Want a bigger firewood saw - 4 choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw do you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingOFgEEEks

Out, standing in my field.
Reaction score
OK, I am thinking about getting a bigger saw to pull a 24" bar. My MS310 works hard and is a good saw, but when I get into the big stuff, it really has a hard time.

I have also gotten into some (not tons, but some) wood that is bigger than 40", meaning I need to come up with a longer bar, and the MS310 just isn't going to pull a longer bar. And I want a backup saw anyway.

That being said, here are the current saws under consideration:

Stihl MS 441 - I have a Stihl now. I like my Stihl. There is a good Stihl dealer about 25 miles away. This is the one I am leaning towards, but it is the most expensive.

Dolmar 7910 - Bigger displacement. There is a Dolmar dealer about 15 miles away. This is my #2 choice.

Husky 372XP - Everyone that has one likes them. I don't have a Husky dealer nearby, so I would probably buy online

Husky 576XPAT - Another popular choice here. Less $$ than Stihl. Same as the 372, no local dealer.

So, I know this has been asked before by a lot of people, but what is everyone's opinion?

Since you already have a Stihl, there would be some advantage to staying with that. The bar and chain on the 310 and 441 would be interchangeable should one saw break or get damaged. (I am assuming you have 3/8 pitch chain on the 310)
All the Stihls up to and including the MS660 use the 3003 mount bar that the 310 uses.
The 310 isn't a small saw, so you may want to consider going even larger than the 441. If cost is the issue, consider finding a good used one. The MS460 and MS660 saws typically go for $500 to $750 in decent shape with $600 being pretty typical.

Yes, the 310 has a 3/8" chain setup on it, so the bar would be usable on the bigger Stihl.

I considered going used, and there is a great looking 044 in the trading post right now, but then I thought about the price difference between new and used, and really, by the time I buy a bar and chain for the 044, and either get it shipped or go pick it up, the price differential starts making new look attractive.

And the used 066/660's around here are either completely flogged logger's saws, or people think they are made of solid gold (one on CL right now for $900.00).

At least my wife sees the logic in having a big saw, especially when I used the tactic that "it's only about the cost of 2 tanks of oil, and I'll have it for YEARS!" :D

all are great saws. I would agree with fearofpavement, if ur talking about 30-40" trees, 70cc may not be enough. a nice used 660 or other 80cc class saw will be a lot of fun to run a 24-28" bar (and even more fun w 20"bar!!) find the right saw for you dont limit yourself. But, i would think most guys on here would say that out of those 4, the dolmar would be the right choice

372 is tried an true! any saw will break down with time and use, so with your dealer an extra few miles away parts are an issue! reliability is an even bigger issue, so knowing which parts are common to fail is a smart move to know with what ever saw you buy! knowing this and preparing for this advent is a smarter issue saving time and money from stopping work and more time in travel... if you are able to do major and deep repairs it's probably not to much of a bother then? but on the other hand if your not then probably better off using a hand saw/axe or (back to the waiting/repair shop)......

I have a 395xp a 288 xp 372xp ms 261. I logged out a grove this week and run a 36" bar on the 395 and a 24 on the 372. Lots of sheer grunt with the 395xp but that bastard gets heavy after a while. I really do like the 372. But I have used a friends dollar 7900 that l like more than my 372. The only reason that I went with the husky over the dolmar is the husky dealer support is superior. The old muffler modded 288 runs pretty hard too!

I just bought a 441 from a member on this site a couple months ago and it is a great saw. I used a MS290 before and this one will run circles around it. I have the Mtronic version and once it has had a few tanks of gas ran through it and it dials in it rips through just about anything. I am using the stock 25" bar with RS chain and it puts the 290 to shame. I really like my 290 and it has helped process several cords of wood but for the difference in weight I seem to pick up the 441 more often now and just use it for about any size log due to its speed.

I have a 441RCM with a 28 inch ES lite bar and I love it. Super smooth and plenty of power. I went from a 361 to a 440, then it got stolen and I got the 441 and it rips!

Husqvarna with no dealer nearby , no no ...
I would take 441 CM , but you have to try which one feels better in your hands stihl or dolmar

I voted 576 before I read your post so with that being said I would go with the best Stihl you can afford. I would advise you to go with the 461 or 661 being you already have a nice sized saw, but my advise is only worth what you paid for it.

Thanks for the input everybody. As I said in my first post, I was leaning towards Stihl, and I believe that I will head to the dealer this weekend and check one out, but now I will look at the 441 and 461 both, if they have them in stock. I can be patient if I need to wait for them to order one, since I will be dropping over a grand on something that I plan on keeping for a long time.

I just added an 066 from the trading post here to my MS290 and Husky 61. I put a 32" bar and a full skip chain on it. I ran it for an hour on Sunday and didn't stop grinning all day! I think all the warning labels on the combo are what make it for me "This is a dangerous piece of equipment and if you had any brains you'd return it and buy something more sensible like a butter knife." :chainsaw:

Seriously though it is easily twice as fast at bucking up firewood than the 61.

I started out with the same saw as you. I now have an MS460 and a 5105. I like them both but I really like the Dolmar and since you didn't list the 460 as an option I went 7910. I've never ran one but I have never seen anyone on here who wrote that they weren't impressed by one. Plus you say the dealer is close. Makes it a no brainer to me.

I voted 372. Very proven saw.

If you buy new you shouldn't have a need to visit a dealer for a long time barring any mishaps, negating the issue with no close Husky dealer. However I didn't see if you mentioned how much wood you plan to cut per year with this saw. So that variable could change my thinking.

372xp

Best saw in the lineup tried and true
Aside from the 576 . Why not consider a 562xp it would handily out cut a stihl 310 in big wood . Ergo design it weighs only 12 pounds and revs to the moon

Latest posts

Back