:greenchainsaw:

If you're purchasing tools tax-exempt then you're breaking the law... tools do not, and cannot legally be claimed tax-exempt.

The little ms290 is out of my league. I guess it is a good saw cuz stihl sells a bazillion of them but Zebco sells a bazillion 202s. Does that make them a decent fishing reel?? Price wise, I guess so. What is the price on a new ms290???

I had an 029 Stihl (previous model number for MS290) that I bought somewhere around 1995 and I owned the saw for over 12 years before I found this this site and got afflicted with a need for more power! The saw cut a lot of wood during that period of time and I used it for cutting downed trees and limbs on my 25 acres, and for clearing the land for my new house. It worked flawlessly for those 12 years and I sold it for $ 275.....which works out to about $ 10 a year to own that saw when you factor in the extra chain and parts I bought. It still looked and cut great and the new owner is still pleased with it. The only reason that I decided to sell it and get a bigger saw was that I bought an OWB about the same time that a 24" diameter Hickory fell down across my fence an onto the neighbors pasture - and that hard Shagbark Hickory wood and size of the tree was just a bit much for the 029. It cut the tree slowly and did the job - but I realized I was probably asking too much from the saw. With the new OWB I faced a future of cutting a lot of wood, and I decided it was time to move up. Reading on this site got me buying saws like crazy and after a few saws came and went I ended up with my current 3 saw plan.

I have never regretted owning the 029 and would not stop a friend from buying one. When I bought my 029 I was a newly wed, had just stuck my neck out and bought a 25 acre farm, and I had very little money to spare and buying a pro saw was not an option for me. Now that I heat with wood the money I have in saws is justified - at the time I owned the 029 a pro level saw was not a possibility.

Last edited:
There are quite a few saws out there for around $100 more that are lighter, built better and cut faster than a MS290. That 3.8 hp is just a selling point as there are saws out there with the same or less listed hp that cut faster. 346xp, Dolmar 5100 to name a coulple of them. Steve

If you're purchasing tools tax-exempt then you're breaking the law... tools do not, and cannot legally be claimed tax-exempt.

I just checked the details on the PA law, and I see you're correct. My parents did essentially all the purchasing when their land was a working farm, but they haven't had the exemption for years (that may change very soon). I learned something new today--thanks, CountryBoy19! :clap:

Last edited:
My father just retired his trusty 029 after 14-15 years of firewood cutting. Was it the best or worse saw for the intended job??? The last "good" saw he used was a Sears branded David Bradley in the late 50's . His 029 was light years ahead of the David Bradley in terms of usability. I just gave him a J-Red 2159. Do you think that old 029 is going to get any use??? Nope!!! That 2159's av and air filter is so much better then the 029's .

Pro saws are great, but their price tag typically isn't.

I haven't ran a 290, but the 310 and 390 (replaced by 311 and 391) are respectable saws for someone who just has moderate cutting needs.

The 390 cuts anything my dad ever wants to sink his into, and does it eagerly. The 310 is another decent cutter, it's what we run on our brush trucks at my firehouse. Granted, they're not being used everyday, but they work when we call on them and take a flogging.

As far as being a pain to work on, do you intend to wear out the saw in under 3 years and then rebuild it yourself, along with modifying it to run at something just north of 16 hp on a mixture of alcohol, nitroglycerin and magic? If not, you'll probably take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

The reality is that any saw breakdown you'll have will happen within the warranty period, and if it doesn't, it was probably something you did anyway (i.e. straight gas, no air filter, decided to see if it actually was a good boat anchor).

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to to purchase a 290, 310, 390. Not sure how the 311, 391 are doing in the long run, but I hear they are way smoother to run than the old design.

Talk to the dealer, see if you like them. I've got a Stihl/Husky dealer and a Jonsered dealer close by. I like both, but really like the Stihl guy. Made the difference on a new saw.

If you don't run a larger saw, you won't be dissatisfied with whatever you buy.

My 290 was a pro saw to me after cleaning up the property with craftsman and poulan junk saws for years. It will do what you want and do it well.

However if somone offers to let you cut with a 361 or a 346xp tell them no.:cry:

I strongly advice you to not buy that saw. In my and many others eyes it's a heavy underpowered pig without AV or air filtration. And yes, I have tried one and that moment has given me nightmares ever since.

If you buy any of these saws you should be fine:

346, 353, 357, 365, 372, 576, 260, 261, 361, 362,
441, 2153, 2152, 2156, 165, 2171, 5100, 7900

Quite many so it shouldn't be impossible to find
any of these in good used shape or new to fit your budget.
But du yourself a favor and stay away from the 290.

/Peter

Thanks for all of he replies. Just one thing, though. I originally posted this on the Firewood forum, because I knew if I posted it here on the Chainsaw forum, I would get nothing but "Buy a pro saw" responses. I appreciate the fact that you guys want me to by the best, but I am a typical homeowner, will cut less than 5 cord a year with it and do not need to drop $600 on a saw. I'm not looking for a Porsche. A Dodge Intrepid is fine. One last post listed a bunch of excellent saws that start at $520. I can get a 290 for less than $400, including tax and an extra chain. I've heard good things about a Dolmar, but do not have a dealer in my area. Several peple suggested I buy 3 saws. I priced them out, and they will total over $1500. I'm not going to start a tree business, I just want to saw some wood, and my little Stihl Mini-Boss I bought to limb up some pines is just not up to the task anymore. It was perfect for what I originally needed it for, and I still use it for light cutting. I have acces to an old 029, and it is :greenchainsaw:great. Unfortunately, the guy won't sell it.

I just checked the details on the PA law, and I see you're correct. My parents did essentially all the purchasing when their land was a working farm, but they haven't had the exemption for years (that may change very soon). I learned something new today--thanks, CountryBoy19! :clap:

No problem... just wanted to point it out so nobody gets in trouble. The small amount of tax money you would save on a chainsaw isn't worth the tax-battle that would ensue if it was discovered. The only reason I know this is because I grew up on a farm and still help out when dad needs the help or when I go home to visit.

For it to be tax-eligible it pretty much has to be a consumable expense (seed, fertilizer, etc.). There are some other things that qualify but I know that tools isn't one of them.

i just finished my 3rd year of firewood cutting with my 310. As you know by now, it is very similar to the 290 just has like a tiny bit more hp. well, i beat the hell out of mine constantly and it just keeps on cutting. never had a problem. my father in-law bought a 290 a few years ago and he is terrible with maintenance - always runs the bar oil dry, mixes the gas/oil like a drunk sailor, and that thing runs like a top. good homeowner choices IMO.

Thanks for all of he replies. Just one thing, though. I originally posted this on the Firewood forum, because I knew if I posted it here on the Chainsaw forum, I would get nothing but "Buy a pro saw" responses. I appreciate the fact that you guys want me to by the best, but I am a typical homeowner, will cut less than 5 cord a year with it and do not need to drop $600 on a saw. I'm not looking for a Porsche. A Dodge Intrepid is fine. One last post listed a bunch of excellent saws that start at $520. I can get a 290 for less than $400, including tax and an extra chain. I've heard good things about a Dolmar, but do not have a dealer in my area. Several peple suggested I buy 3 saws. I priced them out, and they will total over $1500. I'm not going to start a tree business, I just want to saw some wood, and my little Stihl Mini-Boss I bought to limb up some pines is just not up to the task anymore. It was perfect for what I originally needed it for, and I still use it for light cutting. I have acces to an old 029, and it is :greenchainsaw:great. Unfortunately, the guy won't sell it.
I've seen several MS290's at local pawn shops for less than $250. All of them in excellent condition, with 18-20" bars, and most look as if they had minimal use. Being the best selling saw means that they are everywhere, and that they are common enough to be fairly cheap on the used market. No, they're not a pro grade saw, but like you said, you're not gonna use it everyday to make a living, so it'll last you years and will do the job you're wanting out of it. The 041FB was considered an "occasional" use saw, and every single one I've ever seen was still running nearly 30 years later if the owner took care of it. IMO-ignore the saw "elitists" and their opinions on saws since you're not gonna be using it every single day, and enjoy using that 290 when you find one.
JL

get the 290 ,have them put a 18" bar chain combo on it and get the difference towards a spare chain or 2. aways keep the chain sharp and this saw will be worth every dollar you spent.

Latest posts

Back