Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a welder buddy who says he can weld it if I by the rod, but I'm exploring all options first.
Im not trying to doubt your buddy, but those magnesium parts are very difficult to weld and could very well ruin the part trying to get it to stick. I had a couple different people try and weld mag parts for me and one gentleman has been welding the majority of his life and he was in his 50's and still couldnt get it to stick. So like you said explore every option and if the only other option is to weld, be very certain an individual who welds chainsaws on a regular basis is the person who does the welding, or at least get some old magnesium stuff to have them practice on first.

One can hope
If you are on facebook and in the chainsaw groups, you can make a post about wanting one. Someone actually made a post 2 days ago about wanting one and people came out of the wood work. You just need to be on every available platform to find the saws your looking for.

Im not trying to doubt your buddy, but those magnesium parts are very difficult to weld and could very well ruin the part trying to get it to stick. I had a couple different people try and weld mag parts for me and one gentleman has been welding the majority of his life and he was in his 50's and still couldnt get it to stick. So like you said explore every option and if the only other option is to weld, be very certain an individual who welds chainsaws on a regular basis is the person who does the welding, or at least get some old magnesium stuff to have them practice on first.

@Scarr52 & @rocketnorton have experience in this specific field.

You are 1000% correct though, Magnesium is a different bird.

I understand the principle of the bow bar and have used mine a time or two just as a demonstration. They are well suited to bucking small diameter logs laying on the ground and virtually eliminate the problem of getting the bar pinched as the kerf closes behind a cut when the log is supported at the ends.

I don't understand the benefits of the "brush" or "clearing" bow type bars with the greater reach and smaller radius at the end. Can anyone explain the purpose of those type bars? I saw a couple hanging in a shop in Oregon that supposedly fit a Mini Mac saw, the owner of the shop said they came from a Christmas tree farm.

Mark

Christmas tree farmers love them for felling Christmas Trees.

Say They don’t pinch as easy. [emoji38]

So I recently bought a 795 off a guy that said he had a box of spare parts that came with it. I was thinking "oh, he's probably got some extra hardware and a few spare pieces." Nope... guy had a box of parts that's gotta be ~90% of a saw. Im more excited about that than the complete saw I got from him :)

Im starting to clean everything up and get stuff sorted before I try and piece it together.
20180826_225009.jpg
20180831_124226.jpg
20180831_124323.jpg

So I recently bought a 795 off a guy that said he had a box of spare parts that came with it. I was thinking "oh, he's probably got some extra hardware and a few spare pieces." Nope... guy had a box of parts that's gotta be ~90% of a saw. Im more excited about that than the complete saw I got from him :)

Im starting to clean everything up and get stuff sorted before I try and piece it together.
View attachment 671951
View attachment 671952
View attachment 671953

This parts saw is not a 795, It's the 795's big brotha the 797. 123cc's of nice power. Well worth
the effort to put back together and in running condition.

This parts saw is not a 795, It's the 795's big brotha the 797. 123cc's of nice power. Well worth
the effort to put back together and in running condition.
Good to know. I was wondering about what it was exactly. Theres no markings or anything on it, not even the usual pair of numbers stamped on the underside/base of the engine.

Looks like Mark is gonna come through with the bits I need for less than it would cost for me to buy the rod for my buddy to weld it up.
That's good news. Repairing that gearcase seemed a bit much. Probably for the better to just replace everything rather than repair.

Not a basket case but a box case for sure--When you finally get it running --what a great day!!

View attachment 671951
View attachment 671952
View attachment 671953[/QUOTE

Christmas tree farmers love them for felling Christmas Trees.

Say They don’t pinch as easy. [emoji38]

From what I gather about clearing bows, their open shape allows you to use them as a bow har, more or less. Their long shape also allows you to use them as a straight bar to buck logs normally--you can't do this with a true bow. It's a compromise--all the danger of a bow bar, less flexibility than a straight bar. I have a couple, haven't found them interesting.

Homelite really loved them it seems. I've seen some old literature pushing the use of the clearing bar in the above fashion.

Chris B.

Got a 2stroke question, not a saw.
I've got an Earthquake post hole digger that shots blue flames out the exhaust. It idles great no bog from idle to WOT. Runs strong on top end with no stalling. I runs great but after digging a hole for five minutes or so it will make a rumble type noise in muffler and start blowing out blue flames til you let off the throttle. Muffler is a catalyst type. Could that be causing my issue?

Steve

Back