Total Newbie in need of some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RED-85-Z51 said:
190995_lg.jpg

150.00, 18" bar, 40cc.

Beats the heck out of a Newer Homelite.

Not really. The last two I tossed in the dumpster I think the Homelite landed on top,,
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ryan.s said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm really glad I found this site, a lot of good info was provided by you guys. I definitely helps with the selection process. I have a feeling I'm gonna get sucked into the whole chainsaw buying hobby, hope not! That could be very dangerous for me. Anyhow I think I've narrowed it down for now mostly based on price. What do you guys think of the following selections?

Husqvarna 142 - Amazon/Ebay has it for $219 with 3 chains (same seller on both) Is there somewhere that has it for less?
Echo CS-346 - Ebay has it for about $200 + or -
Echo CS-306

Thanks!
The 306 is just to underpowered, the 346 is a pretty good runner and is not in production anymore,don't know anything about the 142. I would go with the 346.
Mark

I can see where this is going. Ryan is going to start out small, and visit this site and ask more questions. In a few months he will be asking for a larger saw that makes a lot of noise and can cut anything in its path. Anyway, welcome Ryan.

I would highly encourage you to find a local dealer that you like and spend a little more for the saw of you're choice. Being a newbie, having someone that will explain it's operation to you and to be able to go back to with questions is imeaseraboe costwise!!! Then if there is any warantee work on top of that, it's priceless!!!! YES, a lot of dealers suck!!! But if you find a good one, it is well worth the extra money!!! (And no, I don't care what brand you buy!!! I have heard great things about the Echos, I just don't like the way they feel like a toy)
Andy

THALL10326 said:
Not really. The last two I tossed in the dumpster I think the Homelite landed on top,,
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I only paid 35 dollars for it new, in the case, with the sealed bag with the little oil bottle, scrench, and spare Chain.

Literally, an older person bought it, and could never get it started, so he offered it to me for 35 bucks.

I like it, for what it is.

RED-85-Z51 said:
190995_lg.jpg

150.00, 18" bar, 40cc.

Beats the heck out of a Newer Homelite.

And a WICKED color scheme as well!:hmm3grin2orange:

Four Paws said:

I think that Tim Allen signature bar is still for sale, now that would be TIGHT!!!! The only one on the block witha wildthing signed by Tim Allen!!:greenchainsaw:
Andy

Four Paws said:

Meh, I run Shindaiwa B&C oil through it...

You are the Shin guy, do dealers sell Shindaiwa Oil? or just some Generic stuff?

Ryan, there are plenty of good saws out there in a multitude of price ranges and capabilities - homeowner/pro. I will tell you that everyone has their favorites, everyone has said dealer support is a big part of the decision what brand to buy, how it feels in your hand is a big part of the decision what brand you buy. I work on my own saws for fun! All I need a dealer for is replacement parts, and pretty much anyone can order stuff...and as long as they don't rip you off is all that matters. I will tell you myself and MANY others are very impressed with the 5100S Dolmar. It is silky SMOOTH and well balanced with 18 inches of bar, and feels great in my hands...$200 is a great budget when shopping for a used saw...a $200 saw will only disappoint you if you buy new! $400 and you will have a beast of a saw, built 4-5 times better than the $200 machine and will outlast you with proper maintenance!

Okay a change in plans. After doing a bit more research it looks like I could probably pick up an echo CS-440 for a little more than the CS-346 (oh no it's happening already). For some reason I like the top handle design better, no idea why but it just seems more solid. Again keep in mind I have absolutely no experience with chainsaws but that's just my perception. I guess I've made my choice. Just need to wait for reasonable price.

Do most of guys upgrade the bar and chain? Seems like the stuff from oregon is popular or is there really no need for a new chainsaw?

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from the top handle!!! You are about to get SSOOOOOO lectured!!!!!! Top handle+novice+lots of stitches!!!!!!

RED-85-Z51 said:
I only paid 35 dollars for it new, in the case, with the sealed bag with the little oil bottle, scrench, and spare Chain.

Literally, an older person bought it, and could never get it started, so he offered it to me for 35 bucks.

I like it, for what it is.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww I'm just messing with ya. For 35.00 and it runs, cool beans..

sawinredneck said:
NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from the top handle!!! You are about to get SSOOOOOO lectured!!!!!! Top handle+novice+lots of stitches!!!!!!

Yup yup yup, top handles for a first saw are a NO NO NO. Good post Andy..

AAAYYYYYAAAYYYYYYYAAAA!!!!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!! Due to the handles being so close to each other, you lack proper leverage, and face a higher rate of kickback. Because youre hands are so close together, if the saw starts to come at you, you lack the leverage to stop it, and get stiches aross you're arm or face!!!
Andy

I must just be one lucky guy *knocks on wood* but Ive never ever had a saw kickback on me.

When I used the old top handle, I always used it with my left arm out straight, and I never leaned over the saw.

I can see if you were weak, or dove straight into a peice of wood, or even had your arm bent, it coupld potentially kickback...

Homelite XL is considered a tophandle right?

RED-85-Z51 said:
Homelite XL is considered a tophandle right?

If that is the saw I am thinking of (not sure, for sure) it had two throttles you could use, one at the front for trimming, one at the back for bucking, right? The top position is a top handle, the back is regular, now imagine cutting with only the front throttle all the time! Kinda get the picture?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
If that is the saw I am thinking of (not sure, for sure) it had two throttles you could use, one at the front for trimming, one at the back for bucking, right? The top position is a top handle, the back is regular, now imagine cutting with only the front throttle all the time! Kinda get the picture?
Andy

Just a Trigger in the middle of the top handle.

Has a Bar that wraps from the top handle to the bottom, and a Handle from the top front, to the top back.

Niftly little saw, Ive got many many hours on it..Heck, I was chopping firewood with it when I was only 12 years old.:chainsaw:

I am looking at a Husky 350 with a 16" bar for brush piles and limbs
The poulan I have is frustrating in so many ways.

It seems to me that the 350 is a lot more saw than the lower priced huskys for not a lot more money. It is also still pretty light, at just over 10 pounds

I have the 570, and I am pretty sure that it is as much as I need for what I will be doing on larger stuff. It is right on the fence between pro saw and consumer, it seems, but 16 pounds, and a 24" bar almost 5hp.

I looked into Stihl and Husky, and I really like *****.com for husky.
I also think Baileys seems like a pretty good supplier.
Not too many helpful dealers locally, Im afraid.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back