Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stopped by my Stihl/ Echo dealer yesterday for some parts. They had a 500i on the shelf for about $1,450. Asked if they sold many. Surprsingly said they sell them as fast as they get them. MOst employees there were very impressed with the weight, instant throttle response and power. I asked them about the Echo 7310. They didnt know anything about it.

Stopped by my Stihl/ Echo dealer yesterday for some parts. They had a 500i on the shelf for about $1,450. Asked if they sold many. Surprsingly said they sell them as fast as they get them. MOst employees there were very impressed with the weight, instant throttle response and power. I asked them about the Echo 7310. They didnt know anything about it.
When I went to pick mine up, another guy came in to by one, all four were gone within week.

A 500i with a 20" bar??
That is the way it was on display at the Marietta Ohio location. Light weight bar. Said they could put 25 or 24 forget which. Kind of a disconnect from the internet. The buyers likely have a selection of bars. It was in a spot to impress people with light weight. Have to deal in that cc class to not think heavy.

A 500i with a 20" bar?? Seems short for that saw.

1429542accf18d1b4af34dc1e40c09e7.jpg

500i & 461 with a 20” are my most used combos. Also have a 25”, 28” light, and 32” that come out when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope to get mine tomorrow. I went with a 25" lite bar. A 25" will do 99% of what I cut.

I watched a YouTube review by the Morgans last night. Theirs had a regular 25" bar. Though they never mentioned it, the saw kept tipping to the tip as they were showing it off at a table. Pretty good sign that the saw is really light.

Ron

Surprised that ACE carries pro series saws. The one near me only has homeowner/farm saws.

I have two ACE stores near by, the one right down the street has a separate building with the Stihl equipment, they offer everything. The other has a small display, no full time tech, and not alway much in stock.

I have two ACE stores near by, the one right down the street has a separate with the Stihl equipment, they offer everything. The other has a small display, no full time tech, and not alway much in stock.

Ace hardwares in my area are hit or miss. One significantly downsized their stihl section and usually doesn’t have anything bigger than a 391. I recently found another ace that’s stocked to the gills with everything, makes the John Deere dealer I’ve been buying from look like a joke. Picked up 2 es light bars there, they had every variety in stock.

I hope to get mine tomorrow. I went with a 25" lite bar. A 25" will do 99% of what I cut.

I watched a YouTube review by the Morgans last night. Theirs had a regular 25" bar. Though they never mentioned it, the saw kept tipping to the tip as they were showing it off at a table. Pretty good sign that the saw is really light.

Ron

Mine came with a regular 25” es, and yes it was slightly nose heavy with it.

Picked up a 20” & 28” (based on Andy’s recommendation) ES lights for it. It’s really light with the 20 and perfectly balanced with the 28 like he said.

I’ll probably give the 25” away to one of my buddies.

A 500i with a 20" bar?? Seems short for that saw.

As usual I should look at the big picture first... A 20" bar will fill the need for users depending on their cutting style and wood species. I guess different dealers are ordering the 500i with what bar is best for their customers.

At first I thought they were all coming with a 28" light bar, but that seems to be not the case.

Im gonna wait for the movie to come out.. but they look cool. IMO an 80cc with a 20”bar doesn't do the thing justice.. a 25” is a minimum and probably better suited to a 28”or similar. But hey, I'm sure it’ll rock that too.

As usual I should look at the big picture first... A 20" bar will fill the need for users depending on their cutting style and wood species. I guess different dealers are ordering the 500i with what bar is best for their customers.

At first I thought they were all coming with a 28" light bar, but that seems to be not the case.

Around these parts most saws in the 70 cc class come with a 28” bar. It suits most users larger needs I suppose. When I looked at our local saw shop, they had a demo (not for sale) 500 with a 28” light bar on it. At the time, they had no idea when they would be getting any 500is in to sell. I asked if they would come with a light weight bar and what price. I was told $1300 and something and no that only included a standard bar. Light weight would be an up charge. I asked what the point was in bragging about all of this power to weight and then not selling them with the light bar? It seemed silly to me. I haven’t been back in to see if they got any saws in to sell yet.

Around these parts most saws in the 70 cc class come with a 28” bar. It suits most users larger needs I suppose. When I looked at our local saw shop, they had a demo (not for sale) 500 with a 28” light bar on it. At the time, they had no idea when they would be getting any 500is in to sell. I asked if they would come with a light weight bar and what price. I was told $1300 and something and no that only included a standard bar. Light weight would be an up charge. I asked what the point was in bragging about all of this power to weight and then not selling them with the light bar? It seemed silly to me. I haven’t been back in to see if they got any saws in to sell yet

Around these parts most saws in the 70 cc class come with a 28” bar. It suits most users larger needs I suppose. When I looked at our local saw shop, they had a demo (not for sale) 500 with a 28” light bar on it. At the time, they had no idea when they would be getting any 500is in to sell. I asked if they would come with a light weight bar and what price. I was told $1300 and something and no that only included a standard bar. Light weight would be an up charge. I asked what the point was in bragging about all of this power to weight and then not selling them with the light bar? It seemed silly to me. I haven’t been back in to see if they got any saws in to sell yet

You're dealer just want's to make as much as he can. $1,359 with a 28" light bar is what i paid.

I agree. That’s business. It never hurts to ask. I will be trying to squeeze whatever deal out of them that I can. Is your saw the wrap handle version?

Back