Total Newbie in need of some advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the mod for the 346, what power gains will I see, will it be noticeable? Will it be a lot louder? What other mods could I do?
:hmm3grin2orange:[/QUOTE]

It will have a little power gain, It won't get pluged up in the exhaust so it will run cooler- more life. It will be louder!!!! Not sure about other mods. You can always put the screen back in if it is too loud for you.
Mark

RED-85-Z51 said:
Man, I sure do like them McCulloch Weedeaters, Those puppys are real screamers.

I had one with a bad shaft, and missing the air filter cover, and it was sun bleached...a junker.

I did some tweaking and got it to run...Then me and a buddy tortured it!

We ran it full throttle no load for 20 minutes. Then shut it off, no damage...

So we ran it again like that, and it didnt seem to mind, the plastic around the muffler started to deform slightly.

So we ran it again wide open for a little bit then dunked it, RUNNING into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Hydro locked....YAY, DEAD...

nope...Took the plug out, spun it over, plug back in, choke, and it cranked right up...:mad:
So we did that a few more times...no joy, it ran fine, no loss in power, so I dunked it in water while running, then took it out and let it sit for a weekend.

Came back on Monday, it was locked solid. little oil down the cylinder and it freed up, Cranked and ran, but the main bearings were LOUD...

So then we put straight gas in it, and ran it at idle for 10 minutes..then revved up for 5 minutes, and it locked up. Let it cool, and it started, so I taped the throttle wide open and tuned it super lean. Set it outside and ran.

It went about 10 minutes, believe it or not...then clink...it stopped so hard it knocked the whole thing over a couple times. took the plug out and it was pure white, almost clean looking. Piston was white.

It then freed up...:angry2: and proceeded to run...

So I gave up, put it on a shelf in the shop and hung a sign on it "" Invincible""

That was when I became a firm believer in MAC saws and trimmers. Ive seen other 2 strokes take normal use and die...

Now I have 6-7 Older macs, with the exposed head, and 10-12 Newer style 2816, road runner III trimmers.

I love em!
WOW, that sounds like a mean azz test!!! I just had one given to me, the guy said it just won't start, thinking it is probably the carb. I guess I'll have to play with it.
Mark

carvinmark said:
WOW, that sounds like a mean azz test!!! I just had one given to me, the guy said it just won't start, thinking it is probably the carb. I guess I'll have to play with it.
Mark

They dont look it, but they are tough as nails. That test gave me a whole new respect for em. They arent smooth like the old ones...but they do have good power, and are pretty quiet.

Ryan.s said:
90cc? ... speechless... do these saws have similar motors to 2 stroke dirtbikes? I'm just trying to fathom the type of power you would get out of a 90cc 2-cycle saw.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between the MS 260 and 260 Pro? The spec sheet shows the same specs for both.

I'm afraid you're right. It's not like I don't have enough addictions as it is.. On the mod for the 346, what power gains will I see, will it be noticeable? Will it be a lot louder? What other mods could I do?
:hmm3grin2orange:

I've got two in that category. An 066 which is 91cc/7+ hp/18 lbs, and a Husky 3120 which is 118cc/8.5+ hp/and 23 lbs.

That is stock form. A couple of guys on here could help that out a bit.

Power is a cool thing. Going from an "old tech" Homie Super XL to the 066 was an eye opener to be sure.

Mark

carvinmark said:
You Have the addiction. About the muffler on the 346, Pull the plastic cover off, then unscrew the outlet cover on the muffler. Then remove the screen mesh, reassemble without the screen. About a five minute job. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN any screws on the saw, they can strip very easy.
Mark

...what about the piece called the "gasket" ? can it be left off too?...it's the extra piece on the cs-346 that's not on the cs-345. ..it covers up part of the exhaust opening and is between the screen and the outer piece which is called the "lid"...

Latest posts

Back