Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok y'all, If you had an unlimited budget, what new saw would you purchase first? Mine would be a MS 261 C-M.

Ok y'all, If you had an unlimited budget, what new saw would you purchase first? Mine would be a MS 261 C-M.

Hmmm well I have a ms660 so I'm good there. If Stihl had a ms461 with m-tronic then is go for that. But seeming as they don't I would do a Husqvarna 576xp auto tune. At this point.

ALERT--Mcculloch 7-10A arrived--good compression-starter pawls stuck-broke rope-muffler rusted out--But bolts came out ok. Heavy corrosion on bottom at handle mount and hole in starter cover=no air filter-sprocket nose bar shot-chain about worn out /rusted links,compression release good--little j8 spark plug-no spark test yet. Exhaust on bottom--End up taking saw apart to block to clean crud from exhaust port--May go all the way with crank seals -gaskets-seals--Rim drive sproket--saw high busted. Lotta work and some maybes--may go whole hog and paint it----Gonna be a good saw--David

ALERT--Mcculloch 7-10A arrived--good compression-starter pawls stuck-broke rope-muffler rusted out--But bolts came out ok. Heavy corrosion on bottom at handle mount and hole in starter cover=no air filter-sprocket nose bar shot-chain about worn out /rusted links,compression release good--little j8 spark plug-no spark test yet. Exhaust on bottom--End up taking saw apart to block to clean crud from exhaust port--May go all the way with crank seals -gaskets-seals--Rim drive sproket--saw high busted. Lotta work and some maybes--may go whole hog and paint it----Gonna be a good saw--David

Where are the pictures?

Setting aside $$ from now til april 1st for camping trip. Last 2 trips I found saws and spent time at truck tail gate with tools taking saw down and cleaning parts at the camp site--real fun to do while out in the swamp. 1st time bought a poulan sand cast bow from a guy who deals in junk(spread all around his house in the yard). 2nd time same guy had a husky 268se,homelite xl12 locked up and a david bradley. I bought the 1st 2 and tore down the 268 at camp site--All faded covers-sand every where but carb-crank seal rubber torn missing--I think it got left in the woods for years -all internals looked good. This trip I will bring a saw just in case he is out--Ha Ha--enjoying the nature

Solo twin! :rock:
Found one of those in the bottom of a pile of chainsaws sitting in the back of a truck for the last 20 yrs.
It was retired because a bolt came loose behind the flywheel.It has good pistons and cylinders.And spark.
I need to find an air filter,they are made from stacked tin plates water made it through everything to the airfilter and rusted it beyond use.
One neat thing about these saws besides they are twins,is that the flywheel nut is also the flywheel puller

Attachments

• photo0324.jpg
    photo0324.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 7
Found one of those in the bottom of a pile of chainsaws sitting in the back of a truck for the last 20 yrs.
It was retired because a bolt came loose behind the flywheel.It has good pistons and cylinders.And spark.
I need to find an air filter,they are made from stacked tin plates water made it through everything to the airfilter and rusted it beyond use.
One neat thing about these saws besides they are twins,is that the flywheel nut is also the flywheel puller
That is a sweet find

That is a sweet find! I would love to have one eventually, it's probably my favorite sounding Saw right now!

And as for a new saw with no budget, would probably have to be a J-Red CS2172 with a woods port with a 24" polished J-red/Total Bar.

That's a great story. I dream about finding a stack of saws lol

Back