Total Newbie in need of some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan.s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As you can see from my post count I'm a total newbie and have never owned a chainsaw. A little about me, one of my hobbies is woodworking/construction and own pretty much every WW tool out there. I want to purchase my first chain saw and wanted to get some recommendations. I believe in buying quality tools that will last without breaking the bank. I haven't set a budget yet but was curious if the $200 range is reasonable.

From the little research I've done so far it seems that stihl is the brand to go with.

Planned uses are general DIY stuff around the house such as trimming trees, and rough cutting logs for WW. I don't expect to be cutting any large trees.

I'm planning to make a visit to my local stihl dealer in the next couple of days to check out what is available.

Some questions I have are - Is it worth getting the lowest end model of a stihl chainsaw (are they just as good as the higher end models for what I need to do)? What sort of prices should I expect? Should I look for an alternative brand of chainsaw (what are some other brands that have a good reputation)? How do the echo saw's compare? Is the bar length the determining factor in the size of log you can cut.. for example if the bar length is 14 inches is it not possible to cut a 20 inch log or is there a safe way around it?

Any general recommendations would be appreciated. Specific recommendations of models/brands that I should look into would be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

Stihl MS180 or MS210 would probably suit you.

It's in the price range, and pretty reliable little workers.

There'll be many opinions and encouragement to go up in price and size etc but honestly, have a look at your needs and address them not your ego. ;)

I have 5 chainsaws all varying sizes and all for different uses, and how do pro's think, lightest saw with enough power to do the job comfortably. So I'm not going to walk around a paddock felling 8" DBH pines with a 66, I'll probably use a MS250 etc.

Ryan.s said:
As you can see from my post count I'm a total newbie and have never owned a chainsaw. A little about me, one of my hobbies is woodworking/construction and own pretty much every WW tool out there. I want to purchase my first chain saw and wanted to get some recommendations. I believe in buying quality tools that will last without breaking the bank. I haven't set a budget yet but was curious if the $200 range is reasonable.

From the little research I've done so far it seems that stihl is the brand to go with.

Planned uses are general DIY stuff around the house such as trimming trees, and rough cutting logs for WW. I don't expect to be cutting any large trees.

I'm planning to make a visit to my local stihl dealer in the next couple of days to check out what is available.

Some questions I have are - Is it worth getting the lowest end model of a stihl chainsaw (are they just as good as the higher end models for what I need to do)? What sort of prices should I expect? Should I look for an alternative brand of chainsaw (what are some other brands that have a good reputation)? How do the echo saw's compare? Is the bar length the determining factor in the size of log you can cut.. for example if the bar length is 14 inches is it not possible to cut a 20 inch log or is there a safe way around it?

Any general recommendations would be appreciated. Specific recommendations of models/brands that I should look into would be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome.
You should be able to cut a 20" tree with a 14" bar with no problem (if it has a sharp chain).
$200.00 is on the low end but you should be able to find one.
As far as brand goes, look at my signature, all have been very good saws for me.

Ryan.s said:
... I haven't set a budget yet but was curious if the $200 range is reasonable. ...
Some questions I have are - Is it worth getting the lowest end model of a stihl chainsaw (are they just as good as the higher end models for what I need to do)? What sort of prices should I expect? Should I look for an alternative brand of chainsaw (what are some other brands that have a good reputation)? ...

No - No - Yes :laugh:

Imo the only $200 saw worth considering at all, is the Husky 142 (or preferably the recently discontinued 141 if you can find one- more power output). The Stihls in that price range simply has too little power for anything but light trimming/limbing.

For rough cutting logs, you really need a larger saw, depending on how large the logs are of course.
If they are not too large, I suggest that you take a closer look at saws in the 50 cc class, and if you leave out Stihl, you should still be able to stay under $400 (Dolmar PS-5100, Husky 353) - less if you focus on the Dolmar 510 or Husky 350, which are not pro saws, but still good saws with decent power. If you are not going to carry the saw a lot, even the Husky 455 Rancher is an option to consider (it is really too heavy for its power, but for stationary use that doesn't matter much).

Imo the least costly Stihl worth having is the MS260, and the basic version of that one is about $450, I believe.

Last edited:
I had a Stihl 180, That saw surprised me for what I paid for it. I am partial to Stihl, but have owned Husky too. That 180 I had replaced a 137, and by far out cut it.

Taking that with a grain of salt, you arent going to be able to do allot with $200. If budget is you only constraint, Try to find a Dolmar dealer, or you can buy Husky from Baileys, just click their tab at the top of your screen.

1st saw

I recommend the Husky 350.It's light has 3.2 HP.It's not a pro saw,but the way you speak you don't need one.It also will cut firewood nicely if you find that you will go that root in the future.Husky also carries a 2 year warranty,which is more than Stihl.
Just get your gas mixture right,and always shake the gas can real good before you fill the saw.You won't believe how many people don't do that.
Ed

I am not a pro, but here is my take. Get a small good quality saw. I don't have experience with the MS-180, but suspect as recommended by others you wouldn't go wrong. Personally I would get a Echo CS-346. They are VERY light, durable, easy starting, and reliable. I have fallen and cut for firewood, many trees in the 20"-24" range with this saw and it did a great job. Not terribly fast, but that is not a problem for me. It is great for trimming trees, rough carpentry, landscaping timbers, you name it.

The small saw will give you good experience with handling the saw safely. If you have virtually every woodworking tool, then I believe that once you get a chainsaw and get started, you WILL want another. You can go bigger then and will have some idea how much bigger you would like, but you will always want to keep the little guy. Just my 2 cents worth.

meh, Ill throw my 2 cents in here...

Echo saws are very nice saws. They seem to be more user friendly over the Stihls...but thats just me.

I think they pull a little easier, run quieter, and are very torquey.

Also, there was a thread about some Makita Saws being sold USED at Home Depots. They were very nice, and were being sold for something like $205 with a new chain. These were larger saws, maybe someone can chime in on if they are still doing this, and on the quality on the saws.

Are the craftsman brand saw's even worth taking a look at? I remember they had a few on clearance at my local sears. Looked like returns.

Ryan.s said:
Are the craftsman brand saw's even worth taking a look at? I remember they had a few on clearance at my local sears. Looked like returns.

No.

Craftsman are just marked up Poulans, as far as I know.

I personally like Poulans for light duty work, I have a Wild Thing for little stuff, and it works well. When it stops working, Ill fix it if it is an oiler or fuel line, otherwise, Ill toss it.

I use it for taking up large bushes, rough cutting stacks of 4X4's or 2X4"s, plywood...etc.

I think the Makita might be a bit much for what he needs.
Welcome to AS Ryan!!!
I am a huge fan of the husky 350, but I gather that an 18" bar is more than you really need?
I would suggest staying away from the craftsman saws, they can be bought cheap, but parts availability stinks and they are ususally the weak versions of the Poulan line, I know there are a couple of them that are supposed to be good saws, but what are the model numbers? What are the odds of finding one?
If you really need to stay on the cheap, been there myself, look at the Stihl ms170/180, dealers around here have been selling them for $150-180 for the ms170. Then go look at the Husky's at Lowes, Attwoods etc.. But for the money I think you are hard pressed to beat the ms170 price, I damn near bought one "just because!!" I have run one, not the best saw on the market, but beats the heck out of a Walmart special Poulan!!
Andy

190995_lg.jpg

150.00, 18" bar, 40cc.

Beats the heck out of a Newer Homelite.

Ryan.s said:
I believe in buying quality tools that will last without breaking the bank. I haven't set a budget yet but was curious if the $200 range is reasonable.

In the time that I've been here at AS, lots of guys have come here with the same question that you're asking. $200 seems to be a popular price point for a first chainsaw. At $200 your options are somewhat limited, but there are still good saws out there at that price.

You may want to consider a good-condition used saw, as you can get a LOT more saw for that price if you're willing to take something with some scratches and dings and use under its belt. By way of example, I picked up a used Stihl 026 Pro (= MS260pro in the current model line-up) from Allan.K (a member here) for $225 shipped to my door a while back and it has been a flawless performer. You should be able to pick up a used Stihl models like the MS250, 024, 025 and 026 in good condition for $150-250. If you know what you're looking at, this might be a good plan. If you're new to saws and 2-cycle engines, it might not be.

Ryan.s said:

Stihl, Husqvarna (and therefore Jonsered, same guts/different color), Echo, and Dolmar (and therefore Makita, also same guts/different color) are the only four makes I'd consider.

Ryan.s said:

When I read this, I see a 50cc saw as about the maximum that your uses can justify. Even a sub-40cc saw should be able to get the job done and will fit better in your price range.

Ryan.s said:

Look at the MS170 and MS180. Odds are that the 210/230/250 will be out of your price range. Save yourself some money and some hassle (when it inevitably breaks) and do NOT buy the Easy2Start models. I ran CaseyForrest's 180 back before he sold it and was favorably impressed.

Ryan.s said:
Some questions I have are - Is it worth getting the lowest end model of a stihl chainsaw (are they just as good as the higher end models for what I need to do)?

Just as good...in absolute terms, probably not. They're entry level saws with plastic bodies (instead of magnesium), non-adjustable oilers, etc. Worth buying? Depends on what your'e going to ask of them - for your intended purpose, they're perfectly fine. Like so many things in life, it is a matter of matching the tool to the job. Questions like how often the saw will be used, how it will be used, what you'll be cutting, how long you want it to last, etc., are the questions that will guide you to the right choice of saw.

Ryan.s said:
What sort of prices should I expect?

MS180 should be about $200 and the MS170 should run about $170.

Ryan.s said:
Should I look for an alternative brand of chainsaw (what are some other brands that have a good reputation)?

See my earlier remark above.

Ryan.s said:
How do the echo saw's compare?

Great saws, durable as heck and more tolerant of neglect than anything I've ever owned. I love 'em. Look at the CS346, it would be a great saw for your purposes as I understand them. You can score one for about $180 on eBay, new-in-box.

Ryan.s said:
Is the bar length the determining factor in the size of log you can cut.. for example if the bar length is 14 inches is it not possible to cut a 20 inch log or is there a safe way around it?
Yes, assuming that the engine is powerful enough for the bar it is being asked to pull. As a general rule, you should be able to fell a tree nearly 2x the length of the bar. For cutting downed timber, 2x is no big deal - just cut from both sides of the log!

Ryan.s said:

Avoid cheap-o saws from Sears, big-box stores, etc. Some of 'em work (even really well, occasionally), many of 'em don't, but most importantly NOBODY STOCKS PARTS FOR THEM!!! Try finding a part for your HomeDepot Poulan or your Craftsman at 4pm on a Saturday when you're in the middle of finishing a job. It ain't gonna happen. Stihl or Husqvarna, rarely a problem. Dolmar and Echo, depends on what kind of dealer you have nearby.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track, stick with Stihl or Husky and you can't go wrong. I have a problem when it comes to buying tools like chainsaws: for 200 you get x, for 30.00 more you get y, and so on. You have to stop somewhere or you will end up with a 120cc saw. I was buying a pole saw and talked the shop about fixing my old Husky 44. Parts were going to be around 150.00, they could sell me a new one for around 200.00. After giving it some thought, I decided to get a new one, an hour later, 400.00+ later, I left with a 346xp.

I would consider addding a little bit to your budget to get a slightly bigger saw since you are only getting one. Then if you use it alot and if you hang out on this site, you can buy a smaller one, a bigger one, an even bigger one, etc. Leave this site now before you catch the fever.

Jim

RED-85-Z51 said:
190995_lg.jpg

150.00, 18" bar, 40cc.

Beats the heck out of a Newer Homelite.
:bang: :bang:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe you are right, but I would certainly not recommend that one!

The Husky 141 and 142 are assambled by Poulan, but the quality is much better anyway.

SawTroll said:
:bang: :bang:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe you are right, but I would certainly not recommend that one!

The Husky 141 and 142 are assambled by Poulan, but the quality is much better anyway.

I know I bought a Homelite Timberman, 20" bar, something like 50cc's...big heavy saw.

It pulled hard, was awkward to use, and after only 1 hour of usage it wouldnt idle.

I looked for a leak around the carb, using propane and found nothing. I rebuilt the carb, checked the mounts, no tears or rips. I could adjust it, and it would idle, rev it up and it would lean pop and run far too fast, then go back to idle, and it would die.

So I finally comitted to take it apart. I finally got it down to the block and found that all the case screws were coming out. so I took the head off to make sure the mating surface was clean, and when I did, the piston was cooked. Brown, scarred, ring was scratched, cylinder showed it too.

So I popped out the primer bulb, removed the clutch, bar and chain, as well as the throttle linkages. Saved all the Allen Head coarse thread screws, and tossed the whole thing.

Such a contrast to my old 1978 Homelite XL, that just keeps on pluggin along. The carb is so worn that when you go to idle, it closes off the intake, so it doesnt idle, but it cuts and runs like new. Cylinder is still polished looking, and Ican see no blems on the piston. If I can ever find a decent replacement carb, it will come out of retirement, and go back into active duty.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm really glad I found this site, a lot of good info was provided by you guys. I definitely helps with the selection process. I have a feeling I'm gonna get sucked into the whole chainsaw buying hobby, hope not! That could be very dangerous for me. Anyhow I think I've narrowed it down for now mostly based on price. What do you guys think of the following selections?

Husqvarna 142 - Amazon/Ebay has it for $219 with 3 chains (same seller on both) Is there somewhere that has it for less?
Echo CS-346 - Ebay has it for about $200 + or -
Echo CS-306

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think that any of your choices would be good for starters. If you go with the echo, go for the 346. It has a little more power than the 306 and if you watch for a little while, you will definately find one under $200 on ebay. I got my last one for under $150. My guess would be that if you end up with one of those, you'll like it. As for the getting hooked on chainsaws thing, the prognosis is bleak. It's probably already too late for you.

Good sawing.

Back