Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That D-30 is very clean indeed. If you try to start it you will understand why they stopped making them that way.

You will also noticed there is no oil tank, chain was to be lubricated by the crankcase residue running a 10:1 mix.

Mark
Doesn't look to fun.
Each one of those has a non typical starter, very cool.

Hi guys.. Dumb question.. I just got a 1-40. So I don't tear it down and screw it up. What's the round canister looking thingamabob right in back of the gas tank?View attachment 640649
I sure hope your not asking me, I've never had my hands on one of those.
But I did have a chevy that had a coil that looked a bit like that one time, but I removed it and switched to HEI.
Not sure if that helps though lol.
I'm here for the learning :reading:, and I'm sure we're both about to:cheers:.
Nice saw by the way :).

Hi guys.. Dumb question.. I just got a 1-40. So I don't tear it down and screw it up. What's the round canister looking thingamabob right in back of the gas tank?View attachment 640649
Mr Mark will correct me if I'm wrong and elaborate more if I am at least halfway right, but some of those models had their oil tank there, but I see no filler cap

Nice, I need a couple of them, that way I can line them up and test the big bars too :).
Did you get the int bike too, it was a trek!

Crap piled next to my Coleman pop-up garage/shed/shop

b4e70b68938286130a88bbb6f8018d40.jpg
with a faded baby blue going on 6 years “temporary” 32’ shipping container that is ifo my house in the driveway cause it was going to be temporary [emoji13]

Erik

I’m hoping someone has a good, but crusty, cheap crankcase. I have two other good crankcases but they have good crankshafts, good cylinders and pistons, so I don’t want to use those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always on the lookout for Good,Crusty and Cheap--machinery that iso_O

That "canister looking thing: ...look at the starter on the D-30 in post 13414 and the mystery of the canister will be explained.

The 1-40 and 1-50 were modified from the center pull starters but that starter housing remained, later saws had the more conventional top and that starter housing disappeared.

Starting with the 1-41/51 the oil tank was in that same approximate location as the "canister" but looked much different. The D-30/36, 1-40, and 1-50 all had no separate oil tank, bar lubrication was "crankcase residue and heavy condensate" that was channeled to the bar that required running a 10:1 mix ratio. When that proved unsuccessful they made a conversion kit with a divider that placed the oil tank in front of the fuel tank with a manual pump. Better than the "Lubri-Mac" system but still not very convenient.

This is a 1-40 with the oil tank conversion on the front of the fuel tank. There was an aluminum divider plate that went between the fuel tank and the new front cover to create separate fuel and oil tanks.

McCulloch 1-40 patopgut1.jpg

This is a 1-42 with the oil tank in the same approximate location as the "canister", notice how McCulloch was using up those modified front covers as the front of the fuel tank on these saws. Waste not, want not.

McCulloch 1-42 5.JPG

Mark

That "canister looking thing: ...look at the starter on the D-30 in post 13414 and the mystery of the canister will be explained.

The 1-40 and 1-50 were modified from the center pull starters but that starter housing remained, later saws had the more conventional top and that starter housing disappeared.

Starting with the 1-41/51 the oil tank was in that same approximate location as the "canister" but looked much different. The D-30/36, 1-40, and 1-50 all had no separate oil tank, bar lubrication was "crankcase residue and heavy condensate" that was channeled to the bar that required running a 10:1 mix ratio. When that proved unsuccessful they made a conversion kit with a divider that placed the oil tank in front of the fuel tank with a manual pump. Better than the "Lubri-Mac" system but still not very convenient.

This is a 1-40 with the oil tank conversion on the front of the fuel tank. There was an aluminum divider plate that went between the fuel tank and the new front cover to create separate fuel and oil tanks.

View attachment 640718

This is a 1-42 with the oil tank in the same approximate location as the "canister", notice how McCulloch was using up those modified front covers as the front of the fuel tank on these saws. Waste not, want not.

View attachment 640719

Mark

Good stuff as always.
Front on the D30
3c5322169b7f005b5aac5938535a5072.jpg
40483f27c8fcdd1905e5c0bd53986761.jpg

Erik

Crap piled next to my Coleman pop-up garage/shed/shop

b4e70b68938286130a88bbb6f8018d40.jpg
with a faded baby blue going on 6 years “temporary” 32’ shipping container that is ifo my house in the driveway cause it was going to be temporary
emoji13.png

Erik

View attachment 640718

View attachment 640719

Mark
Always on the lookout for Good,Crusty and Cheap--machinery that iso_O

View attachment 640718

View attachment 640719

Mark
Mark,.,. Just a quick question.. Is there a McCullough Heritage Museum in L. A.? And are you the curator? That's 2 questions, but then again, that's why YOU make the big bucks. Good info. Thanks. K

Looks like you could take that manuel starter out of that hump and put an electric starter in.

Steve
Steve, you're not too far afield with that thought. My 1-70 was so temperamental and not to mention, would take your arm off sometimes when it would kick-back. So I punch the screen out, (almost literally), and me and Mr Dewalt would getter go'en thataway. Was the only saw I had at that time. Do what we had to. And since the cord was strung out anyway, appropriated the wife's heater and used it in the meantime. Still hearing about that. Cheers. K

Latest posts

Back