Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary $h!t there, get well soon. Same thing for me last winter but it only got my left shoulder and collar bone. 2-300lb live wet red oak chunk missed my unprotected head by a inch or 2. Stuff happens so fast, I had no idea it was comin. I was a groundie tending ropes when I got hit.
Yeah, it's isane, no matter how careful you are sometimes you just slip up and don't see it coming.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I try to always look up before going under tree but when the tree is 100+ high w/ leaves on the branches it's impossible to see everything up there waiting to crush you. Between the chipper/saws running and wearing ear muffs you can't hear much. So you won't hear it cracking/coming down or possibly hear some one yelling Run!

Here is a better pic of where it grazed me
21c5a63480ab478299dafe35698ea39f.jpg
9efa2adb7380fab5b33520381363a04f.jpg

Surprisingly I still have an itch to fall trees, but I will now be forever skittish of trees with broken tops or have had other trees fall into them, because that's ultimately what got me.

On a good note I feel alot better today than I thought I would lol.

Ohh and I won't ever try to wedge a big hardwood against it's lean, because that's what started the hole thing, if I would have originally planned on falling the tree that way I would have removed the trees that got me first so there wouldn't be anything for it to fall against

Dad has tried to get me to drop a few trees against it lean, no way, not without the Bobcat forcing it against it's lean.

Steve
Pine trees are easy, their center of gravity is not far from the main stem and they aren't that dense, but when you add the weight of a large crown, the density of the hardwood and a 20"+ stem, you get so heavy traditional wedges won't lift it, which I learned the hard way

We've forced a few hard woods, not many, and those were Sweetgum trees. Oaks, they go with the lean.

Steve
Yeah sweet gum is a lot less dense than oak, and this stuff was pecan so it was even more dense than oak

Latest posts

Back