Total Newbie in need of some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justsaws said:
Jonesered makes the same saws as Husky. ..
:D No, jonsered doesn't make any saws at all - Husqvarna makes the saws for them (except the two cheapest ones - those are made by Poulan)

Echo saws

Just be warned that Echo saws are pretty low on power, that is why they doesn't publish the numbers.......:mad:

If you go the Echo route, but at least one size larger than you think you need.

SawTroll said:
:D No, jonsered doesn't make any saws at all - Husqvarna makes the saws for them (except the two cheapest ones - those are made by Poulan)
Whoops, getting a spanking. Thought I might sneak that by. Got to watch the semantics, punctuation! phrasing, and speling like a hawk.:D

SawTroll said:

Ouch Ouch Ouch.
Thats like saying John Deere doesn't make there mid size tractors because it has a yanmar engine in it. Guess who got the engineering award ?
JOHN DEERE did.
Jonsered uses the best of Husky and then enginneers there own Saw.
Jonny red has a sale going on Check em out.

manual said:
Ouch Ouch Ouch.
Thats like saying John Deere doesn't make there mid size tractors because it has a yanmar engine in it. Guess who got the engineering award ?
JOHN DEERE did.
Jonsered uses the best of Husky and then enginneers there own Saw.
Jonny red has a sale going on Check em out.

Those Yanmars are pretty sweet, and so are the JD's they sit in.

manual said:
... Jonsered uses the best of Husky and then enginneers there own Saw ....
:hmm3grin2orange: Say what you want, but the Jonsered saws are made at the Husqvarna factory, and there is no Jonsered staff that are free to pick what they want.
Some Husky saws never appears in Jred dress, and others are delayed some years, as the Jred versions of the 346xp (2147) and the 357xp (2156).

Until recently E-lux ruled, by now Husky has taken over that role.

SawTroll said:
:hmm3grin2orange: Say what you want, but the Jonsered saws are made at the Husqvarna factory, and there is no Jonsered staff that are free to pick what they want.
Some Husky saws never appears in Jred dress, and others are delayed some years, as the Jred versions of the 346xp (2147) and the 357xp (2156).

Until recently E-lux ruled, by now Husky has taken over that role.

and that would be the best of husky's line. don't forget the 372xp (2171)

Seems like this thread got a bit off tanget. :D Anyhow I just wanted to give you guys an update. I was set on the echo cs440 but took a trip to my local dealer to check out the stihls. They had the 170 for $200 so decided to pass on it. I stopped by home depot to see first hand the different echo saws. I decided that instead of the cs440 I really like the size and weight of the cs346 since I may do some tree climbing with the saw. Came home and purchased one off of ebay for $167 plus $19 shipping. I know it's not the best price but I figured it's better than the $269 plus tax HD was asking for.

I read on another thread where a guy said to take out the muffler, remove the catalyist and reinstall the muffler. I tried to find other threads on this mod but didn't see anythings specific to the echo 346. Tried to track down some additional info off of google but didn't find anything either. Do you know what this mod would do? I'm assuming it will add power? Just how much power and is it worth it? How hard is it to do and can anyone direct me to some more info on it.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations!

Now that I've purchased my first chainsaw in the 30cc range, I guess I should start looking for a saw in the 50cc range? Doesn't it go something like 30-50-70?

Ryan, Welcome! When I went to purchase my first saw I spent time at probably 10 dealers and independant saw shops asking questions and looking at their stock. I found a used Husqvarna 61 for $250 + 2 new chains. I'm a wood worker like you and I wanted to produce my own lumber, it's a smaller than what most people use for milling, but suits me fine to support my needs.

Well, after deciding to buy a husky 353, I decided to stop at a local Stihl dealer, just to shoot the bull with the guys there and have a look at the competition.

Long story short, I walked out with an MS 260.

I liked the idea of a local dealer that I can go to with issues, they carry all parts, have been in business for ages, and were super nice.
They had a saw to test, and prepped the new saw for me.

I have NO doubts about the decision, after all is said and done.

I could probably gotten a Husky online for a LITTLE less money, but I walked out with a fine saw, and I must say, comparing the different models to each other was very instructive. I also was able to feel the saws and get a good idea of the weight, balance, etc.

So, now I am on BOTH sides of the fence. This site is feeding a newfound addiction, I'm afraid:greenchainsaw:

You should be downright SCARED!!!!!!!
As long as you are happy with you're choice, thats all that matters:rock: Nothing wrong with a 260! I preffer the Huskies of that size, but that's just me, and I have a great dealer that carries three brands, so it's a moot point!!
Congrats and enjoy!!
Andy

Ryan,
As for removing the catalyst from the muffler, I did this to mine before I ever used it. Not a good way to test, I know, but I just couldn't leave it in there. If memory serves me (which it often doesn't :bang: ). I removed the muffler and the honeycomb type catalyst material is in the inlet side of the muffler. I used a sharp chisel to cut straight in, all the way around the opening and removed most of the material in one piece with needle nosed pliers. A small wood chisel that you don't mind resharpening might work well. Be careful not to leave any loose pieces in there. I'm sure that if they got into the exhaust port, it wouldn't be pretty.

I did this because as I understand it the catalyst generates a great deal of extra heat and it obviously restricts exhaust flow. There may be others here who can shed some light on a better method. Just sharing what worked for me. What did I gain? I'm not sure in real quantifiable terms, but it sure made me feel better.:laugh:

GitWood said:
Ryan,
As for removing the catalyst from the muffler, I did this to mine before I ever used it. Not a good way to test, I know, but I just couldn't leave it in there. If memory serves me (which it often doesn't :bang: ). I removed the muffler and the honeycomb type catalyst material is in the inlet side of the muffler. I used a sharp chisel to cut straight in, all the way around the opening and removed most of the material in one piece with needle nosed pliers. A small wood chisel that you don't mind resharpening might work well. Be careful not to leave any loose pieces in there. I'm sure that if they got into the exhaust port, it wouldn't be pretty.

I did this because as I understand it the catalyst generates a great deal of extra heat and it obviously restricts exhaust flow. There may be others here who can shed some light on a better method. Just sharing what worked for me. What did I gain? I'm not sure in real quantifiable terms, but it sure made me feel better.:laugh:

Thanks for the tip gitwood. I guess this a a common thing that everyone does? Has anyone else done this?

Ryan.s said:
Seems like this thread got a bit off tanget.

Now that I've purchased my first chainsaw in the 30cc range, I guess I should start looking for a saw in the 50cc range? Doesn't it go something like 30-50-70?

Sorry about that...:laugh:

WELL, the 50cc issue is actually the tangent that we got on.
As far as quality goes, I narrowed it down to Husky 353 vs. Stihl MS 260
Both excellent pro-quality for mid size trees, plenty of power, small and light for manuverability and handling firewood or brush.

you can go to over 90 cc too if you want to! :cool:

Ryan.s said:
Seems like this thread got a bit off tanget. :D Anyhow I just wanted to give you guys an update. I was set on the echo cs440 but took a trip to my local dealer to check out the stihls. They had the 170 for $200 so decided to pass on it. I stopped by home depot to see first hand the different echo saws. I decided that instead of the cs440 I really like the size and weight of the cs346 since I may do some tree climbing with the saw. Came home and purchased one off of ebay for $167 plus $19 shipping. I know it's not the best price but I figured it's better than the $269 plus tax HD was asking for.

I read on another thread where a guy said to take out the muffler, remove the catalyist and reinstall the muffler. I tried to find other threads on this mod but didn't see anythings specific to the echo 346. Tried to track down some additional info off of google but didn't find anything either. Do you know what this mod would do? I'm assuming it will add power? Just how much power and is it worth it? How hard is it to do and can anyone direct me to some more info on it.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations!

You Have the addiction. About the muffler on the 346, Pull the plastic cover off, then unscrew the outlet cover on the muffler. Then remove the screen mesh, reassemble without the screen. About a five minute job. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN any screws on the saw, they can strip very easy.
Mark

musch said:
Sorry about that...:laugh:

WELL, the 50cc issue is actually the tangent that we got on.
As far as quality goes, I narrowed it down to Husky 353 vs. Stihl MS 260
Both excellent pro-quality for mid size trees, plenty of power, small and light for manuverability and handling firewood or brush.

you can go to over 90 cc too if you want to! :cool:

90cc? ... speechless... do these saws have similar motors to 2 stroke dirtbikes? I'm just trying to fathom the type of power you would get out of a 90cc 2-cycle saw.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between the MS 260 and 260 Pro? The spec sheet shows the same specs for both.

You Have the addiction. About the muffler on the 346, Pull the plastic cover off, then unscrew the outlet cover on the muffler. Then remove the screen mesh, reassemble without the screen. About a five minute job. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN any screws on the saw, they can strip very easy.
Mark

I'm afraid you're right. It's not like I don't have enough addictions as it is.. On the mod for the 346, what power gains will I see, will it be noticeable? Will it be a lot louder? What other mods could I do?
:hmm3grin2orange:

Ryan.s said:
90cc? ... speechless... do these saws have similar motors to 2 stroke dirtbikes? I'm just trying to fathom the type of power you would get out of a 90cc 2-cycle saw.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between the MS 260 and 260 Pro? The spec sheet shows the same specs for both.

I'm afraid you're right. It's not like I don't have enough addictions as it is.. On the mod for the 346, what power gains will I see, will it be noticeable? Will it be a lot louder? What other mods could I do?
:hmm3grin2orange:

Ive got an 85cc Brushcutter...

Hoffco Whizz Witch.
85cc Tecumseh 2 Stroke
10" Brush Blade

It's virtually unusable. Too heavy and cumbersome to be effective, engine is huge, and gets very hot next to you.
Runs though...

Icant imagine having a 90+ CC chainsaw, it would have to weight 25lbs or better

Ryan.s said:

90cc is nothing. 120, 137cc, that's a saw! :clap:

Seriously, though, a the increase is really not that phenomenal until you get into cylinder port work, alternative fuels, expansion chambers. Fun stuff like that! But an big saw with a 20" bar does make firewood cutting faster than a 50cc saw.

Some of HELSEL's mad-fast saws, from a couple weekends ago:
GTG_14Small.jpg

The Pro version adds an adjustable oiler and a decompression button for easier starting, which causes less wear on the starting components. You can easily retrofit an adjustable oiler to a non-pro, should one want to.

computeruser said:
90cc is nothing. 120, 137cc, that's a saw! :clap:

Seriously, though, a the increase is really not that phenomenal until you get into cylinder port work, alternative fuels, expansion chambers. Fun stuff like that! But an big saw with a 20" bar does make firewood cutting faster than a 50cc saw.

Some of HELSEL's mad-fast saws, from a couple weekends ago:
GTG_14Small.jpg

The Pro version adds an adjustable oiler and a decompression button for easier starting, which causes less wear on the starting components. You can easily retrofit an adjustable oiler to a non-pro, should one want to.

Man, I sure do like them McCulloch Weedeaters, Those puppys are real screamers.

I had one with a bad shaft, and missing the air filter cover, and it was sun bleached...a junker.

I did some tweaking and got it to run...Then me and a buddy tortured it!

We ran it full throttle no load for 20 minutes. Then shut it off, no damage...

So we ran it again like that, and it didnt seem to mind, the plastic around the muffler started to deform slightly.

So we ran it again wide open for a little bit then dunked it, RUNNING into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Hydro locked....YAY, DEAD...

nope...Took the plug out, spun it over, plug back in, choke, and it cranked right up...:mad:
So we did that a few more times...no joy, it ran fine, no loss in power, so I dunked it in water while running, then took it out and let it sit for a weekend.

Came back on Monday, it was locked solid. little oil down the cylinder and it freed up, Cranked and ran, but the main bearings were LOUD...

So then we put straight gas in it, and ran it at idle for 10 minutes..then revved up for 5 minutes, and it locked up. Let it cool, and it started, so I taped the throttle wide open and tuned it super lean. Set it outside and ran.

It went about 10 minutes, believe it or not...then clink...it stopped so hard it knocked the whole thing over a couple times. took the plug out and it was pure white, almost clean looking. Piston was white.

It then freed up...:angry2: and proceeded to run...

So I gave up, put it on a shelf in the shop and hung a sign on it "" Invincible""

That was when I became a firm believer in MAC saws and trimmers. Ive seen other 2 strokes take normal use and die...

Now I have 6-7 Older macs, with the exposed head, and 10-12 Newer style 2816, road runner III trimmers.

I love em!

Latest posts

Back