Stihl Dealer full throttle on my new MS 391?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I haven't read all the post. Have I seen it done all the time yes. Ever seen a failure no. What could happen is piston scoring. The piston expands at a faster rate than the cylinder. Also the piston expands slower at the thicker top half than the thinner skirts. If the saw is at room temp you may not ever see a problem. If your saw in 20° air temp then I would think damage might happen.

Sorry I haven't read all the post. Have I seen it done all the time yes. Ever seen a failure no. What could happen is piston scoring. The piston expands at a faster rate than the cylinder. Also the piston expands slower at the thicker top half than the thinner skirts. If the saw is at room temp you may not ever see a problem. If your saw in 20° air temp then I would think damage might happen.
That is cold seizure and is almost unheard of in chainsaws and trimmers, they simply don't have the engine mass to cause that type of failure

Pistons would have to fit better, it is a Stihl not the space shuttle.

No matter what magic dance and lucky bald eagle eggs a person wants to apply to their brand new chainsaw, it is a two speed, idle and WOT everything else is playing with it in the corner.

This topic comes up every now and again, oddly not much OPs coming back to post about the crank winging apart and pistons shattering.

Guido that is totally different to what is done here or in Germany. Stihl pays us to do the assembly and the demo. How can your service manager be double dipping? You guys have cheap OEM parts but from what I am reading piss poor business practices.

Good reply! I was going to respond myself, but Guido is one of the few members on this forum who has me on ignore. I know he runs some kind of business, but wasn't exactly sure what he was saying in regards to his service manager charging a fee to service a saw that was purchased from them.

Sounds like he needs to pull his head out of his butt and get things right. I've NEVER heard of any Stihl dealer charging to prep (service) a saw that was just purchased from them. How crazy is that? :dumb:

I can't speak for @Guido Salvage buti think I understand what he is saying because it's a standard practice in larger dealers that pay flat rate and salesman on commission.... Every employee has to account for their hours and each department is expected to be self sufficient. Salesman #1 sells the saw, he passes it off to tech #1 for initial setup and firing. Salesman gets credit for selling it based on his employee # generating the sales receipt but if the tech doesn't log any time on it he is short changed in the system as well as the whole service departments billable hours going down so the tech bills his time so his department and he personally gets credit for the time spent, salesman doesn't like that on a low end/low margin sale because it cuts into commission drastically and also hurts his departments overall profit. there is no charge to the customer it's just behind the scenes accounting gimics. Hopefully that all makes sense.

I could be wrong but this is the exact scenario we used at the car dealer i worked at and very similar scenario to what some friends of mine deal with at the dealers they work for

Completely true. It's basically a 2 stroke with mild performance. It's tuned to run off idle and wide open. I usually let my personal saw warm up a few sec then start making cuts. A saw carver and mills are the only ones that really push a saw that I see.

I can't speak for @Guido Salvage buti think I understand what he is saying because it's a standard practice in larger dealers that pay flat rate and salesman on commission.... Every employee has to account for their hours and each department is expected to be self sufficient. Salesman #1 sells the saw, he passes it off to tech #1 for initial setup and firing. Salesman gets credit for selling it based on his employee # generating the sales receipt but if the tech doesn't log any time on it he is short changed in the system as well as the whole service departments billable hours going down so the tech bills his time so his department and he personally gets credit for the time spent, salesman doesn't like that on a low end/low margin sale because it cuts into commission drastically and also hurts his departments overall profit. there is no charge to the customer it's just behind the scenes accounting gimics. Hopefully that all makes sense.

I could be wrong but this is the exact scenario we used at the car dealer i worked at and very similar scenario to what some friends of mine deal with at the dealers they work for

I've never heard such a thing. If you got charged call Stihl because There's something seriously wrong there and Not a standard practice.
I have to confess I now know why I felt butt hurt when I left the new car dealership. Everyone and their cousin hit my ass.

I've never heard such a thing. If you got charged call Stihl because There's something seriously wrong there and Not a standard practice.
I have to confess I now know why I felt butt hurt when I left the new car dealership. Everyone and their cousin hit my ass.
Customer isn't/wasn't charged.... It's an accounting gimic for internal expenses

I recently bought a ms 362 cm and the dealer fired it up and before that in my head I'm like please don't Rev the **** out of it plz and to my surprise he let it idle for 10+ seconds and did a couple revs under half throttle and told me no WOT till break in is over, but a couple weeks later I'm went over to my neighbors house to show him the new saw and he fires it up and guess what he does as soon as it starts he revs the he'll of it and it pissed me off like you wouldn't belive if the saw was hot a little different story but still grinds my gears :angry::dumb2:

What and how you explained it helps a lot. That does make sense, in the sense that the customer doesn't pay anything extra to have his brand-new saw prepped for use.

I can understand how it would be an "accounting thing".

I purchased a new MS 391 today from one of the local Stihl dealers. The salesman said he had to put oil and gas in it and go over the starting procedure with me....standard with every sale he says. As soon as it starts he brings it right to WOT and holds it there for probably 10-15 seconds. I was thinking why the heck are you doing that to a brand new cold engine. When he came off the throttle I said something but it didn't register with him and he lowered the saw and went right back up to WOT for another 5 seconds to see that the chain was throwing oil on the ground, then shuts it off.

Maybe this is perfectly fine and is what all the dealers do when they sell a new chainsaw. I know the owners manual says not to go WOT without a load on the saw for the first few tanks because of the break-in period. I'm one of those guys that follows the manufactures break-in recommendations, so I wasn't to pleased with how the start procedure demo went.

I'm probably stressing over it way too much, but just wondering if his going WOT the way he did will reduce performance or longevity of the saw?
I would return this saw to the dealer & ask the owner/manager to change it for one that has not been subjected to this practice It may not have any problems but it's not good practice & in my opinion the sales man needs to be "advised" on his procedures I find the best way to check oiling is to let the saw idle for 30/50 secs & then a 3sec or so "blip" on the throttle will fling oil off the tip if all is fine in the oiling dept Just my take on this, others may differ.

I purchased a new MS 391 today from one of the local Stihl dealers. The salesman said he had to put oil and gas in it and go over the starting procedure with me....standard with every sale he says. As soon as it starts he brings it right to WOT and holds it there for probably 10-15 seconds. I was thinking why the heck are you doing that to a brand new cold engine. When he came off the throttle I said something but it didn't register with him and he lowered the saw and went right back up to WOT for another 5 seconds to see that the chain was throwing oil on the ground, then shuts it off.

Maybe this is perfectly fine and is what all the dealers do when they sell a new chainsaw. I know the owners manual says not to go WOT without a load on the saw for the first few tanks because of the break-in period. I'm one of those guys that follows the manufactures break-in recommendations, so I wasn't to pleased with how the start procedure demo went.

I'm probably stressing over it way too much, but just wondering if his going WOT the way he did will reduce performance or longevity of the saw?

I would not worry about this at all. As far as I know both stihl and husky saws are pre-run at the factory and you have a warrantee with a new saw. I have no problem taking a saw out of the side box at -15F, firing it up, blip the throttle twice and putting it to the boards in a log. Been doing it for years and it does not seem to bother saws in the least and I am not running ms391(s). I don’t idle them down either. We do warm up and idle down the 4 stroke diesels but they tell me now the best way to warm up a 4 stroke gasser is to drive it.

If some folks want to take an out of the box saw and hold her wide open with no load right off the bat, have at it. $3-400 is not "throw away" anything where I come from and I try to treat my purchases in a manner that will cause them to last as long as possible. To each their own I guess. But I've seen saw with trashed pistons and jugs from Igor holding it wide open and leaning the crap out of it so his tach will read 14,236 rpm when his buddies will only show 13,954. Why?

Whenough I bought my echo new they said they had to do the first fire up ok no problem I did say do t rev the piss out of it cold cause they are to lean as is. And also let them know that it will oil at idle. So no need to run the piss out of it cold.
I did tell them if I hear the saw rev like crazy I'm walking away and buying a different saw for a different location. It was the slow season for saw sales so they listen to me so they could make a sale

Wouldn't worry one second about a few short burst at wot. I personally do it different but still nothing serious to worry about.

Further perception about the time of real WOT and fellt time can be quite different.

Wouldn't worry one second about a few short burst at wot. I personally do it different but still nothing serious to worry about.

Further perception about the time of real WOT and fellt time can be quite different.

It's like when you first drop your baby off at a daycare for the first time....

come to think of it when i bought my 044 in 95. the tech let it run for 20 30 seconds. then cut into a log, and went full speed checking the rpm . when it started to 4 stroke he stopped and gave it to me.

Latest posts

Back