Think I need a second saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shindaiwas (small and large) put out a lot less power than advertised, according to KWF dyno tests......:jawdrop:

The Shinnys also lost a lot of points in all other accounts, like handling, AV, air filtration, quality feel etc - they just are very inferior saws, when compared to the better pro saws.

BLAH BLAH BLAH....come up with something new. Thanks for your constructive criticism Niko.;)

Hi

try cutting logs that have been dragged through grit filled dirt or covered on the side of the track in the same stuff by a friendly person widening a track with a grader. You'll be sharpening at least once a log minimum. If you're cutting real dirty wood or just wood that had to be dragged about before it could be cut then you learn to appreciate the shorter bars when you reach for the file for the umpteenth time...

If I'm cutting clean wood then I can often get by all day without having to reach for a file at all with the stihl chains, oregon and Co. need maybe a light filing in the same conditions.

I just always go for the shortest bar that will get the job done.

Bye
there in lies the difference, i buck them as they fall most of the time.. even on skidded logs, a good semi chisel helps a bunch.. I would also run skip before the little bars, I hate to have to bend over that much..

''Their name products aren't in the mix with the big boys,'' tell that to the landscapers around here. I don't see many of them pulling around Husky trimmers on there trailors. You'll see the new guys with there shining orange and white trimmers but the guys with 20 or so years of weed beating in mostly have very old looking Shindiawas.

If I was a logger I would definately buy Stihl. I Rode Rt 220 from Pa. down to N. Carolina and the only other OPE I saw the whole way down was an old Homelite dealer. But for cutting fire wood save your money on the saw and buy a nicer wood burner with the savings.

fi your cutn quite a bit off wood in the 30inch range id swing for 28" bar. the bar is just alittle longer than ghte 25 but will be closer to makn a single pas through most 30" wood ehrn buckn you could over buck alittle and kick the round off when the cuts done all from one side of the log.

buck 30" wood with alittle under powerd saw with 18-20" bar (361 026) then switch to a 70cc running 28 and youl buck the hole round faster than the samll saw makes cut on one side of the round.

the 044-440 even 460 isnt much heavier than the 361

buck with just 70cc get two bars for it a 28 and 20 and youl do most all your buckn very fast and probly save your back becauses youl be takn breaks haven a beer between trees because your buckn them so dang fast.

''Their name products aren't in the mix with the big boys,'' tell that to the landscapers around here. I don't see many of them pulling around Husky trimmers on there trailors. You'll see the new guys with there shining orange and white trimmers but the guys with 20 or so years of weed beating in mostly have very old looking Shindiawas.
If I was a logger I would definately buy Stihl. I Rode Rt 220 from Pa. down to N. Carolina and the only other OPE I saw the whole way down was an old Homelite dealer. But for cutting fire wood save your money on the saw and buy a nicer wood burner with the savings.

Pros run Stihl, echo, and husky trimmers here, never seen a Shinny. After getting a 100RX myself I can see why they sell so good.

I am not a professional. I own 8 acres of hardwoods and own a Stihl MS250. The saw runs well and seems pretty light but it cuts SLLLOOOWWW. I have been using green chains from Stihl(for 2 years) and just bought 2 yellow RSC chains. I am hoping that will speed things up considerably, but I have alot of cutting to do. I have perhaps a dozen 30+ inch logs to cut into firewood. My guess is they will produce a dozen cords and I have more down throughout my lot. I am thinking I need a larger saw. Cutting through each of these logs 1 time can take 10 minutes. They are maple, hickory and oak. The hickory is really slow. I have my eye on a very clean Shindaiwa 757 on ebay. It is alot of saw. I really am having difficulty justifying a MS361 at 675 bucks after tax. SO here is my question? Should I buy another saw and if so which one? Should I just sell the 250 and get a 260? Will the 250 with a non safety chain be all I need to save my back? I sawed several hours nonstop last weekend bent over and have been in serious pain all week, that is what has drawn me to a bigger faster cutting saw. I will probably live on this 8 acres the rest of my life, although after 3 or 4 more years I may have it relatively clean. I love the site and look forward to hearing the answer.
Almost forgot, the dealer I use does Toro mowers(I have a ZTR), Stihl, and Shindaiwa. That is why the Shinny caught my eye. I know this is blasphemy but my dealer actually told me he preferred the Shindaiwa saws to the Stihls, but he said he rarely sells a Shinny saw. He said he has to SELL Shindaiwa saws and Stihl trimmers, while people BUY Shindaiwa trimmers and Stihl saws.

Keith

Mahindra 2516
Toro Z500
Stihl MS250
Stihl BR320
I have a small firewood business that I set up when I retired. I think I average about 440 cords per year. I run my 372 probably 90% of the time and I absolutely love it. It's the best all around saw I have ever had. May not be the lightest, most powerful or whatever, but it is the best saw I have run, period. Make your next saw at least 75cc and what ever brand you choose you won't be sorry.:chainsaw:

60 cc saw with a 20" bar will do fine with a 30" tree. My 036 has done it tons of times. Yep, gotta cut from both sides of the trunk, no big deal [I'm not talking about production cutting, just serious firewood]. I have added a 441 to the family and use it for those trees as of a few months ago, but I just got it for fun and for an additional saw in case the other one is down.

Nothing wrong with getting a 70 cc 'cuz you want to. Don't need it for only a few trees like that. [Didn't stop me from gettin' the 441....]

i like 70-75cc saws so much id by four of them before i ever buy anything bigger. realy isnt any need to go bigger than that

60 cc saw with a 20" bar will do fine with a 30" tree. My 036 has done it tons of times. Yep, gotta cut from both sides of the trunk, no big deal [I'm not talking about production cutting, just serious firewood]. I have added a 441 to the family and use it for those trees as of a few months ago, but I just got it for fun and for an additional saw in case the other one is down.

Nothing wrong with getting a 70 cc 'cuz you want to. Don't need it for only a few trees like that. [Didn't stop me from gettin' the 441....]

I cut up a 36" dead and dried Red Oak with my Poulan 2300 CVA [38cc]with 18" bar. did the job just fine. Would I do it again yes if I had to. took me about 3 months to burn the whole tree in my leaky stove in my drafty house. Years later I got the occasion to use my FIL's Poulan 3300 [55cc]with 20" bar much faster for a simular job still took most of a week to get the winters wood cut split and hauled,after work of course. I got tired of wood cutting taking so long and did need a back up saw as my Backup saw died. So I bought A Stihl 441 29" bar [71cc] because I wanted a significant step up in power. Now a simular red oak will be cut up in a few of tanks of fuel and be ready for the splitter by noon or so, assuming that I get to the woods by 9am. I still have and occasionally use the 2300 CVA, mainly for clearing fence rows and like work. 3300 is the back up saw, a real good work horse. I Fell, buck,and limb with the 441 as it is that much faster than the other 2 saws.
wallet not considered, the smallest saw I would purchase if you are really concerned wth getting out of the woods with a load of wood in a short time is approx 60cc considering the work you are doing. I am not sorry I bought My stihl. I have a good dealer who is close for any parts or service I want or need. This is just as important as which saw you purchase, as a broken saw won't do your job. make sure you are happy with purchase and dealer whatever brand you choose!!!

I've batted that one around my head many times and still have no conclusion:

All things being equal: Longer bar should have each cutter doing less work for each log, and last longer between filings, but take longer to file. Figuring out time for grabbing the files and doing it, the longer bar should be a slight time savings.

But are all things equal? Does dirty wood tend to dull cutters at some rate porportional to total cutting time rather than cutter engagement time? :dizzy:

Hi,

it only takes a fraction of a second to completely dull a chain on a 24" bar if there is gravel in the dirt for example and still less than a few seconds if the log is just dirty. Happens faster than you would believe. A single cut can be enough to completely dull the chain. The time it takes to sharpen all the teeth is much longer for a 24" compared to a 18" or shorter. The amount of wood each tooth cuts is a distant second as a wear factor if you have to cut dirty wood. Remember that with clean wood you can cut all day regardless of the bar length and that chains compensate wear up to a point (because of the softer steel underneath the chrome) which means the difference in tooth wear is too small to be of any relevance. Using semi chisel chains helps, using chains with extra thick chrome helps too as does using carbide chains. Of those three choices two are pretty expensive...

I use bars from 13" to 24" and I can garantee that I have never noticed a time saving (because of reduced wear and slower sharpening) on the long bars. I only use the long bar for felling big trees or for ripping logs if I can't split them. Other reasons for short bars are: faster sharpening, more maneouverable, safer when limbing hardwoods (easier to know where the tip is - kickback!), kickback is easier to control, less bar oil needed (expensive here), faster bar maintenance.

As for long bars they have advantages but also disadvantages too: useless and dangerous for limbing hardwoods (lose sight of the tip, you risk kickback), bar and chain take longer to maintain, needs far more bar oil (did I mention that it's expensive here?), feels like wielding a telegraph pole when limbing softwoods, I find kickback harder to control.

In general I find shorter bars are safer and generally more practical, if you can't drop a 30" tree with a 16" bar then you are lacking some important skills/knowledge and should maybe brush up a little on some basic techniques. If you can but just can't be bothered then that is just fine.

Bye

Last edited:
I am not a professional. I own 8 acres of hardwoods and own a Stihl MS250. The saw runs well and seems pretty light but it cuts SLLLOOOWWW. I have been using green chains from Stihl(for 2 years) and just bought 2 yellow RSC chains. I am hoping that will speed things up considerably, but I have alot of cutting to do. I have perhaps a dozen 30+ inch logs to cut into firewood. My guess is they will produce a dozen cords and I have more down throughout my lot. I am thinking I need a larger saw. Cutting through each of these logs 1 time can take 10 minutes. They are maple, hickory and oak. The hickory is really slow. I have my eye on a very clean Shindaiwa 757 on ebay. It is alot of saw. I really am having difficulty justifying a MS361 at 675 bucks after tax. SO here is my question? Should I buy another saw and if so which one? Should I just sell the 250 and get a 260? Will the 250 with a non safety chain be all I need to save my back? I sawed several hours nonstop last weekend bent over and have been in serious pain all week, that is what has drawn me to a bigger faster cutting saw. I will probably live on this 8 acres the rest of my life, although after 3 or 4 more years I may have it relatively clean. I love the site and look forward to hearing the answer.
Almost forgot, the dealer I use does Toro mowers(I have a ZTR), Stihl, and Shindaiwa. That is why the Shinny caught my eye. I know this is blasphemy but my dealer actually told me he preferred the Shindaiwa saws to the Stihls, but he said he rarely sells a Shinny saw. He said he has to SELL Shindaiwa saws and Stihl trimmers, while people BUY Shindaiwa trimmers and Stihl saws.

Keith

Mahindra 2516
Toro Z500
Stihl MS250
Stihl BR320

Even a 250 shouldn't take 10 minutes for 1 cut, is the muffler screen still in, if it's clogged you'll have no power. Maybe the high jet is way rich or way lean, if it revs really high with no load turn the high out untill it slows down a little, if it doesn't rev very high (Check the muffler screen first) turn the high in untill it really screams then back out untill it slows down a little. A assume your using a sharp chain and keeping it out of the dirt, a dull chain won't cut no matter how much power you have. There's nothing wrong with buying a bigger saw either, but even my gutless MS170 wouldn't take anywhere near 10 minutes for 1 cut with the bar buried . Steve

I know this is blasphemy but my dealer actually told me he preferred the Shindaiwa saws to the Stihls, but he said he rarely sells a Shinny saw.

Not blasphemy, but a good attempt to clear some shindawa equipment that's collecting dust on the shelf. LOL

That's funny! I thought I needed a second saw back in March (2 1/2 months ago), which is what brought me here. Last week saw number 4 arrived via UPS. It's not a slippery slope, it's a cliff! And there are plenty around here willing to "help" you over the edge. :buttkick:

No Regrets!!!!

That's funny! I thought I needed a second saw back in March (2 1/2 months ago), which is what brought me here. Last week saw number 4 arrived via UPS. It's not a slippery slope, it's a cliff! And there are plenty around here willing to "help" you over the edge. :buttkick:

No Regrets!!!!

So, when is the 441 arriving?!?

So, when is the 441 arriving?!?

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be awhile. I've been on a tear lately. Saws aren't the only things I've been buying. Had to get a new backpack blower and kombi w/edger and trimmer attachments. Besides, shouldn't the 441 be safe in 2010. I went ahead and picked up a nice little 026 for now. I figure the Jred 820 will handle anything big in the unlikely event that I run accross anything that sized in the near future. I'm pretty sure I will get something in the 441 to 460 range within the next year. I would kind of like to see a 461. That would be sweet!!!

Back