Total Newbie in need of some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a 2050, and Im working on it.
I posted a message a while ago about the problems I have with it, and need to take it apart, I guess.
Basically, it has low power and is really slow.
It takes about a million pulls to start
and then it dies after running for 10 minutes.
It also leaks bar oil all over the place.
It also doesn't really have some safety features I'd appreciate when working on brush piles and downed trees.

For my .02 cents worth, look at the ms180 as a saw for the smaller work. It has a narrower chain than the bigger saws, so it cuts faster than you might think. I have had mine for a few years and have had NO problems with it. Love how light it feels!!!! Get a big saw, a not so big saw, medium saw, smaller medium saw, medium small saw, small saw. You have to have the right tool for the job you know:;) ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The more the merrier

musch said:
Its a 2050, and Im working on it.
I posted a message a while ago about the problems I have with it, and need to take it apart, I guess.
Basically, it has low power and is really slow.
It takes about a million pulls to start
and then it dies after running for 10 minutes.
It also leaks bar oil all over the place.
It also doesn't really have some safety features I'd appreciate when working on brush piles and downed trees.

Is it like this one?

Have you checked all the fuel line?
is the compression low?

If the carb is too rich or lean, it will run low on power. If it is too lean, it will be hard to start, overheat, and shut off after a few minutes of use, been there.

My new one leaks oil all over the place..in fact, most evey poulan Ive seen leaked bar oil..

Id turn the high end needle out 1/2 turn, and see how it does.

That is not the saw I was thinking of Red, not familier with that one.
Musch:
The Husky 350 is an unbeatable saw for the money, no doubt!! Another $50 or so and you get the better 353, maybe worth it, maybe not? I know that when/if my 350 dies that will be it's replacement. But I have yet to find a way to kill a 350!!! Or, for that matter, much that it wont do with an 18" bar, awsome saws for the money!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
That is not the saw I was thinking of Red, not familier with that one.
Musch:
The Husky 350 is an unbeatable saw for the money, no doubt!! Another $50 or so and you get the better 353, maybe worth it, maybe not? I know that when/if my 350 dies that will be it's replacement. But I have yet to find a way to kill a 350!!! Or, for that matter, much that it wont do with an 18" bar, awsome saws for the money!!!
Andy

sawinredneck, here is the XL I have.

That most definatly falls under the top handle saw!! Now using that, then going to a rear handled saw, do you understand the difference in the fulcrum point? Now, without guidance, and never running a saw before, and throw in the fact that it is very easy and tempting to one hand these saws, do you see how a newbie could get hurt real quick like?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
That most definatly falls under the top handle saw!! Now using that, then going to a rear handled saw, do you understand the difference in the fulcrum point? Now, without guidance, and never running a saw before, and throw in the fact that it is very easy and tempting to one hand these saws, do you see how a newbie could get hurt real quick like?
Andy

I admit to one handing the saw, on more than one occasion. it is quite light.

Also, what I would do is if I was cuting something big, I would keep my left arm rigid, and push down, and lift up with my right arm, then push down, then back up, allowing the saw to pivot in my left hand.

The old XL is full of surprises. Running a 16" bar, I cut a 75 year old Pine tree in half. It fell after a Hurricane, and I went out the morning after with the XL, and cut from the top, as deep as it could go IN, and about half way down. Then I went to the other side, and cut down from the top just a little, so the bar wouldnt pinch. Then I undercut that side as far as I could, then went to the other side and undercut it, and after about 15 minutes of cutting, it broke in half. Went through a tank of gas, Ill tell you that. I was going to start limbing it, and it ran out..:dizzy:

Red, thanks A LOT. I will try your suggestions, because I am close to tearing the thing apart (literally),
The last time I used it, the pull cord came off the spool, and locked up on the spindle, and now the cord (after being re-wrapped) is hanging there.

But I am not just willing to throw money away.

sawinredneck - thanks regarding the Husky,
My problem is exactly what you mentioned, for $50, you keep stepping up a notch, from $200 to $1200. Its knowing where to stop. :dizzy:

It seems that the balance of size/weight/power/price is right about where I want to be, and it is reassuring to hear that you like it.
I LOVE the 570, cuts like a hot knife through butter.

I think the husky stihl argument is like ford vs dodge or Browning vs Remington etc. people have their favorites, and loyalties, and we all love the toys that have brought us pleasure and quality.

Mush I know what you are saying as to where to stop!!! the $50 coment is a saw that might last 10 years verses 4? thats all!! And no, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever!!!! Started out with the 350 and made a lot of money cutting firewood with it!!! Wanted something bigger, bought the Stihl ms390, thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! Bought a Stihl ms192t, great little saw for the money!!!! Then my world came crashing down!!!! I got the deal of the century, a Husky 262xp at a yard sale for $100!!! Well, already had the 390, didn't need it, but for the money!!! But I was dead broke at the time!!!! Bought it anyway!! Same class as the 390, but will cut circles around it all day long!!! Sold the 390 and am looking for my "big boy saw" now LOL!!!! I just know it's out there!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
am looking for my "big boy saw" now LOL!!!! I just know it's out there!!! Andy

If you are talking about the 3120XP, I have seen a few go on eBay pretty cheap lately...in the $650 range with a nice bar on them!

Sawinredneck -
I am looking at the specs for the 350 vs. the 353, (on the husky website)and all I can see is this

350 - 3.2hp 353 3.3hp
353 has a quick release air filter cover - 350 doesnt.

353 weighs about .4 lb more.

so what am I missing? cause I am not opposed to dropping an extra $50 if its worth it. what do you think?

Basicly the 353 has better bearings, and a better engine case, hence the weight difference. It is built off of the 346xp chassis if I rember right, it is an xp saw without the xp badging. Again, if you use the pee out of it, it is worth it, if not, stay with the 350!
Andy

Four Paws said:
If you are talking about the 3120XP, I have seen a few go on eBay pretty cheap lately...in the $650 range with a nice bar on them!

Yeah, I WANT the power of the 3120, don't want the weight, and NEED niether:hmm3grin2orange: No, I am looking 460-660 385-395 class, something to pull a 32" easily, I think I have a line on one, just need to work out the details?
Andy

sold!

Thanks, now I have one more thing to consider!:laugh:

I also see that the 353 is magnesium.

But it would probably be the saw I primarily use. Hmmmm.

Thanks for all the input.

Heres a wrench in the gears.
I dont see Jonsered mentioned here too much. Anybody know why?

musch said:
sold!

Thanks, now I have one more thing to consider!:laugh:

I also see that the 353 is magnesium.

But it would probably be the saw I primarily use. Hmmmm.

Thanks for all the input.

Heres a wrench in the gears.
I dont see Jonsered mentioned here too much. Anybody know why?

I think it is that they really didnt keep up with what everyone else was doing..but we rarely see any J-reds down here, ever.

Like Tanaka, they made a fine saw..but now they make a line of small saws..nothing heavy Duty anymore..:angry:

Same saw as the Husky, guys that like J-Red love them, it's just an availability factor mainly.
Andy

Jonesered makes the same saws as Husky. Only better.:popcorn: Any how, distribution of the saws is odd and demand for a more expensive Husky is low.:buttkick: The line up now ends in the 85cc range so if you are looking for 85cc for $1000.00 dollars they have a very fast, smooth , straight handled saw for you. It is nice and I am looking forward to buying some used ones soon.

Justsaws said:
Jonesered makes the same saws as Husky. Only better.:popcorn: Any how, distribution of the saws is odd and demand for a more expensive Husky is low.:buttkick: The line up now ends in the 85cc range so if you are looking for 85cc for $1000.00 dollars they have a very fast, smooth , straight handled saw for you. It is nice and I am looking forward to buying some used ones soon.

SEE.......... Didn't take long for that!! LOL!!!!
Andy

Yeah I thought I would throw that out there for fun. I will run/buy anything. Brand specific I am not. Current saws being used are a couple of Poulan Pro versions of the 25CVA. Mainly because I like to pull a starter rope 6-9 times fast. I own more Macs than anything else. More Stihls than Husky/Jonsered. Mostly because of what I can find.

musch said:
Sawinredneck -
I am looking at the specs for the 350 vs. the 353, (on the husky website)and all I can see is this

350 - 3.2hp 353 3.3hp
353 has a quick release air filter cover - 350 doesnt.

353 weighs about .4 lb more.

so what am I missing? cause I am not opposed to dropping an extra $50 if its worth it. what do you think?
The 353 has a magnesium crank-case, the 350 plastic.

The 353 is a pro quality saw, the same saw as the 346xp except for the engine, and built to last longer than the 350.

Back