Stihl club

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats better Stihl or Husky?

• Stihl

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Husky

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My 028WB and ms441 are the only Stihls I have ever owned and they are both great saws.

I just started using the 028 and it realy impresses me for it's age and displacement. It is a strong little saw.

I use the 441 almost everyday and that saw just flat out rips. Everyone that uses it for the first time is impressed.

Got all kinds but Stihl rules the roost. They see the most run time.
025,026,028wb,028super, two 029supers,038super,084. Like everything about them that's why I got um and keep buying them when I find a good deal.:chainsaw:

stihl 009 great for limbing- 056 for the big stuff- mac 3516 for everything inbetween for now.untill i can afford the stihl i want for the inbetween stuff

All Stihl. Period. My old buddy Richard once told me, "If you get a chainsaw, make sure it says 'Stihl' on it, and you'll be fine." He has used an 031 for 25 years, cutting about 8 cords a year. I just sold him an 026 with 165 psi, and he is now in the solid state age. Happy as can be. One year warranty on the saw.

660 mag After my 1st 1 that was smashed I had a hard time living without. Makes cutting big stuff so much faster.
044 DP Not 1 thing bad to say about it. Handles fantastic for me and pulls the 20" very,very well. My most used saw.
034 I ran an 034 super exclusively about 10 years and sold it since I bought a new Husky 55 + my first 066 mag. I was very sorry especially when I smashed the 066. I was all of a sudden chainsaw poor without a reliable saw with adequate power for my work. That gave me the enthusiasm to buy the fixer upper saws to get my saw line up back to working order and sell a few on the side. The 034 may vibrate a bit more then some but not terrible. I used to think the air filter was a pain until I bought the 55 and had real problems. Now I gladly clean my stihl air filters as they need it through the day. After all they are very easy to service and it takes little time if kept up. The 034 takes up little space in the toolbox and will perform very well with 20" 3/8. I like it for back up to the 044. The 044's air filter is better for long days so its my primary go to saw.
026 ported Had it a few months but I only run it a little more then a few hours. Feels smoother then my previous 026 or the 034. Nice light smaller saw and handles A+++, but I use bigger most the time.
I have an 019 and 191t but hardly use them enough to comment.
Have several saws as project fixer uppers. I'll mention some favorite stihls I've used here and there. I have a fondness for the 048 and the 042 for that matter. They just eat wood well with the little extra weight and torque they feel great bucking things up. An well maintained 041 AV isn't very far behind in smaller logs. The 045 and 056's are nice and it looked to me that the original 045 may have been more reliable, but I rather run the 048 unless the power of the 056mag was needed. If you don't need a bunch of power the 031 and 032's were nice saws in their day and still nice if you don't need better. I haven't enough hours to say how well I like the 361. I do have 1 to get going 1 of these days.

Have a 051 with 32 inch bar and 404 chain. No problems at all except that it cuts so fast that the swarf can't get out of it fast enough so it clogs up sometimes. I guess I could cut back on the amount of cutters on the chain but when people see it cut they are just amazed. I did have to change the clutch once cause the old clutchs had bi-metal or asbestose liners that fall off after 30 or 40 years the new ones are all steel.

034 with 18 inch bar 3/8 chain. Lots of balls.

038 with 20 inch bar 3/8 chain. no problem till lent out and then I had to replace the clutch bell cause the guy said he tightened the chain but the bell just stripped out (Ya that happens all the time I am sure)

Also have a 066 weed eater loads of power but had to clean the gas tank once.

And I do own a Pulan pro 20 inch bar with iddy biddy chain. 3 years old no problems but takes a special nut driver to adjust the low and high needles.
Use this saw for limbing and streching out with one arm to cut cause it is so light. Has about 1/5 the power of a 034 they say it is a 42 cc motor but I think it is more a 30 cc power wise anyway.

My 028WB and ms441 are the only Stihls I have ever owned and they are both great saws.

I just started using the 028 and it realy impresses me for it's age and displacement. It is a strong little saw.

I use the 441 almost everyday and that saw just flat out rips. Everyone that uses it for the first time is impressed.

Maybe we're twins separated at birth? Upstate NY, 028 Wood Boss, and a 441 (440 in my case). I grew up north of Utica, btw.

I have had 2 Stihls personally, and cut with a bunch of Other peoples as well

I had an 038AV that is gone now, and It was awesome but a tad heavy, I now have a 280 which so far seems to be a peppy little saw, but more plastic the I would like to see.

I have used:
036 Pro- Great saw no complaints
026 - Nice smaller saw
and the best saw I ever got my hands on was a Fire Departments MS460R

I really like my 046, it is one of few saws I have kept. ms 191t is kind of a funky cool saw. I have had 036's, 360's good saws. We have 6, 441's is our logging operation (shop saws) but my favorite is a 031AV, it is heavy metal, but it runs good, good on fuel and oil, has a nice sound for stock muffler, but best of all it was free.

All Stihl. Period. My old buddy Richard once told me, "If you get a chainsaw, make sure it says 'Stihl' on it, and you'll be fine." He has used an 031 for 25 years, cutting about 8 cords a year. I just sold him an 026 with 165 psi, and he is now in the solid state age. Happy as can be. One year warranty on the saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Great pics john....

Is that bigger than 12" wood? I read a thread earlier that said if he is cutting anything bigger than 6-8" he should be opting for the 359 or 361 ;)

Anyone know where you can get a small mount stihl 10" bar? I've concluded thats about the best length bar i'll need for it.

I have a 25+ year old 041 that runs like a top. Only thing I don't like about it is the lack of AV. I took care of this problem by purchasing a new 260 last winter. And yes, some how my 260 does just fine cutting hardwood up to the length of the bar (16"). It also is no dog stock as it came to me turning a little more than 14,000 RPM. I love this saw.

Great pics john....

Is that bigger than 12" wood? I read a thread earlier that said if he is cutting anything bigger than 6-8" he should be opting for the 359 or 361 ;)

Anyone know where you can get a small mount stihl 10" bar? I've concluded thats about the best length bar i'll need for it.

:cheers:

280, great all around firewood saw
031 - needs a recoil
040 - just needs a tuneup, almost too nice to take out in the woods.

Great pics john....

Good grief, my brother cuts 18 inch spruce with an old 024 all the time (true, it wore out early after only 20 years or so, but you have to expect that sort of thing when you push them a bit).

I cut 8 cords a year of 4-12 inch with an MS270. You don't need a 361 unless is 20 9nches plugs consistently, and you are cutting for a living.

Franky, when I am on the log pile, I cut two and three at a time if they line up, and thats 18 inches or better (if I only cut half of one, I finish it up when I have the other two dropped out of the way)

If I run into more than the 18 inch bar on the MS270 can cut, I go to the other side. As long as its less than 20% of the time, no issue.

You need to use your noggin, not what someone says or you read. Worlds full of all sorts of nonsense you need to sort through. If it has a 20 inch bar, you can cut 20 inch wood!

Good grief, my brother cuts 18 inch spruce with an old 024 all the time (true, it wore out early after only 20 years or so, but you have to expect that sort of thing when you push them a bit).

I cut 8 cords a year of 4-12 inch with an MS270. You don't need a 361 unless is 20 9nches plugs consistently, and you are cutting for a living.

Franky, when I am on the log pile, I cut two and three at a time if they line up, and thats 18 inches or better (if I only cut half of one, I finish it up when I have the other two dropped out of the way)

If I run into more than the 18 inch bar on the MS270 can cut, I go to the other side. As long as its less than 20% of the time, no issue.

You need to use your noggin, not what someone says or you read. Worlds full of all sorts of nonsense you need to sort through. If it has a 20 inch bar, you can cut 20 inch wood!
I agree with you on some things but because it has a 20 inch bar don't mean it will go through a 20 inch log. You can put a 20 inch on a woodshark but it ain't gonna pull it through no big wood.

20" Wood

Quote from smokerr : You need to use your noggin, not what someone says or you read. Worlds full of all sorts of nonsense you need to sort through. If it has a 20 inch bar, you can cut 20 inch wood! Quote

I believe what he is saying is : if the saw comes with a recommendation of using different bar lenghts eg: 16" 18" and 20" it should cut 20" wood.

Nosmo

Great pics john....

Yeah I think it is 18-20" wood. I put a 16" bar on it, and tuned it with a tach and he likes the power just fine.

I think Power Pruner® bars are about right on that, Brad........ I bet Bailey's has an adaptor.......:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back