Stihl Dealer full throttle on my new MS 391?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel it is defiantly lack of proper training. I can not comment on the US but in Germany and Canada the training is from Stihl, and it is very specific. Only a trained tech is allowed to fire up a saw, a saw is never adjusted in front of the customer. We go through the correct starting procedure where the fuel goes where the oil goes, how to adjust the chain tension. When a saw shipment comes in I build all the saws and place them in the stock room. Once it is sold I will take the saw and instruct the customer on how to start the saw, they watch me fill it with either 50:1 mix, or motomix then B&C oil. Then I fire up the saw. Adjustments are rare and are pretty much spot on in most cases. IF we do need to adjust a saw it is taken to my bench and done straight away while the customer enjoys a coffee and relaxes. This is the process I used in Germany and this is the process I use here now. Training is the key. The same gents that do the training for my city do it for the whole country that way it is the same across the board. IF a dealer does not follow the rules they lose the dealership. If a dealer cuts corners they lose the dealership.

So? That doesn't explain why 10,000 rpm is worse than 3,000.
There are no oil lines/pumps, oil flowing, water cooling, etc....
How is revving a new saw going to damage it?
Just asking for a decent, meaningful response......

Throwing out a few technical sounding words doesn't explain much.....

My dealer did this with the MS-362 to check for oil, and I guess listen to the tune, but only for a few seconds.

He just handed me the 441C off the shelf, no fuel or anything in it, guess he figured it was already tuned, lol.

But I agree, I've never went to full load or full throttle after startup on anything I've had. Everything gets a little warmup period, and the saws cut a couple branches and such before getting sunk into logs.

While it may not seize, there are different temperature dynamics inside the engine during this time, which changes tolerances and I'd suspect stress factors.

For a four stroke, also letting the oil get to where it needs to be seems a good idea, and I've always let them idle a bit before working them.

Would have to consider that there was possibly no oil anywhere in the engine on its first startup, so things are getting run dry till enough mix burns to lubricate it. However, would guess they'd have already been fired up at the factory, and there would be residual oil from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it may not seize, there are different temperature dynamics inside the engine during this time, which changes tolerances and I'd suspect stress factors.

Well, different big words, but yes, there are temp changes when you start a chainsaw.

But still, what damage would be done? And why?

So? That doesn't explain why 10,000 rpm is worse than 3,000.
There are no oil lines/pumps, oil flowing, water cooling, etc....
How is revving a new saw going to damage it?
Just asking for a decent, meaningful response......

Throwing out a few technical sounding words doesn't explain much.....
Anything that has rotating parts and heat expansion I let warm up. Parts expand at different rates. I guarantee the piston grows in size much faster than the cylinder does. More rpm equals more stress period. It's what I do and feel it's healthy for the machine.

If my saw is outside and it's cold (-15*) I let it warm up 15-20 secs at maybe 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, otherwise no.

A car isn't designed to run at WOT, a saw is.

How about Gen sets? As soon as soon as thet fire, they go to rated speed. I've never heard of a Gen set blowing apart from it. Don't think it's great for ut, but that's just me.
The big Gen set we have (powered by a 220 Cummins. Around 740 cu in) we usually stick a heater to if it's really cold.

Well, different big words, but yes, there are temp changes when you start a chainsaw.

But still, what damage would be done? And why?

HT it has to do with the exomorphic metal expansion rate along with the exothermal ratio of 3.1514 at 45% relative humidity with a baseline of 20 C or 68 F. :eek: But really it is just common sense. Perhaps that 1 time it does no damage but what if Homer Homemaker thinks this is the right procedure and does it each time he starts his saw from cold. the cumulative effects might be the issue here.

HT it has to do with the exomorphic metal expansion rate along with the exothermal ratio of 3.1514 at 45% relative humidity with a baseline of 20 C or 68 F. :eek: But really it is just common sense. Perhaps that 1 time it does no damage but what if Homer Homemaker thinks this is the right procedure and does it each time he starts his saw from cold. the cumulative effects might be the issue here.
Thanks for the Fahrenheit reading, I never liked that Commie Celsius ****!!!!
What side of the road do you all drive on????

If my saw is outside and it's cold (-15*) I let it warm up 15-20 secs at maybe 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, otherwise no.

A car isn't designed to run at WOT, a saw is.

How about Gen sets? As soon as soon as thet fire, they go to rated speed.
Thanks for the Fahrenheit reading, I never liked that Commie Celsius ****!!!!
What side of the road do you all drive on????

I drive on the right, and commie? How so your medical and military use the metric system as well. :D

Back