Two stroke fuel ratios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any heavy oil ratio requires a good detergent package & sharper tune to ensure complete combustion to prevent oil residue from accumulating . If you have drool or sponge then your tune , oil or quality of fuel is not adequate for your application !
I've been running the same ratio and oil for a few years now, it was only an issue with the new saw set rich and going easy on it breaking it in. When I run them normally bucking up a wood pile they're fine.
I figure the ported clones can use a little extra oil to help keep em together.

I've been running the same ratio and oil for a few years now, it was only an issue with the new saw set rich and going easy on it breaking it in. When I run them normally bucking up a wood pile they're fine.
I figure the ported clones can use a little extra oil to help keep em together.
Yeah , thats healthy for break in , the 1st tank . I run a little richer oil ratio & fatter on the tune on all my Commercial saws , especially ported ! They run higher rpm & usually a little hotter , so there is very little residue top side since I try to keep them wicked up , but plenty within the crankcase during storage . All is good brother !

They sell the Saber in Quarts Kevin , #ATPQT / $ 11.89 USD a quart , Wolfy needed a quart for his Arborist Stihl MS 200 top handles last fall lol.
Yep I figured they did. Where I was looking at the time they had Dom quarts and Saber in smaller bottles

I ran a Homelite 7-19C with I'm thinking a 1/2 pint to the gallon of Quaker State 30 weight in the green can. And, used burnt motor oil for bar oil. Sold a lot of firewood that way back in the early 70's .
I'm not sure what you would have gained by using modern oils. Reason being the starter mechanism and everything else were just unreliable.

Yeah , thats the old School oil 24:1 , 20:1 & 16:1 ratio's , prior to 2 stroke engine oil development . Back in the late 50's & early 60's a quart of Sae. straight 30 4 cycle oil within a gallon of gas was normal . As JR previously mentioned its very effective within mosquitoes & blackfly suppression . However , used motor oil for bar oil usage was never an excepted practice in my neck of the woods brother ! ;)
Like this i am sure. oils.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1446554253...rentrq:f68f99d01870ad33af90ab1afffd2174|iid:1

I made the mistake of buying a bottle of interceptor at rural king i forget it has no color at all. It lubes well if you can get past the lack of color.
Yep , that's because it is primarily designed for oil injection systems remember Jake ? Although , it can be used also as a premix oil , since it has a low pour point !

They sell the Saber in Quarts Kevin , #ATPQT / $ 11.89 USD a quart , Wolfy needed a quart for his Arborist Stihl MS 200 top handles last fall lol.
Amsoil has gone up again here in Australia.

It’s $18 USD ($28 Australian dollars) per quart and shipping is $11.50 USD ($16.50 Australian) that makes it $30 USD ($44.5 Australian dollars).

Your $11.89 USD per quart sounds fantastic. We can’t even get fb rated garden castrol mineral at that price per quart…

Edit:

$50 usd / $72.5 Australian.. it’s not so bad as I repair and sell the equipment it goes in, but it still sucks!

9A0B08F2-4160-4B9D-9513-E038F14AE8E8.jpeg

It’s $18 USD ($28 Australian dollars) per quart and shipping is $11.50 USD ($16.50 Australian) that makes it $30 USD ($44.5 Australian dollars).

Your $11.89 USD per quart sounds fantastic. We can’t even get fb rated garden castrol mineral at that price per quart…

Edit:

$50 usd / $72.5 Australian.. it’s not so bad as I repair and sell the equipment it goes in, but it still sucks!

View attachment 1080933
Opti 2 is comparable but don't get heavy with the ratio.

Edit:

View attachment 1080933
Yeah , iam in the same position with Motul & Maxima along with a few other American manufactured premium oils over $30 a quart. I have been a loyal Amsoil customer since 2010 , so I recieve preferred rate . I complain all the time about the difference , apparently I should be grateful that I don't pay your price . Although the Red Armor 5 gal pail I bought last fall for $150 tax & shipping included is through the roof now lol . P.S. I pay $15.19 for Saber , $15.80 for Dominator. & $14.70 for Interceptor CDN a quart a little cheaper if I buy by the gallon .

Opti 2 is comparable but don't get heavy with the ratio.
Opti 2 & Quaker State 2T is what Polaris Central spec'd for our RXL factory Midnight Blue Express race sleds in 1978 . It was a premium racé oil back then . It ran well in the Centurian & Liberty era engines back then , not sure how it would perform in the new Patroit engine platform in my 2016 Assault Axis lol.

Same here. Ended up mixing it in with something else with dye
I have all my containers clearly labelled saw , trimmer , sled , bike . Since the ratio's vary . My boat is 4T so no mix & my sleds are all Injector primarily which I just fill the oil reservoir with Interceptor . My Polaris 1978 650 RXL Triple was running Interceptor premix @ 40:1 , last fall I switched to Red Armor @ 50:1 after a 1week trial between 40:1 & 50:1 . My Polaris 2003 700 SKS Twin with it oil injection still runs Interceptor . My Can Am Qualifier & Husquarna MX Dirt bikes both were running Interceptor Pre-mix @ 40:1 but may switch to Red Armor also , gotta use up the 5 Gallon jug , don't have a lot of pre-mix usage anymore lol .

Opti 2 & Quaker State 2T is what Polaris Central spec'd for our RXL factory Midnight Blue Express race sleds in 1978 . It was a premium racé oil back then . It ran well in the Centurian & Liberty era engines back then , not sure how it would perform in the new Patroit engine platform in my 2016 Assault Axis lol.
I had trouble with opti 2 mixing heavier than 50:1 i suppose the viscosity has something to do with it. At work there is a 1 gallon container with a pump and it is usually two pumps per gallon it works out to 2 ounces per gallon. It does leave a nice oil film on everything.

I had trouble with opti 2 mixing heavier than 50:1 i suppose the viscosity has something to do with it. At work there is a 1 gallon container with a pump and it is usually two pumps per gallon it works out to 2 ounces per gallon. It does leave a nice oil film on everything.
It & Quaker State , were light years a head of the competition . We ran exclusively 40:1 in our factory Starfire engines which were tuned to the limit . The factory engine designers & engineers did hours of Dyno testing , followed by track performance testing to validate everything . Opti 2 , much like Saber is a heavier viscosity oil but without as good a detergent additive package imo , you have to be on point with your tuning . Then in the 80's both oils a became scarce North of the Border for some reason !

Latest posts

Back