the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
They're like a condom with an electric unrolling feature. Sure they work, and they probably give stihl heads a buzz, but why?

Best design ever! The oil cap on the 200T is pure genius. I especially appreciate it when they go “snap”and you need to shut down work to go and get a new one. At only $9 bucks each, what a bargain! Leave it to Stihl to try and improve on the simplest of machines “the screw”. Irony indeed.

Allright Mr Murph....:)

here's some personal experience :

- they won't seat with a slight overfill. Overfilling is easy, especially with oil and low visibility. This causes a waist of time in each case.

- any system that can give you a false feeling of security should not be allowed on a power tool. They can seem to hold untill they fall out sometimes, so they are not belgian proof... I've spilled an oil and fuel tank already on my pants once, so I am very carefull now with these things. I don't feel comfortable with fuel on my clothes..

- they are little plastic things that look not very sturdy, and I know they are being replaced.

I think the safety issue is a stretch too far for me.

Hmmmm are your referring to condoms or fuel caps Shorty,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Best design ever! The oil cap on the 200T is pure genius. I especially appreciate it when they go “snap”and you need to shut down work to go and get a new one. At only $9 bucks each, what a bargain! Leave it to Stihl to try and improve on the simplest of machines “the screw”. Irony indeed.

:agree2:

I have NEVER broken a Stihl "screw in" cap...or had one fall out...or leak...why the need to change what worked???

Have I ever had a flippy cap pop out when I didn't fit it in right? Yep!!!

Have I ever been in a tree, rope lowered the saw for a Groundie to fill the oil and gas, haul it back up...only to have the oil cap pop out when I started it? Yep!!! :mad:

If I could retrofit the screw-in caps on our 200Ts, I would...

Bounty Hunter

On overall balance I don't like them....usually I manage them fine and they are convenient when all is well, no looking for the combi spanner...but then comes the time where one gets turned, doesn't seat properly, you're working hard and don't notice, gas on your legs, oil on your feet...with the screw in cap there was no real need to double check...its in, its in...no flippy up, out , up, down, second checking....

The most annoying time was when the 200t got sent back up, the oil cap popped out and I got oil all over my shoe and the branch I was working on...NOT fun! Also, gas up near your whoohoos STINGS!

...and over here a new flippy cap is $17!!!

If they had done the flippy caps where they fit OVER a slightly protruding neck on the tank instead of INTO a tank hole/dirt funnel, they would have gotten it right.

I like them better than the old caps, and told the poll that, but Lazy's sentiments echo mine perfectly. If you're going to do the German engineering redesign thing, why not do it as smartly as possible?

Lazy rep coming. :clap:

Just say no to cam lock, taper lock, half cocked, flippy lock, flip n flush fill caps.

I might as well go ahead and admit it.

I am too dumb to use the flip cap. I have had a boot full of fuel mix, and a boot covered with bar oil out of the 211 on two different occasions.

Also go a dose of fuel mix off the trimmer.

The darn things will turn and flip down, but not be sealed. Yeah, I know I am too dumb.

I will surely get flamed for this, but I intended to buy the 362. But it has flip caps, so no go for me. Stihl can do without my business, and I can do without the flip caps.

I have been using screw in caps since 1986, so cut an old man some slack.::hmm3grin2orange:

I like them much better than the little caps I got on my new Dolmar.

i like the old style screw caps better,lot easier to clean sawdust and dirt away from cap before opening ,less chance of crud getting into tanks:clap:

Latest posts

Back